Bigger brakes for the Cruze under $400. - Page 14
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Bigger brakes for the Cruze under $400.

Learning about my Cruze

Bigger brakes for the Cruze under $400.

I just did the swap as the OP mentions. I went with new calipers instead of just the brackets, but other than a little bit of work, they feel way better than the old ones, but new pads will do that anyways. I have a small family trip coming up. I’ll know then if they feel better. Otherwise good post OP.
    EDIT: I have the steel 16” wheels. No problems with clearance. Little snug, but nothing to worry about at all. Lots of room!
    Last edited by bsb2001ca; 05-13-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Autocorrect word change
    lonewolf04 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bsb2001ca View Post
    I just did the swap as the OP mentions. I went with new calipers instead of just the brackets, but other than a little bit of work, they feel grannies than the old ones, but new pads will do that anyways. I have a small family trip coming up. I’ll know then if they feel better. Otherwise good post OP.
    EDIT: I have the steel 16” wheels. No problems with clearance. Little snug, but nothing to worry about at all. Lots of room!
    grannies?
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Learning about my Cruze
    Omg, auto correct. Feels great! Not grannies
    Blasirl likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    On an LS or 1LT with rear drums, would this upgrade throw off the brake balance significantly? Getting close to needing front brakes on my 1LT again and would like some added stopping power as the stock setup is not confidence inspiring by any means.
    2012 Cruze 1LT RS Auto Topaz Blue
    ZZP intake, Forge BPV, BNR actuator, BNR tune, Ultra Racing strut bar, Konig Maxxim Winner 17x7, Bilstiens, 35%/25% tint, blacked out trim, sharkfin antenna

1987 Buick Regal Turbo T
    Fully restored, 274ci stroker, 71mm turbo, 10sec sleeper

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by TopazRS87 View Post
    On an LS or 1LT with rear drums, would this upgrade throw off the brake balance significantly? Getting close to needing front brakes on my 1LT again and would like some added stopping power as the stock setup is not confidence inspiring by any means.
    I did this with drum brakes on the rear. As long as your drum adjusters are properly lubed and brakes adjusted in the back, I think it compliments the brake setup.

2nd Gear
    just an FIY, ZZP has the bigger rotor and dual piston caliper setup for $450 shipped right now. Just a couple bucks more and you can have stronger/lighter calipers

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiefromcali View Post
    just an FIY, ZZP has the bigger rotor and dual piston caliper setup for $450 shipped right now. Just a couple bucks more and you can have stronger/lighter calipers
    "Stronger"?..... In what way? Are you claiming the caliper itself is stronger/stiffer? There's loads of 5th gen Corvette and Camaro guys that would vehemently disagree. Pad taper wear and caliper spreading is a pretty common occurrence.

Are you driving a Cruze hard enough to do this? 99% of us aren't, but that doesn't change the fact that the Encore/Trax caliper is stiffer. You also have the added benefit of being able to buy over the counter brake parts anywhere you need them and not have worry about modifying things.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma v e n View Post
    "Stronger"?..... In what way? Are you claiming the caliper itself is stronger/stiffer? There's loads of 5th gen Corvette and Camaro guys that would vehemently disagree. Pad taper wear and caliper spreading is a pretty common occurrence.

Are you driving a Cruze hard enough to do this? 99% of us aren't, but that doesn't change the fact that the Encore/Trax caliper is stiffer. You also have the added benefit of being able to buy over the counter brake parts anywhere you need them and not have worry about modifying things.

relax, chief...im talking dual piston vs single and it being aluminum making it lighter. Havent compared pad surface area of an F-body caliper vs a cruze, but Id assume theyre bigger? Not gonna claim that for certain though.

Learning about my Cruze Champagne Jam's Avatar
    I lived in Reno/Sparks Nevada since 1962.
    The ZZP kit is not complete. No shields for instance. What size bolts? Were did they source the calipers? Hmm...

Learning about my Cruze
    I think somewhere in the previous posts it had stated that someone needed rotors only or pads only and ZZP wouldn’t give out part numbers to buy over the counter pads and rotors and they wouldn’t separate them. And this option also allows anybody to just order something if the calipers fail while on a road trip, just stop and say they’re for the Buick

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)