Valve cover oil leak on 1.8 liter LUW
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valve cover oil leak on 1.8 liter LUW

plano-doug is online now [OP]
    Handbrake Released

Valve cover oil leak on 1.8 liter LUW

I was looking under the hood of my daughter's 2012 Cruze 2LS (~60k miles, 1.8 liter LUW) and noticed oil leaking. It appears to be coming from around the valve cover.

Reading the forum, I've learned the 1.4 turbo is known for leaking there, with the PCV being the underlying cause.

Is the 1.8 liter LUW known for valve cover leaks as well? Or is this unusual?

Looking at the pics, in the driver's end view (2nd pic) I can see the oil dripping down.

But in the front view (1st pic), it appears to be spreading upwards. I attribute that to the airflow from the fan? Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be any residue from it dripping down there.

Removing the panel from atop the valve cover (3rd pic), I see small amounts of oil there as well.

I checked the bolts near the front-left corner, and all appear to be quite snug, so that's not the problem.

Diagnosis: Is a new valve cover gasket all that's required here? Or something else as well?

Repair: Any gotchas to be aware of in removing and replacing it? Is there an upgraded gasket to ask for?

Thanks.

Doug

front1-3.jpg

end1-2.jpg

top1-3.jpg

Last edited by plano-doug; 02-21-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    -- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS
    -- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)