Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Catch Can install (pic heavy)

12K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  drspencer 
#1 · (Edited)
a few weeks ago i helped a neighbor with her cruze. the wastegate actuator was full of oil, the throttle body was full of oil, the charge pipes were full of oil and the intercooler also had oil. reading this forum it seems like several others have this problem also.

racer X has this Sonic Catch Can | Racer X Fabrication

i am frugal (eg: CHEAP) so i order this off of ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...714567&hash=item546c29f406:g:p0QAAOSwWVFcveom

if you remove the intake boot (from the air filter) and look down in you will see an oil stain coming from the PCV hose and leading into the turbo impeller. oil is obviously making it past the valve cover baffle.

Auto part Gauge Metal

thanks XtremeRevolution for the photo

i replaced the PCV hose to incorporate a catch can, this is the corrugated hose i am referencing
Auto part Engine Vehicle Wire Car

thanks TheGoonie11 for the photo

first thing to do is remove the PCV hose from the turbo and intake.

Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor

to remove the PCV hose from the turbo and squeeze the ribbed areas on the connector and pull.

Vehicle Engine Auto part Car

thanks XtremeRevolutionfor the photo

pull the wire spring clip until it clicks to stay open. carefully twist and pull up to remove.

carefully open the retaining clips along the passenger side of the valve/cam cover, you may have to cut tape to free the PCV hose. removing the small daughter hose is not needed as it will stay in place.

when you have the PCV hose off the vehicle you will need to cut the connectors free from the PCV hose

Font Auto part
Font Auto part

Auto part
Auto part Automotive engine part

thanks TheGoonie11 for the photo

next push 5/8 hose over the PCV connectors. this will require some effort.

next find a place to mount the catch can. i chose the passenger side strut tower. on my car there was 3 holes drilled into the strut tower. i used a UNI-bit to open the holes up to accept the bolts needed to fasten the catch can to the strut tower. make sure you have enough room under the catch can to open the valve. i put a piece of rubber between the catch can and the strut tower
Tool accessory Drill accessories Screw extractor

Auto part Fuel line Vehicle Engine Automotive fuel system

the fittings that came with the catch can were smaller than 5/8. i decided to use adapter to go from 9/16 to 5/8
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Fuel line

i put the adapters on the catch can side because the PCV connectors are plastic and i do not want to stress them.

View attachment 271169 Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Carburetor
Auto part Fuel line Engine Carburetor Vehicle
Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Car

Auto part Floor Metal

1 week of catch can - drained into soda can

View attachment 271181
i put the fluid into a jar to observe

Food Drink Cuisine Glass Dish

after 4 hours of sitting

View attachment 271183
close up after 4 hours

See less See more
#3 ·
there are no codes on my car. i installed this on my car
this sludge is what my car was ingesting in a week.
have you looked down into your turbo to see what kind of stain you have?
if you have a stain then this sludge is coating your charge pipes and intercooler too.

#6 ·
I have cleaned it a few times. Never had any crazy build up though. Im at 125k miles with oil changes done myself with mobile 1 at 50%-55% oil life left which is usually 4k-5k miles. Ive never had to add oil between changes either.

#8 ·
UPDATE:
the top of this sludge is NOT oil although it is oily, it smells like gasoline. i need to get a pipette or something to get to the bottom layer. when i moved the jar to another location it sloshed and it became the brown/gray emulsion again.
i will be changing my oil myself on 5/25 and i may send it for analysis. then when it needs an oil change again do the same to see the differences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.