LED headlight or better halogens - Page 12
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: LED headlight or better halogens

These are a worthwhile purchase. https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/11-ge...ght-bulbs.html You can find them under verious names they are typlicly called 7G or 7 gen. The same manufacturer is making them. My set has been going strong for 3 years and they have a acceptable pattern. you can supposedly remove the low beam shield for better output the h13 housing doesn't need the shield the "cutoff" is built into the housing.

I found them here for $24 https://www.ebay.com/itm/H13-160W-16...NXPTUQ&vxp=mtr
    The seller is a bit optimistic on the light output but the bulb in the picture is the same bulb. If nothing else that gives you a picture to go off.
    Last edited by Etec225; 11-03-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    Instagram - Hidden Content

2011 cruze eco 1.4T MT
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    No.

The Z ES bulbs are brighter. More than double!

This is because the light is much more focused like halogen. You simply cannot achieve a good beam pattern using emitters that contain a domed lens (like all Cree LEDs). The light emitting surface area must mimic that of a tungsten filament which is why CSP LEDs like the Luxeon Z ES and the Seoul Semiconductor Z8Y19 work so well. They are tiny, compact and most importantly have a superior beam angle. Because these chips are FLAT they can provide a better beam inside a reflector housing.

And while these older versions of the Z ES were the better bulbs on the market for the time, they do have flaws. Glare and streaky light under the beam, primarily on the foreground.

Glare is 2-3x more than halogen.

The exposure is at my cameras lowest setting so it may not appear to have light above the cutoff but it's there. Level of added glare is also validated by my lux meter.
    We should put together a thread on the different LED's that have been tested. It would save time explaining all this all the time.
    Big M likes this.
    Instagram - Hidden Content

2011 cruze eco 1.4T MT

Quote Originally Posted by InsideMan View Post
    So EVO77, what would you say is worth buying if we wanted to go with LED's?
    Ive been following but haven't been able to filter out what your favorite or worthwhile ones to purchase are. Luxeon Z ES?
    Honestly I don't really have a favorite. Currently in my vehicle now I have the Seoul Semiconductor CSP version. You will find my review further back in this thread. And while it has the best beam pattern that i have tested to date, it also is the least brightest (when compared to other LEDs). This is because the heatsink is not able to keep the chips thermally stable so the driver lowers the current feed to keep them from burning up. They are only slightly brighter than halogen.

For some people, they want a more dramatic difference in light output so this may not appease.

If you want a beautiful 6000k white light (I prefer this color rendering over the current market Z ES chips) , great beam pattern and are ok with only a marginal gain in illumination, then it's worth the money.

I can no longer recommend the Z ES bulbs in my previous post due to the glare they produce. Just because the beam pattern is "ok" does not mean this bulb is good enough to settle with in my opinion.

I no longer am testing other bulbs since I'm currently in the process of retrofitting bi-led projectors.

But I do still watch for new H13 bulbs that hit the market to see which ones look like potential winners based on chip layout design. There are a few interesting models out there but of course without physical testing I'm just speculating based on looks.

I will say this, Diode Dynamics just announced at SEMA 2017 that their SL (Street Legal) LED headlight bulbs are finally ready to be shipped. The dual filament version dubbed SL2 is coming soon and they have a H13 application. When I spoke to Paul McCain @DD he stated that they have physically tested their bulbs in multiple different headlamps for optical accuracy. When I volunteered an extra Cruze headlamp he said they already had one. So I would hold off on any purchases until these bulbs come out.
    sparkman likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    Copy that. Thanks for all the effort and input you've done for us over here. Good stuff.
    Big M likes this.

Driver's Ed
    Do you think those will be good in my oem housing?
    https://www.amazon.ca/LumiLEDS-Z-ES-...words=Z+ES+h13

Handbrake Released
    One of my JDM Gen 7 bulbs just took a crap, or at least the diodes are emitting such weak light that they appear to not be working at all. Before I drop $100 on another pair (I might switch brands at this point, since the warranty expired), is there anything to test to make sure it's actually a broken light? I'll try swapping them around, but I don't think that will fix it.
    2014 Cruze Diesel
    -JDM Astar LEDs all around
    -Fleece Performance Delete
    -Fleece Performance Tuned
    2001 Silverado Diesel
    -5" full exhaust
    -Spectre CAI

*Sold*
    97 Sierra 1500
    03 Sierra 2500HD
    04 Silverado Duramax
    07 Silverado Duramax
    03 Sierra Denali

Quote Originally Posted by starspangled6.0 View Post
    One of my JDM Gen 7 bulbs just took a crap, or at least the diodes are emitting such weak light that they appear to not be working at all. Before I drop $100 on another pair (I might switch brands at this point, since the warranty expired), is there anything to test to make sure it's actually a broken light? I'll try swapping them around, but I don't think that will fix it.
    Hi there, sorry to hear that you're having this problem. If the bulb still works yet emits poor light, it souds like a load resistor failed. So you can swap the bulbs around, yet to determine whether that's a resistor or no, you may want to wire a new LED resistor into the chain. Here's an example of the resistor that you need, you can order one online or buy locally. Its price way lower, than a new LED conversion kit (our price is around $7.90 for a pair plus some shipping), and even if this does not help, at least there is a chance to fix the problem. At least that's what I would have done if I were you.
    Now, here's what I think of it. LEDs feature lower resistance, than halogens, hence they normally feature a built-in resistor to make them work. When a resistor fails, the LED bulb still keeps working, yet you get poor output. If a CAN-bus module fails, most probably you will not notice any differences in light output, but you'll get that 'bulb out' error. The same happens when the bulb fails. However, normally the lifespan of LEDs is around 50.000 hours, and the symptoms you describe do not look like the bulb problem.
    Hope this helps. Feel free to contact us directly if you need any help!
    starspangled6.0 likes this.

Handbrake Released
    Interesting! I wish I would have learned that sooner. I opted for some Opt7 bulbs (10th gen, I think)... bright as frig! 8400 lumens and 6000k brightness. But the build quality is sub par at best, so who knows how long they will last.
    2014 Cruze Diesel
    -JDM Astar LEDs all around
    -Fleece Performance Delete
    -Fleece Performance Tuned
    2001 Silverado Diesel
    -5" full exhaust
    -Spectre CAI

*Sold*
    97 Sierra 1500
    03 Sierra 2500HD
    04 Silverado Duramax
    07 Silverado Duramax
    03 Sierra Denali

11. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)