Recommend new tires please - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Recommend new tires please

Initial impression of the Nexen N5000 Plus is quite good, but admittedly the only tire I can compare it to on this vehicle is the Goodyear Assurance Authority that came used with the vehicle at about 50% tread. Quieter, with much smoother handling of road impacts is what I noticed right away. The Goodyear's were awful in wet handling and ice, with marginal snow traction. There's about 8" of thick, wet snow outside today, and these tires went through that with ease while there were stuck cars, and cars losing traction all over the place. Braking on chunky ice, and huge puddles of mixed water and ice was also very good.

Someone told me once never skimp on mattresses, shoes, or tires, and that's pretty sound logic...but it's very difficult to find any of those top three tires (Pirelli, Conti, Michelin) under $700 out the door. I paid $400 out the door. At the very least, I am absolutely certain the Nexen is a far better option than the Chinese tires retail tire stores sell for a similar (out the door) price if that's your budget.
    jblackburn likes this.
    11' Eco MT, Black

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    As you can see, a lot of tire purchasing comes down to personal opinion and budget. People always shy away from spending extra on tires, when in reality, it's the ONLY thing on your car that's in contact with the road. My personal preference has always been Michelin or another brand made by parent company Uniroyal-Goodrich (i.e. Uniroyal or BF Goodrich). When it became more of a budget issue, I looked for Cooper and/or Kelly-Springfield. I've never had any good experience with Goodyear tires ... EVER! In fact, my 2013 Volt came with Goodyear tires and I replaced them with Michelins within the first week of ownership. You have to do what's right for you at the time of purchase. I buy all my tires at Discount Tire, because they'll price match and I've never had a problem with their customer support/service. They also have a "Good/Batter/Best" rating system of the available tires for you, which is also most often (but not always) indicative of price. Look for the best tires that suit your needs and driving conditions while also meeting your budget. Best of luck!
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an un-armed person" Hidden Content
    2018 Chevy Volt ... quickly climbing past 100 mpg on the way to 250+
    2017 Camaro SS Convertible Indy 500 Official Festival Car (#84 of 101)
    2005 GMC Envoy XL Denali

2013 Chevy Volt... 58 mpg Lifetime (170k miles)
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6MT w/twins @ 678 ponies & 718 lb/ft to the wheels! Hidden Content

I'm a Michelin man myself however the factory lrr good years are quite good. For winters though I'm anything except x ice.
    2014 cruze diesel 2.0TD
    2009 Ford escape limited v6 4x4
    1971 Nova SS 406ci TH350w/shift kit

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spaycace View Post
    When it became more of a budget issue, I looked for Cooper and/or Kelly-Springfield. I've never had any good experience with Goodyear tires ...
    Wal-Mart, for whatever they are worth for tires, had a decent looking Kelly and Douglas tire, which is also a a Kelly from what I read...and Kelly is owned by Goodyear. Both were made in USA at least, which is interesting because many more premium Goodyear tires are not.

Kelly Edge A/S Performance 215/55R17SL 94V: Tires : Walmart.com
    Douglas Performance Tire 215/55R17 94V SL: Tires : Walmart.com

I got a good winter tire test this morning because the idiot manager at my second job decided to open the store in a legit blizzard, and had to call me to bail her out when half the college age kids driving jalopies were stuck in the parking lot, or stranded trying to make it in. After three hours of rides, it did really strike me how little some people care about basic vehicle maintenance, or lack the money to do so. One gal was setting out in a RWD Impala that had bald tires. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that for every enthusiast that has to have the best, spare no expense, there's probably ten people that don't care at all. I usually try to find some sort of middle ground...or I'm hopelessly cheap.
    spaycace likes this.
    11' Eco MT, Black

7. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)