Upgrading the engine splash shield (Gen1 1.4L & 1.8)
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Upgrading the engine splash shield (Gen1 1.4L & 1.8)

Administrator

Upgrading the engine splash shield (Gen1 1.4L & 1.8)

Want better fuel economy, a cleaner engine bay, reduced road noise, and better highway stability? This thread is for you!

Back in 2011 and 2012, the Cruze and the Verano both used the same engine shield. It was a great design. Then, the NHTSA started investigating engine fires. Apparently, sloppy oil change techs would spill oil all over the engine bay, which would accumulate on the shield, splash on the exhaust, and catch fire. Bullshit recall ensued to address the PR nightmare.

The solution? Sawzall recall (hey, that rhymes)! I kid you not, the instructions literally told the dealer tech to take a reciprocating saw and cut up the engine shield. I declined the recall until I had to get some warranty work and they blackmailed me into getting the recall done in order to perform the work. I fought with them enough to get them to sell me the Verano shield (which was identical) for dealer cost ($80).

At some point, GM redesigned the engine shield for the Cruze so it had effectively the same size footprint.
    The reason I'm sharing this is so those of you who have money burning a hole in your wallet would have a productive way to spend it, and so those of you who live in cold climates with salt on the road would have a cleaner engine bay. The Verano/Pre-recall Cruze shield covers much more of the engine bay. This has the following benefits:

- Significantly reduced engine bay dust/dirt/salt
    - Significantly reduced road noise
    - Significantly improved aerodynamics and cross-wind stability
    - Slightly improved fuel economy

Here's the diagram of the original Verano/Pre-recall Cruze shield:

Here's a diagram of the redesigned post-recall Cruze shield:

Here's a brand new Verano shield next to the GM recalled (hacked up with a sawzall) shield:

For emphasis, here is the GM recalled shield on top of the brand new verano shield:

Lastly, here's what the Verano shield looks like installed:

I've also included pictures of the hacked up/recalled shield compared to a brand new Verano/Pre-recall Cruze shield so you can see what they look like as well. The 4th picture shows the hacked up shield on top of the new Verano/Pre-recall Cruze shield.

If you want to stick with OEM, the Part number is 23428362, available for $100 shipped on ThatGMPartsGuy.com, or you can get an aftermarket shield for less on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2gEXTR5

Please note, this only fits the 2011-2016.5 Cruze 1.4L and 1.8L. It does not fit the 2.0L Diesel.
    Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 05-11-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    obermd, BlueTopaz, .Cody and 3 others like this.
    Order PCV Fix Kits, Leak Test Kits, & Big 3 Kits at: Hidden Content
    Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

BOOOOST!
    Xtreme- If I recall the posts from back in the day, some of the bolts that hold the large original splash shield on use speed nuts that are part of the frame.

2011's and 2012's that were modified by the recall would still have these speed nuts in the frame, all the owner would need is the bolt. However for 2013 and up I believe the mounting may have changed.

I remember a similar thread that someone did where they needed to buy hardware and if I recall correctly it wasn't expensive, but it was dealer only stuff.

The original shield is on with a lot of connection points. I think there's close to 10 or 12 on my original 2012 sheild. I'm not sure you would have to use all of them.

Just letting anyone who tries this know, the holes probably are in your frame, but not sure of the nut portion of the connection is in all of the mounting locations.

Proud to say original 2012 owner, and my car has never been back to the dealer, outside the first week I had it for a strut support noise. So I have the original splash shield, painted with stencils with the words. "Do NOT CUT".
    2012 Cruze LT, 1.4L, AT 78,000 Miles as of 1/19
    Looking for EV for next car.. Bolt or maybe Model 3 if Chevy doesn't speed up their EV's to the marketplace!

Previous Rides
    2002 Intrigue 3.5L,LX5, AT 135,000- Owned for 10 years.. PM for Intrigue help. P1811 also a problem with this car.
    2000 Intrigue 3.5L, LX5, AT, 89,000- Owned for 12 years.. Dreaded P1811 killed this transmission.

1st Gear
    if my shield hasn't been cut, would it be any different than the $34 shield?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by eddiefromcali View Post
    if my shield hasn't been cut, would it be any different than the $34 shield?
    Depends on what year your Cruze is. The newer years had a redesigned shield that didn't need to be cut, but was the same size as the ones that were cut.
    eddiefromcali likes this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

1st Gear
    in my case, a 2014

BOOOOST!
    in my case, a 2014
    So your shield doesn't cover as much of the lower body as the $34.00 one. By 2014 the saw procedure was being done by the manufacturer of the shields before they were sent to Lordstown for vehicle assembly.

It does keep the bottom of the engine quite clean, especially in salty winter roads of the midwest. In Cali, is it worth it? That depends. Keeps undercarriage dry if you drive through a lot of water in the rainy seasons.
    2012 Cruze LT, 1.4L, AT 78,000 Miles as of 1/19
    Looking for EV for next car.. Bolt or maybe Model 3 if Chevy doesn't speed up their EV's to the marketplace!

Previous Rides
    2002 Intrigue 3.5L,LX5, AT 135,000- Owned for 10 years.. PM for Intrigue help. P1811 also a problem with this car.
    2000 Intrigue 3.5L, LX5, AT, 89,000- Owned for 12 years.. Dreaded P1811 killed this transmission.

Administrator

in my case, a 2014
    It has the cut shield.

Also, the original shield needed a couple more holes drilled in it. After you put the shield on the car sit the car on level ground and you'll see a couple of low points. Oil will collect at these points. Drill a hole in each low point and the oil will drain out instead of sitting in the engine bay near the exhaust manifold. From the pictures it appears the other problem with the original shield has been fixed - a lip around the entire rear of the shield that held leaked fluids on the shield.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by carbon02 View Post
    So your shield doesn't cover as much of the lower body as the $34.00 one. By 2014 the saw procedure was being done by the manufacturer of the shields before they were sent to Lordstown for vehicle assembly.

It does keep the bottom of the engine quite clean, especially in salty winter roads of the midwest. In Cali, is it worth it? That depends. Keeps undercarriage dry if you drive through a lot of water in the rainy seasons.
    There is reduced road noise, improved fuel economy, improved highway stability, and cleaner engine bay from using this. Even if you aren't getting salty winter roads, you are still getting dust and grime.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Off-Road Champion
    Excellent info.

I take it this does not apply to 1.8L or Diesel models?
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivergoer View Post
    Excellent info.

I take it this does not apply to 1.8L or Diesel models?
    I would tend to think it would not. I was just at the shop with my Diesel. They had it up on the hoist and I had a peak under it. The shield on mine seems rather large and covers quite a bit of the engine bay, similar to the large one pictured in this thread.
    Rivergoer likes this.
    BRUZER
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel | Crystal Red Tint Coat /w Cocoa Leather Interior | Safety and Convenience Package

Modifications
    20% Window Tint All Around
    OEM Fog Light Install
    Hidden Content /w Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Equipment
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)