Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Add Bluetooth through Factory Radio

24K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  probin07 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has successfully added Bluetooth to their Cruze so that it would function just like stock? Looking through the gmpartsdirect.com site it looks like if you go to the 2011 Model they offer an OnStar Module w/ Bluetooth as well as one w/o Bluetooth. My Cruze is a 2012, but I'm wondering if you could swap those and then have the dealer enable the feature by calling Techline?

#14 ·
There is an aftermarket option called Bluestar I think. It replaces the onstar module. I don't know if your idea would work or not.

I'm actually wondering about REPLACING my existing OnStar Module with the Module that has Bluetooth built in. If you look at the gmpartsdirect.com catalog and put in a 2011 Chevy Cruze (I have a 2012) they list three different OnStar Modules. Two that HAVE Bluetooth and One that doesn't. I'm wondering if you can swap one of the Onstar modules in and have Onstar AND Bluetooth on a car that previously only came with Onstar.

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-electronics/5833-diy-pdim-test.html. You won't be able to scan your music list like you can in the Sonic, but the steering wheel controls work. Total cost is about $86 plus shipping for the PDIM and 45 minutes or so to actually replace the existing PDIM. Once you have it connected, test everything before closing up your console.

As for sound quality, it sounds so much better than the 3.5 mm Aux that I thought I had installed a whole new sound system. This PDIM actually adds a second Bluetooth radio so your hands free Bluetooth calling isn't affected.

#8 ·
Do the AUX test (follow the links in my sig to Bluetooth AUX). If you have the firmware version DB/DD or later, I would open up the console and see if there is a PDIM. If so, you can probably swap the PDIM for the AC Delco Bluetooth PDIM one from Amazon and have it work. Do you have the steering wheel radio controls? If not, you will need to have your dealer flash your radio with the upgrade and purchase the PDIM & cables.

The Camaro uses the same PDIMs as the Cruze, so you should be able to get the steering wheel controls, PDIM, and AUX/3.5mm ports as a kit from your dealership. I have also found this kit at 2010-2012 Camaro Stereo System - Personal Audio Link (PDIM - IPOD / MP3.

#11 ·
My Cruze does not have On-star.
I'm jealous. OnStar has called me numerous times and sent me what I consider "extortion" letters that I won't be protected unless I renew my subscription.

As for the radio needing OnStar, I think it's only needed if you want hands free cell phone usage via the car's microphones and speakers. The microphones (there appear to be two) are in the black XM Radio antenna container mounted above the rear-view mirror and in the overhead light control cover. There are small slots in both on the driver's side of the car. I don't know if only one or if both of these are microphone slots.

#10 ·
There are two base radio options on GMPartsDirect, one with and one without the digital (PDIM) interface. The PDIM plugs into the radio with a odd looking cable which is why I suggest you open your console to see if you have the PDIM behind the coin holder above the shifter.

#13 ·
Hands free cell phone usage and Bluetooth stereo (A2DP) are handled differently by most phones as well. It's possible to have either one without the other.

#16 ·
I'm in the same boat too.. I have OnStar, but no connectivity (just a bare steering wheel...) would love to integrate factory bluetooth..

So, if I get the factory steering wheel with bluetooth controls, and the PDIM, it potentially may work?

#17 ·
You may need to have your radio software/firmware updated as well. This is a dealership only function. You need to be at least on DB/DD firmware.

#19 ·
are you telling us that it is possible to disconnect onstar and we still have bluetooth capabilities ?
if so I am going to test this I have 2011 with comfort and conveinance package

#20 ·
Yes. The onstar module is under the passenger side dash, behind the glovebox. If you drop the plastic panel under the dash (have to remove 2 screws) you will be able to look up and see the module. It has a brass connector on it along with a bundle of wires going in. The brass connector is for the onstar antenna. Pop that off and you render onstar useless because it can't communicate anymore. Bluetooth will still work. The only side effects are the onstar indicator on the rear view mirror will be red, and you will lose your compass in the DIC (it will read "CAL").

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#21 ·
thank you I will try this not happy bbeing tied to Onstar

#23 ·
Subic, any update? My wifes car is the same as yours (fleet), no steering wheel controls and no onstar. I would like to add factory bluetooth for just making and taking calls. not looking for streaming music.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.