Running extremely rough - Codes: P0301, P0601, P0106, P0171,P1101, P0131
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JerTM
  • 1 Post By stei3403
  • 1 Post By TheGoonie11

Thread: Running extremely rough - Codes: P0301, P0601, P0106, P0171,P1101, P0131

stei3403 is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Running extremely rough - Codes: P0301, P0601, P0106, P0171,P1101, P0131

Hello, New to the forum.

I have a 2012 Cruze eco 1.4L Turbo that just started running extremely rough all of a sudden and threw a bunch of codes. Vehicle idles and runs very rough, stalls, misfires, sputters, etc.

Codes:
    P0301 - Cyl 1 misfire
    P0601 - PCM read only memory (ROM) - checksum failure
    C3103
    C1BAA
    B2AAA
    P0106 - MAP System performance
    P015B
    P0171 - Fuel trim lean bank 1
    P1101 - MAF related?
    P0131 - O2 circuit low voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1

When the check engine light first came on it was accompanied by a Traction control/Stabilitrac warning. It got progressively worse over the course of a couple hundred miles until it would barely run.

Car is at the dealer now and all they did is clear the codes and they want to replace the O2 sensor...

I think the most likely culprit is a faulty PCM?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stei3403 View Post
    Hello, New to the forum.

I have a 2012 Cruze eco 1.4L Turbo that just started running extremely rough all of a sudden and threw a bunch of codes. Vehicle idles and runs very rough, stalls, misfires, sputters, etc.

Codes:
    P0301 - Cyl 1 misfire
    P0601 - PCM read only memory (ROM) - checksum failure
    C3103
    C1BAA
    B2AAA
    P0106 - MAP System performance
    P015B
    P0171 - Fuel trim lean bank 1
    P1101 - MAF related?
    P0131 - O2 circuit low voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1

When the check engine light first came on it was accompanied by a Traction control/Stabilitrac warning. It got progressively worse over the course of a couple hundred miles until it would barely run.

Car is at the dealer now and all they did is clear the codes and they want to replace the O2 sensor...

I think the most likely culprit is a faulty PCM?
    Throwing that many codes **** it could be anything but the PCM could possibly be a culprit but I don't think for everything on that list, I don't really see how an 02 sensor would fix all of those issues tho have you had any other issues with the car? Have you had the negative ground cable tested for the recall that's out?
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Performance:
    Bassani long-tube headers
    Bassani cat-back exhaust
    Airaid cold air Intake

2013 Lexus IS350 AWD F Sport

Performance:
    AfE Stage 2 Intake
    Lexus F Sport exhaust

Suspension:
    BC Coilovers

Retired Moderator

The Traction Control light and multiple codes makes me wonder if this might have something to do with the negative battery cable recall:

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-se...ery-cable.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

A p0601 is basically telling you that the Fuel pump control module has an internal fault. SI directs you to reprogram the module, if P0601 sets again, replace it.
    It is possible that most if not all of your woes are caused by this failure.
    Blue Angel likes this.

stei3403 is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Just got word from the dealer that they found a leak in the cam shaft seal. I guess this is causing a vacuum leak which would explain many of the codes. They also said that they are not seeing the P0601 which I find quite odd.

And of course they are still trying to sell me on the O2 sensor...

stei3403 is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
    The Traction Control light and multiple codes makes me wonder if this might have something to do with the negative battery cable recall:

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-se...ery-cable.html

Good call on the battery cable recall. I saw that the other day but didn't think anything about it. I will mention it next time I talk to the guy.

Also, I have never had any issues with the vehicle. Bought it CPO with 20,000 miles and have been driving it for about a year. Car now has over 70,000 on it and never had to do anything but oil, filters, etc.
    Blue Angel likes this.

Driver's Ed
    I started to have this issue with my 2012 LT RS Cruze. I got the following codes: P0171, P0106 and P1101. I did get the P0301 misfire but it was due to the 3 codes listed before. We did some research and found the following COULD be wrong with the car: Valve cover, O2 sensor, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, ignition coil or PCV hose. I was having the same issues... check engine light was coming on, then the traction control/stabilitrac warning. The car would idle extremely rough, pulsing between 500-700 RPMs. When I would turn the car off, my fan would kick in and run for a bit as well.

Here is what we replaced (and did not fix the issue):
    Valve cover and gasket
    Ignition coil
    MAF sensor
    spark plugs
    Seafoam cleaner
    Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner

After more looking (my brother did a lot of research and testing with my car) and discovered 1 part we overlooked. The PCV valve tubing (GM part# 25193343). The tubing was so brittle and hard that it has broken down near the connector, under the exit turbo enlet. We replaced the part with a heat hose and it fixed the issue! We put the old ignition coil on to test, and it was still good. We also tested the old MAF sensor and it worked as well. We did keep the new spark plugs, as those needed to be replaced anyway. And we still think it needed the dreaded valve cover replaced as well. All in all, instead of spending $800 at the dealership to get it fixed, we spent around $140 (not including the beer I paid my brother for the work).

here are some pics of the hose (old and new):
    Factory PCV hose on the car
    pcv hose 4.png

the hose was broken near the connector
    pcv hose 1.jpg
    pcv hose 2.jpg

New hose we put on the car
    pcv hose 3.jpg
    obermd likes this.

Administrator

P0171 almost always points to the PCV valve/camshaft cover.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Driver's Ed
    Thanks Goonie11. Same issue, broken tube with heater hose repair.
    Of course did not find it before I put the new valve cover on, new spark plugs (needed um anyway), new battery (5 years old and was going to replace it anyway).

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)