Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

n00b needs halp!

Tags
halp n00b
1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Dragonsys 
#1 ·
I planned on black Plasti-dipping all the chrome on my cruze; Front grille, fog lights, side trim under windows, trunk bar, rear bumper trim and anything else i forgot. After i dip it, i plan to glossify it. I bought 4 cans of black dip and 3 cans of glossifier (i want to do the rims later as well).

My question is....what is the best way to use dip in this scenario. I have never used dip before and i know if you mess up you can just peel it off, but i'd prefer to get it right the first time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated i.e. how many coats of each, if it would be easier removing certain trims or leaving certain ones on, how to do the rims as well, yada yada.

#2 ·
I would say MINIMUM 3 coats. Especially if you think you may ever want to remove it. Plastidip is much easy to peel off when it's layered on a little thicker.

Make sure you clean the surfaces well. The plastidip doesn't really bond to the surface of the part persay, but you still don't want Crap trapped under there.

I would said just spend a good amount of time taping/sheeting everything off and then go to town. Plant on it being a full afternoon because you'll have to give some time for drying between coats. And, just like painting, multiple lighter coats is better than one big thick coat because that's how you get runs

This brilliant insight is brought to you via my Galaxy SIII

#5 ·
Go to dipyourcar.com there are a lot of how to videos where you can get tips and tricks. The most time consuming part is the prep and masking everything off. If you tape right to the edge of the chrome you want to remove that tape while your last coat is still wet. If you let it dry and then peel the tape you will remove the dip along with it. I would recommend two light coats and then two more heavier coats and then one or two coats of glossifier. I would also give 10 to 15 minutes in between coats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.