Bigger brakes for the Cruze under $400. - Page 6
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Bigger brakes for the Cruze under $400.

Learning about my Cruze Champagne Jam's Avatar
    I lived in Reno/Sparks Nevada since 1962.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
    I did a little (very little) searching and by the images I saw for the calipers the ATS uses fixed calipers while the Cruze uses floating calipers. Can anyone confirm?
    Some research shows that the ATS mounting distance is 5.04". That should bolt up to the Cruze.

That is the easy part. Can you get bigger rotors that have the 5x105 pattern? Can you center the rotor in the caliper? Will your wheels fit over?
    CruzeTech likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Thinking about it some more... it might not matter as long as the 4-piston caliper is properly aligned over the rotor it will not need to float like a single piston that only squeezes from one side since the 4-piston squeezes from both sides...
    Both sides move on the floating caliper. While the caliper is fixed on the mounting side, the piston does the moving.
    That makes the floating caliper more forgiving when you are trying to center the disc.

With a fixed caliper you Must center the disc in the opening. With a little slop. With the Cobalt's Brembo's that meant shimming the caliper, the rotor and the wheel.
    YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Jam View Post
    Some research shows that the ATS mounting distance is 5.04". That should bolt up to the Cruze.

That is the easy part. Can you get bigger rotors that have the 5x105 pattern? Can you center the rotor in the caliper? Will your wheels fit over?
    Is that for the standard Cruze or the Cruze Diesel? If they will bolt on the rest is pretty easy. Precision machined spacers and bolt length variations will center the caliper over the rotor and even if you are stuck with the stock diameter rotor it will still be a huge improvement in braking performance going from the stock single piston caliper to the Brembo 4-piston and will likely save a bunch of weight too as the stock single piston calipers are likely cast iron rather than aluminum like the Brembos.

I would guess that ATS or ATS V rotors could be used if they are larger in diameter too. If I get a Cruze Diesel, I will for sure look into making an upgrade like this work!!!
    Chris Tobin
    Editor--Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine
    Contributor to Diesel World, Street Trucks and more

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    This puts it up to 11.8" = 1" bigger rotors right? Plus caliber space,
    would 16" fit over this given in another thread someone had said 15" steels wheels fit with there winter? Inch for an inch?

BOOOOST!

Bigger brakes for the Cruze under $400.

Which year calipers, though? Or do they all fit? Also, keep in mind, they probably need to be drilled. They may be 14mm. I think the Camaro used the same calipers. One of them, if I recall is 12 and one is 14. Can't remember which.
    Last edited by CruzeTech; 02-27-2016 at 02:00 PM.
    2017 Nightfall Gray Metallic Hatch/ RS Premier/ BNR Tuned (Current Daily Grinder)
    2014 Blue Ray Metallic Eco 6MT/ BNR Tuned (Retired)
    2013 Silver Ice Metallic Eco 6MT/ Trifecta Tuned by BNR (Retired)
    2012 Autumn Metallic Eco 6MT (Retired)

Is that for the standard Cruze or the Cruze Diesel?
    5x105 for all Cruze except the diesel which is 5x115.
    CruzeTech likes this.

5x105 for all Cruze except the diesel which is 5x115.
    I knew about the bolt pattern, I was talking about the caliper mounts on the spindle. The ATS and Cruze Diesel share the same bolt pattern maybe they can share rotors and calipers too!!! Wouldn't that be great for the diesel guys at least... Then the gasser guys can convert to diesel specs with the take-offs from the diesel guys and the circle will be complete!!! hahaha
    Chris Tobin
    Editor--Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine
    Contributor to Diesel World, Street Trucks and more

Driver's Ed
    Besides sourcing the parts, the only thing that needs to be done is to enlarge the holes on the spindle to 14mm correct? After that, this is essentially a bolt on kit?

BOOOOST!

Bigger brakes for the Cruze under $400.

I knew about the bolt pattern, I was talking about the caliper mounts on the spindle. The ATS and Cruze Diesel share the same bolt pattern maybe they can share rotors and calipers too!!! Wouldn't that be great for the diesel guys at least... Then the gasser guys can convert to diesel specs with the take-offs from the diesel guys and the circle will be complete!!! hahaha
    Not quite that easy. The diesel spindles may not fit the gasser. Because the diesel takes larger axles. The 2 would need to be compared before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Camsoup02 View Post
    Besides sourcing the parts, the only thing that needs to be done is to enlarge the holes on the spindle to 14mm correct? After that, this is essentially a bolt on kit?
    Correct. If you're talking about what the OP did to make everything fit. Source all parts and the major mechanical was drilling the holes out. If you're not comfortable doing it. Remove the spindles and take them to a machine shop. Or even buy a set of spindles from the junk yard have them machined and just swap them out during the process.
    2017 Nightfall Gray Metallic Hatch/ RS Premier/ BNR Tuned (Current Daily Grinder)
    2014 Blue Ray Metallic Eco 6MT/ BNR Tuned (Retired)
    2013 Silver Ice Metallic Eco 6MT/ Trifecta Tuned by BNR (Retired)
    2012 Autumn Metallic Eco 6MT (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by pandrad61 View Post
    for reference the ones i like are 2008 and up. have not driven originals and older ones
    I think Cobalt SS TC against 08+ cooper S is a matter of preference; stock to stock, the cobalt has more power obviously, and is overall a cheaper car to buy and maintain.
    The Cooper S however, has better steering IMO, and I would assume a weight advantage. I have driven both, but the cobalt SS drive was 5+ years ago and only short distance.
    In my opinion, the Cooper S 08+ has a better interior- at least upon looking. I never judged up close fitment and quality of materials.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now