Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Merc6 Build Thread

Tags
build merc6
59K views 102 replies 25 participants last post by  Blasirl 
#1 · (Edited)
​2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevrolet Cruze Eco 1.4T 6MT

I guess it's about time I started one of these instead of posting a million threads.

Mod list will grow as I remember/complete them.

Exterior

*Black Reflective Vinyl Front/Rear Bowties and Side Markers
*Grafx Werks Red Tail Overlays W/ Reverse Cutout
*Debadged Trunk Lid
*Malibu 2.0T Turbo Badge
*5D Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Chrome Trunk Bar
*Autozone Chrome Exhaust Tip
*LTZ (GM Accessories) Exterior Handles Upgrade
*VG Shark Fin Antenna
*Z Spec Grille

Interior

*Hot Wheels Camaro Wheel Swap
*RS Gauge Cluster Swap
*5D Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Interior Pieces
*Weathertech Floor Mats Front and Back
*Eco Drivers Convenience Package Trunk Panel
*Korean OEM Sunglasses Holder
*Trunk Cargo net

Engine

*NGK BKR8EIX Plugs
*Intake Snorkel Delete
*Airbox Opening Enlarged
*Zip Tube Now Hard Pipe
*K&N Panel Filter

In the works/Future:

*Sell parts at Lordstown Meet as the car is gone as of 12/5/15
*Weathertech Floor Liners $70
*VG Fin $40
*LTZ Handles $40
*Eco Drivers Convenience Storage Panel $20
*Korean Sunglass Holder $8
*Custom Airbox $Free
*K&N Panel Filter
*Cargo net $15

***Link to most parts used during this build can be found here***

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/94-cruze-owner-projects/84457-merc6-build-thread-4.html#post2265505

See less See more
#44 · (Edited)
Only tools needed, for me at least.

Level of difficulty is probably 5 or 6 but patience level is 8 or 9.

1st I had to source a set of RS gauges

They could, or could not for all I know even power on. The set I had included a security seal for warranty purposes. When I took the seal off the housing underneath was damaged to the point removing the sticker broke the structural integrity of the bottom where it bolts into the car. Still on the fence if I'm even going to reveal the seller at this point even tho i lucked out an the only part of the cluster that wasn't broken is the parts I needed.

Point is, I only needed this section of the gauges to complete the swap while retaining the cluster I already have for accurate mileage and simplicity.

This would be what most people already have on the non RS set. (red is from the dip in 1st page of this thread)

At the same time, if you scratched the mess out of your gauges trying to remove the wheel to dip/vinyl. you also have this clear plastic piece left over from the donor cluster.

Once you remove the tabs for just the clear bezel/chrome ring, you can now go to your car and get ready for tear down.

The upper piece just snaps on but be careful as this is the patience is needed. I gently pulled up at the loops where the turn sig and wipers stalks sit. Interior pieces come apart but don't necessarily come apart and go back right depending on how violent you remove it. Reason my donor gauges are broke in areas I couldn't even reuse it as a direct swap because whoever removed it didn't care about them going back into another vehicle upon removal.

Underneath that piece is 2 bolts we need to remove(most damaged part of my gauges)

That's where you need the angle tool to remove them. Puling the wheel out and down is best angle to get to them.

Top of this you want to gently starting from the back lift up gently and rotate towards you like a door hinge.

Then you only need to remove the top 3 center bolts of the 6 pictured.

After that the 5 bolts (3 center top and 2 bottom under faux leather strip) holding the cluster should now allow it to come out.

I didn't take pics after this as it was 11*F out but the connector for the gauges is a press down and rotate up tab. no tools was needed just patience.

Once out, the next 3 bolts on the top can come out. The ones on the bottom row of the picture

From there this thread will help you separate the pieces. I was able to gently use my fingers and finger nail to release the tabs so that's how fragile this could be. patience is there because the angle you sit to remove the gauges kinds sucks. You are sitting down but you are leaning forward a bit over the wheel putting stress on your back. On the RS it's confusing but on the Non RS the black tabs are the ones you take off...

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-a...-instrument-cluster-warning-large-images.html

When it goes back in reverse order, look at the tabs on the bottom and here plus the lip to get an idea how it goes back on. Picture was to show the tabs, don't install it like this. the lip at the top slides into the top of the gauges then it rotates down opposite of the glove box on the dash.

#47 · (Edited)
#48 ·
I got my new tip to replace the one that's rusting out. I missed a design flaw that will be more apparent in pics to come. Tape was for me to not lose the supplied allen when it comes time for instal.

Universal Car Chrome Exhaust Muffler Tail Pipe Dual Tip 48-58mm Stainless Steel Sale - Banggood.com

I'm sure this translates to "He fell for it"

Bottom of it

Now the pics you won't see on eBay or banggood

I'll see if I can close those openings at the top and bottom, paint the inside black, and clear the shinny bits.

#54 · (Edited)
One thing I was debating on if I got a RS rear bumper to replace my damaged one was to delete the mesh bottom and somehow transfer these exhaust pipes on the ends of it. Then I would open it up so the real pipes float behind it like on the Mazdaspeed 6

Reality may be just poke real tips out and mesh the between area with a backer so you can't just see suspension and stuff.

#57 ·
I'm confused ... you took all the time to black out and/or remove the chrome parts on the car ... then go add chrome door handles? Car still looks good though, and reminds me of the '12 Eco I traded on my Volt. I miss my Eco

#60 · (Edited)
The 2 tips up close and off the car.

This is w/o me holding it at an angle.

If I cut the exhaust pipe a little put it could fit.

Depending on how that goes, I may paint them like the other car if they rust fast.

I used the same engine paint w/ ceramic on the intake tube since it got scratched up. Don't expect it to make the temps super colder, just wanted to practice using it before I start painting other things.

