Cruze Manual Transmission (M32) Issues
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Cruze Manual Transmission (M32) Issues

Administrator

Cruze Manual Transmission (M32) Issues

I wanted to create a thread that described the known issues with this transmission and their resolution. This contains the collective knowledge and experience of the CruzeTalk forum for the past couple of years, knowledge acquired from our brothers and sisters over on the Sonic Owners' Forum, and knowledge taken from overseas where the M32 is used in many Vauxhall and Holden vehicles.

Notchy Shifting
    This will develop as early as 5k miles and will worsen as it goes by. If you are reading this thinking to yourself "but my transmission is fine," then you don't know what this transmission should feel like. I thought mine was fine until the problem was explained to me. If you have to force your shifter into gear as you accelerate with even a moderate amount of power, you have a problem. I'm talking up-shifting, not down-shifting. I can shift my Cruze up with a pinky. The cause of this is degraded transmission fluid.

1-2 Shift Grind
    This is the result of the design of the synchros, a high 1-2 gear ratio change, and the stupid thin OE fluid shearing down too easily. The gear is fine, and the issue is mostly harmless, but it is rather annoying. Since it is synchro related, you will notice it more on the Cruze Eco than on other models, as the Eco has a higher 1-2 shift ratio change. There is no known mechanical fix. However, keep reading.

Heat
    We have learned from our cousins with Holdens and Vauxhalls overseas that this transmission reaches dangerous operating temperatures with only 20 minutes of in-town driving. It is a very compact transmission and the heat has nowhere to go. A high engine operating temperature contributes to this problem.

5-6 Shaft Lubrication
    Filled to the GM recommended level, the transmission starves the 5-6 gear shaft of proper lubrication. This was discovered on the Vauxhall forums when they were losing shaft bearings left and right. The solution was to overfill the transmission by half a quart, for a total of 2.5 quarts.

Fluid, the solution...sort of.

From the factory, the transmission uses a rather thin fluid, chosen for fuel economy purposes. However, it does not lubricate well (see 1-2 shift grind & notchy shifting), and it does not hold well up to heat. The solution to the notchy shifting is new fluid. Our members have used Royal Purple and Redline's offerings, and none of them perform as well as Amsoil Synchromesh. In fact, Royal Purple was the worst fluid we have tried, and the fluid ended up coming out dark and burnt.

This will sound like a sales pitch, but know that this has been tried, tested, and verified by the Gearheads on CruzeTalk. Amsoil Synchromesh completely eliminates the notchy shifting. It has a very high quality formulation of fully synthetic base stocks, and a very good friction modified package that greatly improves the function of our synchros. While it may not completely eliminate the 1-2 shift grind, it does help, A LOT. The 75W-90 GL-4 fluid has been reported to completely cure the 1-2 shift grind for many people. On my Cruze ECO, I have not yet been able to make it grind. Those who can note that even under hard driving, it happens rather rarely, in the range of 2 times a month as opposed to several times a week. Filling to 2.5 quarts total also helps with the heat issue, and provides better lubrication of the 5-6 gear shaft. EDIT: GM has officially updated the transmission fill specification to 2.32 quarts as of at least 05/2016!

Here is the fluid recommended as an OE replacement: AMSOIL Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30

For tuned vehicles and vehicles driven more spiritedly, I recommend the 75W-90 transmission fluid and transaxle gear lube: AMSOIL Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90

Disclaimer: These products aren't officially recommended by AMSOIL's technical team due to variations in specification (and the constantly changing OE specification). Use at your own discretion, as I cannot be held liable for any side effects or problems. This product is offered as an option based on the success others have had with it.

More information on Gen1 Cruze Clutch and Shifting upgrades: https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-g...-upgrades.html
    Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 07-31-2018 at 08:03 PM.
    Order PCV Fix Kits, Leak Test Kits, & Big 3 Kits at: Hidden Content
    Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze zerogravity's Avatar
    Order placed.
    Going with 3 quarts for a 2 1/2 qt fill. I only have 2500 miles on it. And want the good stuff in it to help prevent issues down the road. Did an oil change today to get the break in oil and shavings out. Went with Pennzoil Platinum (on sale at local Advanced auto for 24 bucks with filter). I plan on changing it out in another 2500 miles to ensure all the break in oil and shavings are out. From there I will either go with Pennzoil Ultra or Amsoil.
    Do i need to change this oil out in ONLY 2500 miles? Who cares.... its my money and my engine. Going on a road trip to VA soon, with 9 hours each way, all highway miles with light city driving while Im there. Shoild be good enough to flush out the engine before I drop money on a more expensive oil.

2nd Gear
    After that first change, you should be good. 7500 miles or 10% on the DIC

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze zerogravity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newsguy99 View Post
    After that first change, you should be good. 7500 miles or 10% on the DIC

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Yeah I know I could go more, but I want Pennzoil Ultra or Amsoil in there. The only Penn Ultra they had at3the time was euro 10w 40. "Back in the day" I was a diehard Mobile 1 fan...... times change, as well as the formula. When I had my 99 Trans AM I would change the synthetic oil no less than every 3000 to 3500k miles. She was ran a little hard. But fun to drive.

Administrator

How does the current Mobile 1 do? My dealership also has Mobile 1 oil they will use instead of the AC Delco oil.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    How does the current Mobile 1 do? My dealership also has Mobile 1 oil they will use instead of the AC Delco oil.
    Not very good. It's not a true synthetic anymore. Just a group 3 hydrocracked oil. Amsoil and Pennzoil are one of the only ones left that make a true PAO/Ester synthetic oil. I have a thread in the 1.4T section on it.

Sent from mobile.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Lyrical Wordsmith
    Too bad I no longer own a Cruze. I would be buying this even though I did not have the MT.

Andrei... How effective is it for the automatic ? Maybe it's a stupid question...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by iKermit View Post
    Too bad I no longer own a Cruze. I would be buying this even though I did not have the MT.

Andrei... How effective is it for the automatic ? Maybe it's a stupid question...
    This fluid isn't effective in an automatic, but Amsoil's auto transmission fluid is GREAT.

Sent from mobile.
    Merc6 and Metro666 like this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I'm glad I came across this post. My manual 6 speed in my ECO started grinding 3rd gear at about 60k miles. It usually only did it under acceleration. I now have 84K miles on it and have finally taken it in. The next day the dealer called me and told me that they were ordering a new transmission for it. Thankfully its covered under their 100k mile drive-train warranty. I'm thinking of putting 5k miles on the new tranny to work out all the break in trash then switch over to Amsoil. Has anyone had to get a new transmission because of grinding gear issues?

I would do it almost immediately - 500 to 1K miles max.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)