n00b needs halp!
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: n00b needs halp!

cdb09007 is offline [OP]

n00b needs halp!

I planned on black Plasti-dipping all the chrome on my cruze; Front grille, fog lights, side trim under windows, trunk bar, rear bumper trim and anything else i forgot. After i dip it, i plan to glossify it. I bought 4 cans of black dip and 3 cans of glossifier (i want to do the rims later as well).

My question is....what is the best way to use dip in this scenario. I have never used dip before and i know if you mess up you can just peel it off, but i'd prefer to get it right the first time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated i.e. how many coats of each, if it would be easier removing certain trims or leaving certain ones on, how to do the rims as well, yada yada.
    2013 6M LT RS
    Hidden Content

Connor

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released Roccityroller's Avatar
    I would say MINIMUM 3 coats. Especially if you think you may ever want to remove it. Plastidip is much easy to peel off when it's layered on a little thicker.

Make sure you clean the surfaces well. The plastidip doesn't really bond to the surface of the part persay, but you still don't want Crap trapped under there.

I would said just spend a good amount of time taping/sheeting everything off and then go to town. Plant on it being a full afternoon because you'll have to give some time for drying between coats. And, just like painting, multiple lighter coats is better than one big thick coat because that's how you get runs

This brilliant insight is brought to you via my Galaxy SIII

make sure your 1st coat is light, otherwise it might bubble
    Hidden Content
    2011 Taupe Grey Metallic ECO M6 (Hidden Content - Hidden Content )

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsys View Post
    make sure your 1st coat is light, otherwise it might bubble
    I have found the first coat light is the best thing to do as well. Then the next
    Couple ones are heavier and I spray pretty close to whatever I am spraying. I noticed when your at a decent distance away it starts looking like its balling up or there is stuff in there, but when sprayed thick its been okay for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Go to dipyourcar.com there are a lot of how to videos where you can get tips and tricks. The most time consuming part is the prep and masking everything off. If you tape right to the edge of the chrome you want to remove that tape while your last coat is still wet. If you let it dry and then peel the tape you will remove the dip along with it. I would recommend two light coats and then two more heavier coats and then one or two coats of glossifier. I would also give 10 to 15 minutes in between coats.
    Hidden Content
    2012 Chevy Cruze 1LT RS Crystal Red Tint Coat

Lyrical Wordsmith
    I did 4 coats of plastidip on mine, and it came out perfect. Make sure you leave enough space betweek the tape and the edges, so the plastidip can reall wrap around the edge!

Quote Originally Posted by iKermit View Post
    I did 4 coats of plastidip on mine, and it came out perfect. Make sure you leave enough space betweek the tape and the edges, so the plastidip can reall wrap around the edge!
    Yeah, i did 4 coats of color & 3 glossifier
    Hidden Content
    2011 Taupe Grey Metallic ECO M6 (Hidden Content - Hidden Content )

10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)