Windshield
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jondaytona

Thread: Windshield

Driver's Ed

Windshield

Anyone else have problems with the Cruze windshield our 2015 is probably the worst windshield I have ever come across in any vehicle ever! Have no idea what kind of glass its made of but it looks like small chips all over about the size of a grain of sand probably several thousand, I have never seen this before on any vehicle glass. Anyone else have a similar problem with their 2015 or newer Cruze?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

My 2014 is still in perfect shape. I know you say "2015 or newer", but technically a 2015 is the same as anything prior (1st Gen Cruze).

Furthermore, it sounds like you're describing a "sandblasting" condition which occurs over time from road debris....

https://only1autoglass.com/Blog/entr...e-a-difference
    Blasirl likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel
    110k Miles
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Projector Headlights w/6000k HID A/C 55w bulb kit and relay harness
    LED Smoked Euro-style Tail Lights
    Black Billet Aluminum Grilles (top, middle and lower)

Off-Road Champion
    Just had my 2nd replacement windshield installed (‘14 Diesel Cruze). Rock chip developed into a foot long crack.

The pitting you describe is about right for a 4 yr old windshield. Years of small debris thrown up by vehicles ahead.

Auto Club (AAA) auto insurance has free windshield repair/replacement. I find it extremely worthwhile to find an insurance provider with this coverage.

Tip: when ordering a replacement windshield, make sure you get the visor tint (bluish tint along top 4” of the glass). My previous windshield didn’t have that tint and the sun/glare was pretty harsh.
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

My 2012 was pretty pitted by the time I traded it in @ 53k. A fair amount of Interstate driving on it.

The 2016's cracked about a year ago, but so far it actually looks pretty good for having been all over the US in the last year.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yup. Completely normal for a 2015. How many miles have you put on the vehicle?
    2015 Chevy Cruze CTD 120K (DEF Tank Replaced)
    2013 Chevy Sonic 1.4T Hatch
    2005 GMC Yukon XL SLT 2500 8.1L(496 Big Block)

Formula One Champion
    This is not a How-To:, but is a question.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by sailurman View Post
    Yup. Completely normal for a 2015. How many miles have you put on the vehicle?
    Oh, she's put 105,000 on it mostly freeway miles.

Seems you all are pretty much in agreement that this is normal, still even on older vehicles I've never seen it as bad as this, no common complaints at least it seems the 2015 has glass that isn't generating many complaints.

The salesperson at the dealer did try to pitch her I think it was $200 extra for a "protective coating" on the glass, I laughed out loud when she told me. She didn't go for it!
    Last edited by markmashley; 03-20-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Touring Champion
    Given that most of your 105,000 miles are done on the freeway, where this occurs, this all sounds about right.

My '07 Cobalt is pretty similar at around 120k miles - as are most vehicles of that mileage.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    Most of this is due to the changes in the glass thickness that OEM wanted for less weight to meet EPA requirements, went from 8mm to 6mm to 4mm per sheet of glass on each side of the vinyl, they want to hit 2mm by the end of this year...so yeah the newer windshields suck. My 96 Pontiac Sunfire has only like 3 chips in it, my 2017 Cruze like 300 if you drive towards the sun it's like little diamonds everywhere...

4th Gear
    Windshield durability against abrasion and pitting has precious little to do with glass thickness and more to do with hardness and chemical composition.

If anything it could be argued that two laminated windshields with different glass thicknesses, one with thinner glass would be less likely to pit/chip because it can more easily flex and transfer energy to the inner laminate layer than a thicker one.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)