Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

i just found locking gas cap for cruze

18K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  slothcruzer 
#1 ·
i just found locking gas cap for cruze : Stant 11504

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Would take a very close look at if, personally always had problems with Stant products, could end up with fuel evaporative codes. Really not concerned about someone siphoning gas out of the tank, almost next to impossible since they moved the tank under the rear seat.

Major concern is having a nice looking daughter that turns down a date from some freak and he ends up pouring sugar in her gas tank. Another factor with locking gas caps, may find that one key fits all. Cruze could have very cheaply added a locking door. Just a simple cable on a cheap plastic handle you can pull after you open the trunk. Or even a ten cent switch to trigger the vehicle's alarm.

#4 ·
+1 on the fact that an ill-fitting gas cap can/does throw a "...air leak..." CEL.

#5 ·
I was able to get the locking cap from my wifes 2005 malibu Classic to fit it and lock but it did not seal so I would think it would throw code and get a CEL. (according to a co worker is OK The car still runs! I don't agree!!!!! He just bought a car for his son and it has a CEL but it runs so who cares. His car is a 97 POS and has a CEL but it runs! Not worth fixing. I asked how much gas is it wasting with the CEL. He doesn't care it runs!) Talk about duh!

#9 ·
Was thinking about adding a spring loaded rod I can pull with a string from my trunk so that door would be locked. But all cheap plastic, a screwdriver is all one needs to wreck it.

88 Supra Turbo has that arrangement, but all solid steel. What my Supra has in common with my Cruze, the gas cap is located on the wrong side of the car, so got use to that driving in on the wrong side of the gas station pumps.

Not bad at 5:00 AM in the morning when filling up, but a bit testy at a busy gas station. No, the hoses aren't long enough to reach the other side of these cars. Already tried that.

#17 ·
Murphy's law states that when you fill your tank, this is when your in-tank fuel pump will die. For good safety reasons, moved the tank to under the rear seat on all vehicles. Even on a 27 gallon filled to the top SUV, that's an extra 162 pounds of weight.

Impossible to siphon out the gas from the filler tube, even tried hanging a weight at the end of the hose. Only way to drain it was to use an external fuel pump, but have three lines going into the tank, the fuel feed line is the one, others are the recir and vent lines. Then where to put that gas, ha, motorhome worked for this, has an 80 gallon tank.

Filler goes into the side of that tank, remove that and will get soaked with gas, no wonder why they charge around a thousand bucks to do this in a shop. Also had to drop the exhaust from the cat back for clearance. Rare to find a vehicle with an access plate to replace the fuel pump, would only cost a couple of bucks extra, but sure makes this job a heck of a lot easier.

Why do they mount the pump inside of the tank? It cheaper, can make a dirt cheap motor that pulls anywhere from 60 to 120 watts that depends on the gas to keep it cool. Run these on a bench in free air under pressure, they will burn up. If the pressure output is less than the fuel regulator, don't get recir, will burn up quickly. This can be caused by a poor electrical connection.

Only owned two vehicles with an external fuel pump, an 84 and a 85 Honda, very easy to replace, but because they were, never had problems with them.

Recall the good old days with an engine driven fuel pump, could buy a rebuild kit for a buck and be done in less than 20 minutes.

Why do we, the people put up with these BS? Cheapest fuel pump for the Cruze I can find on the net is 256 bucks, and positively miserable to replace. But dey all do dis.

#23 ·
just like i want to slap the engineer that programed the CTd horrible throttle response i want to especially slap the bean counter that said.. sure lets not have a locking gas door to save 2$.. now if other markets have it would it be hard to run the cable and hardware since i assume the point sin the frame are ready for it.

#24 ·
My 2012 fuel flap locks when the doors are locked, I find it hard to believe that any modern car comes without a locking cap. Even a Toyota mini van I bought new in 1984 came with a key lock on the fuel cap.
hmm that's interesting, ill check mine to see if it does on my 2015

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.