Swapping out instrument cluster
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Swapping out instrument cluster

vilemouse is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Swapping out instrument cluster

Has anyone swapped out the smaller middle screened instrument cluster to the larger screen one? I don't know the model names because they are different in australia but the one i have in my 2012 CD doesn't show the digital spedo.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vilemouse View Post
    Has anyone swapped out the smaller middle screened instrument cluster to the larger screen one? I don't know the model names because they are different in australia but the one i have in my 2012 CD doesn't show the digital spedo.
    Nobody has successfully done this. Usually folks take the whole cluster in and pay lots and lots for the dealer to make it work as this isn't something you just plug n play software wise. Overseas my be different, have you tried just plugging it in?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

World Rally Champion
    Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by vilemouse View Post
    I have a 2012 CDX and it has the digital speedo in it. If you want a cheap digital speedo I have a TomTom GPS that has a digital speedo and also shows the speed limit where you are driving. There extra features like fixed speed and red light camera warnings and petrol and rest stops on the road you are travelling on. Also lifetime free map updates.
    Hidden Content
    2012 Holden Cruze CDX Diesel, Nitrate Silver,
    Tinted windows, SRI-V wheels. Built July 2012, MY13 model

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    I have a 2012 CDX and it has the digital speedo in it. If you want a cheap digital speedo I have a TomTom GPS that has a digital speedo and also shows the speed limit where you are driving. There extra features like fixed speed and red light camera warnings and petrol and rest stops on the road you are travelling on. Also lifetime free map updates.
    Just one X off :P and na i don't need a 2nd GPS got that from the aftermarket stuff iv installed

Quote Originally Posted by Merc6 View Post
    Nobody has successfully done this. Usually folks take the whole cluster in and pay lots and lots for the dealer to make it work as this isn't something you just plug n play software wise. Overseas my be different, have you tried just plugging it in?
    I wonder how much they would charge.. the dealership i go to is really good with its prices.. i might ask them.

World Rally Champion
    Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    Hidden Content
    2012 Holden Cruze CDX Diesel, Nitrate Silver,
    Tinted windows, SRI-V wheels. Built July 2012, MY13 model

Driver's Ed
    So the dealership i go to said that if i add it on to the work list of the normal $300 service it will only be $100 to program it all.. Not bad considering i have the part already that i got for free
    karmatourer likes this.

Sorry to relive a post from a year ago.
    I commented my experience, made in a cruze with Korean specifications (diesel engine VM motori 150 hp, LLW code).
    Buy a cluster of a 2011 Opel insignia diesel in Lithuanian for a handful of dollars (I remind you that I'm in Argentina, almost on the other side of the world), to experiment on it, and I managed to make it work on my cruze, I just had to change the vin number of the cluster that is stored in an eepron memory of 8 pins, is not a difficult job you just have to have patience.
    I leave you a photos of what I did.
    I still have to finish putting sensors on the windshield washer level and coolant level and of course the tpms that mine cruze did not come from the factory.
    Greetings.
    P.S. This text is translated by Google, so the translation may not be good.

IMG-20190227-WA0066.jpg20190227_213440.jpgIMG-20190227-WA0077.jpg20190227_220331.jpg20190302_095537.jpg20190302_095145.jpg20190302_095541.jpg20190302_095214.jpg
    Original cluster
    636895920.jpg
    Last edited by hernan l.; 03-03-2019 at 10:01 AM.
    Blasirl and plano-doug like this.
    Hidden Content

– “If you can see the tree you are going to crash against, it’s understeering. If you can hear it, then it’s oversteering…” – Walter Röhrl.

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by hernan l. View Post
    ...I just had to change the vin number of the cluster that is stored in an eepron memory of 8 pins, is not a difficult job you just have to have patience.
    20190227_220331.jpg
    Thanks for sharing that.

When you changed the VIN number, was there also a checksum in the EEPROM that had to be updated? In my experience, there are usually one or more checksums (similar to parity bits) in EEPROM (and flash) memories. Each checksum is associated with a block of memory. Whenever any value in that block changes, the checksum also gets changed to agree with the new data.

Doug

-- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    -- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS
    Hidden Content

Doug, I did not find any checksum, the truth was that I did not know that it existed, I just changed the vin number and plugged it into the car connector and went out walking even appeared several functions that were not present before.
    plano-doug likes this.
    Hidden Content

– “If you can see the tree you are going to crash against, it’s understeering. If you can hear it, then it’s oversteering…” – Walter Röhrl.

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hernan l. View Post
    Sorry to relive a post from a year ago.
    I commented my experience, made in a cruze with Korean specifications (diesel engine VM motori 150 hp, LLW code).
    Buy a cluster of a 2011 Opel insignia diesel in Lithuanian for a handful of dollars (I remind you that I'm in Argentina, almost on the other side of the world), to experiment on it, and I managed to make it work on my cruze, I just had to change the vin number of the cluster that is stored in an eepron memory of 8 pins, is not a difficult job you just have to have patience.
    I leave you a photos of what I did.
    I still have to finish putting sensors on the windshield washer level and coolant level and of course the tpms that mine cruze did not come from the factory.
    Greetings.
    P.S. This text is translated by Google, so the translation may not be good.
    Hernan,

This is a great start to a HowTo:, Do you think you could fix it up a bit following the instructions in this post?

How-To: Write a Tutorial

If so, I would start a new thread here.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)