What do you guys think?? Mesh grill?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What do you guys think?? Mesh grill?

Knapman is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze

What do you guys think?? Mesh grill?

So I wanna make my cruze a little bit different then I've seen around. I wanna open up the front grill and replace it with a black mesh. So I'm no computer guy and I suck at photo editing. I made these photos in paint just using other photos
    I found online
    by copy and pasting and resizing. Just to basically get a idea of what it is going to look like when I'm finished. It isn't lowered any specific amount in the picture I just dropped it to kinda get the feel of what it will look like. Also I'm not talent enough to make things transparent so in the last photo you can't see it but essentially you will see the intercooler behind the black mesh in the bottom grill. I added a photo with just the intercooler. I also plan to keep the chrome grill just make it one piece to fit and have it painted in black.

What do you guys think?

0.jpg 2.jpg3.jpgAttachment 270501

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    Consider buying a Holden fascia. If I remember correctly, it does not have the center bar.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Knapman is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasirl View Post
    Consider buying a Holden fascia. If I remember correctly, it does not have the center bar.
    I was looking at them but I don't quite like the front of them. I have a lot of spare time so I enjoy doing projects like this. I love learning new stuff and techniques and the satisfaction you get after you create/mod something yourself is amazing. There's no better feeling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Knapman View Post
    I was looking at them but I don't quite like the front of them. I have a lot of spare time so I enjoy doing projects like this. I love learning new stuff and techniques and the satisfaction you get after you create/mod something yourself is amazing. There's no better feeling!
    Well, when you figure it out, I want to use your discoveries to mod the rear fascia for a dual exhaust setup.
    CHEVYCRUZE RS likes this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

4th Gear
    Well, when you figure it out, I want to use your discoveries to mod the rear fascia for a dual exhaust setup.
    You and me both! Not sure of all the required modifications, but I wanna do this to my gen2.

Knapman is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzen18 View Post
    You and me both! Not sure of all the required modifications, but I wanna do this to my gen2.
    Okay fellas! When I start this project I'll make sure to take lots of pictures and document my steps as I go. I plan to pick up a kit like below from amazon.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Machine-Plasti...7VR2G4N1Y42966
    I was also going to use my Dremel and probably buy a fiberglass/bondo repair kit. I will use the Dremel to do the cutting and shaping of the plastic and use the plastic welder and plastic welding rods to piece everything together. When it comes to filling in the marker lights and anything else I decide to fill, I will use the fiberglass/bondo repair kit.

The top and bottom grill will be cut horizontal in my design where it goes across the top and bottom of the bar with the Chevrolet symbol. I was going to try and cut these and use these pieces with the Dremel to shape and plastic welder to fill in the vertical spots where the bar used to be, then make sure it's secure and one piece and sand it down make it a nice finish and have it painted. I feel like this will be very easy to do it's make sure you have the proper measurements and getting it all lined up properly.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, I would gladly love to hear them!
    Last edited by Knapman; 04-15-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Learning about my Cruze Celdwist's Avatar
    So I wanna make my cruze a little bit different then I've seen around. I wanna open up the front grill and replace it with a black mesh. So I'm no computer guy and I suck at photo editing. I made these photos in paint just using other photos
    I found online
    by copy and pasting and resizing. Just to basically get a idea of what it is going to look like when I'm finished. It isn't lowered any specific amount in the picture I just dropped it to kinda get the feel of what it will look like. Also I'm not talent enough to make things transparent so in the last photo you can't see it but essentially you will see the intercooler behind the black mesh in the bottom grill. I added a photo with just the intercooler. I also plan to keep the chrome grill just make it one piece to fit and have it painted in black.

What do you guys think?

0.jpg 2.jpg3.jpgAttachment 270501

I actually did something just like this with my Gen 2 Cruze! Just purchased some aluminum sheet metal off of eBay!
    DSC_1017.jpgDSC_1023.jpg
    Knapman likes this.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Celdwist View Post
    I actually did something just like this with my Gen 2 Cruze! Just purchased some aluminum sheet metal off of eBay!
    DSC_1017.jpgDSC_1023.jpg
    Been looking at a couple of options for mine. What'd you use to "black out" the chrome trim on the nose?

Formula One Champion
    Okay fellas! When I start this project I'll make sure to take lots of pictures and document my steps as I go. I plan to pick up a kit like below from amazon.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Machine-Plasti...7VR2G4N1Y42966
    I was also going to use my Dremel and probably buy a fiberglass/bondo repair kit. I will use the Dremel to do the cutting and shaping of the plastic and use the plastic welder and plastic welding rods to piece everything together. When it comes to filling in the marker lights and anything else I decide to fill, I will use the fiberglass/bondo repair kit.

The top and bottom grill will be cut horizontal in my design where it goes across the top and bottom of the bar with the Chevrolet symbol. I was going to try and cut these and use these pieces with the Dremel to shape and plastic welder to fill in the vertical spots where the bar used to be, then make sure it's secure and one piece and sand it down make it a nice finish and have it painted. I feel like this will be very easy to do it's make sure you have the proper measurements and getting it all lined up properly.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, I would gladly love to hear them!
    I have not used the plastic stapler that you linked to, but I have a Polyvance 5700HT Mini Weld Model 7 Airless Plastic Welder and a cheaper version from Harbor Freight, an 80 Watt Iron Plastic Welding Kit that is almost as good.

I have considered getting this as well: 1300 Watt Plastic Welding Kit with Air Motor and Temperature Adjustment

HF Coupons.jpg

Hidden Content

Knapman is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    I have not used the plastic stapler that you linked to, but I have a Polyvance 5700HT Mini Weld Model 7 Airless Plastic Welder and a cheaper version from Harbor Freight, an 80 Watt Iron Plastic Welding Kit that is almost as good.

I have considered getting this as well: 1300 Watt Plastic Welding Kit with Air Motor and Temperature Adjustment

HF Coupons.jpg
    I just realized I posted the wrong link, I was looking at a few different things. I was debating on going with the more expensive $200 kit but I figured this should get the job done. It's a 80w iron plastic welder.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Chicago-Electric-Welding-Systems-Plastic/dp/B00B1FKCGA/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2GTP5N2JEG3NA&keywords=plastic+wel der&qid=1555438227&s=gateway&sprefix=plastic+welde r%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-9

sdsadas.png
    these are the sticks I was going to buy with it
    https://www.amazon.ca/50PCS-Plastic-...GQ6B068N2X9Y63
    51ORBSZjO2L.jpg

Do you notice a huge difference in the larger model then the harbour fright one for smaller projects? Do you think the 80w will be powerful enough for the trim pieces around the grill? That's really all I will be using it for to make the complete and was thinking when I put the mesh in to add tabs on the back to hold the mesh. Besides that the bumper itself will probably just need to be filled in and cut in certain places.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)