#61 · (Edited)
Only new thing since last was the last minute install of the tips before Lordstown. I didn't do as much as I wanted to with them so this was a last minute thing. The stock tip had to be trimmed back about a quarter of an inch so these could tuck up under the bumper and not look like the post above.

Clear engine ceramic enamel paint after doing the insides with black engine ceramic enamel.

So looking at the 3rd picture with the top and bottom bypassing the tips completely you already know how this ended up going horribly wrong.

This was after a short drive from home to Lordstown

Here was after Lordstown

These shots makes it look completely crooked

This one makes it look slightly angled to follow the bumper contour.

May black them out if they don't clean up a bit.

#72 ·
Thought I replied to this comment. Must have had a senior moment and didn't hit post and logged off.

Most of the car has been returned to stock for a few attempts to trade in. So painful to have a chrome trunk bar again. I have some stuff I have that won't go on until I am sure I want to get rid of the car or not. At this point fixing the other car is higher a priority than dropping a down payment on a new lease vehicle.

#73 ·

I actually gave in and tried to do a real quick dip job in between the for sale or vinyl stage. As I removed the tape for the last coat this happened... Soo pissed after all that wasted time.

Ended up back to chrome in picture 1 after the dip dried enough to peel it back off.

#74 ·
I still haven't decided on if I will trade the car in or not. I got some new mods I'm holding off on doing. Newest mod I have done is..... Hit & Run damage on my drivers door from street side parking. Going to get an estimate to see if it's at the amount of my delectable, most likely it will exceed it if they blend door and fender.

#75 ·
My parts came in, now I just have to decide how I want to configure on and apply the other. After wiping the surface clean with soap and microfiber, the damage is still into the paint but not as horrible looking. No paint transfer leads me to believe it was a landscaping trailer or the random mystery tire laying against the curb 2 driveways in front of me.

Pics of the mods will surface hopefully this weekend. I also have another tip swap in the works as well if weather permits.

#76 ·
Another mod complete, well sort of. I went and finally done the Vinyl that been trying to do for years. I messed it up as this is my 1st time trying to vinyl curved pieces. The pics may or may not show all the flaws from my instal but kinda show how it would look when I get it right. Trunk bar (original reason for the vinyl push) isn't done due to winter quickly rushing into the area. Here is 5D black cf vinyl day and night. Next mod is also weather hindered...

#79 · (Edited)
Thanks

You know, I usually think that stuff is kind of tacky. But in this case, it actually looks really good. Well done.
It depends on the quality of the vinyl too. The vinyl I had on my car day 2 of ownership for the bow ties was rather cheap.

I actually redid the wheel and shifter bezel. Radio is still jacked at 2 extreme curves so ill try that again another day. Got two more mods done after I redid that. Going to post this and try to get the pics to load. PB app is broken as usual.

#80 · (Edited)
Blue Ray Z Spec grille because Black Granite held it's price for far too long.

They know me so much they included "Man Law" instructions on how to take apart a car to this extent. last time I looked at a set of GM instructions it had me going out and buying the wrong size tools for the job, *Cough* LTZ HANDLES!*Cough*

The way I am, I completely took the bumper off and didn't tale pictures of it at all until I was done. Didn't think about it too much until I was 98% done with the job. Plate came off in hopes the rivets were screws in that bracket. On the eco trim, the plate is completely in the way of the grille removal and installation. Removing the plate made it less rigid and allowed it to flex just enough. Enough swear words and prying, I got it working. No "Darn it tools" were hurt or lost during this process. There may or may not have been extra screws left over. "Meh"

Here you can slightly see the Black Granite bumper and Blue Ray upper grille.

And then we have CF on the trunk bar.

I have 1 more new mod left, I'm on my way outside to try and complete it now. The radio piece may be redone tomorrow depending on how my sleep is.

#81 ·
One more pic to show the weave when the street lights hit it at night.

Here is a pic to show what I mean by the eco bracket is in the way.

As I was peeling the MAD vinyl off I was wondering if anyone did this?

Here's the finished product, reverse cutouts finally.

I'm half tempted to make a CF section down below... Got more than enough left over. I'll see how weather is and when I redo the radio.

#82 · (Edited)
Wheel and Tires package.

You may haven't noticed I been updating my mods list quietly all this time. I haven't been able to post pics of it and it wasn't on the to do list. 1 was just "self pleasure" and the other was "In dire need".

Going to start off with I redid all 3 pieces cause I sucked at shaping w/o bubbles and wrinkles the 1st time.

Then I went and undid the wheel by getting another wheel. Excuse the mess, I washed the car 4 times and cleaned the inside may be 2 times this week and it still looks a mess.

When I did the Z Spec grille I noticed one of my tires was really bad off so my search for a decent tire began. You be the judge if I could have survived the winter months in this condition.....

After a bit of asking around and looking at reviews I went with these.

My 1st impression in person is these tires would piss off vegans cause they are just meaty. Almost as if there were subtle hints of bacon, ham, turkey and beef masked with the smell of new rubber. One review said "These look like truck tires, I wish I knew this before buying!" and I kinda was like ehh, whatever. Once they were on the car I see what they meant, its an acquired look and I kinda like it.

The ride quality so far is super stiff and the appearance looks like they would be mud tire noisy but they aren't. Whisper quiet and no vibrations in the steering wheel

#87 ·
You may haven't noticed I been updating my mods list quietly all this time. I haven't been able to post pics of it and it wasn't on the to do list. 1 was just "self pleasure" and the other was "In dire need".
I've noticed! And tbh, I like the tires! They are pretty cool looking!

#83 ·
I felt like the tires looked ashy in their new form and car was a little dirty. Instead of just going back in and redoing the pics I'll just add a few more in a new post. Now I need wax, maybe tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.