Better tires/ smoother ride than Fr710s? - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Better tires/ smoother ride than Fr710s?

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by jstahliv View Post
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...ay.jsp?type=AS
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...ay.jsp?type=ST
    looking at this
    what class of tire should we be getting? grand touring? standard touring? pirelli p7's are grand , General AltiMAX RT43 are standard touring.
    Grand Touring are the nicer class of tire. If you don't mind paying a little bit more for a good tire, go for those.

I really like the P7 Plus. Those will be going on the Premier when the Michelins are done.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    Are these the tires you are talking about? 500 dollars no rebates. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...utoModClar=1LT

I want to get grand touring no mater what.

Can you tell me the pros of getting p7's over Altimax RT43's for 321 dollars? https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...utoModClar=1LT

DO you think they will outperform most others in the snow as well?
    Last edited by jstahliv; 08-29-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by jstahliv View Post
    Are these the tires you are talking about? 500 dollars no rebates. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...utoModClar=1LT

I want to get grand touring no mater what.

Can you tell me the pros of getting p7's over Altimax RT43's for 321 dollars? https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...utoModClar=1LT

DO you think they will outperform most others in the snow as well?
    Yep, those are the ones. There's another version of the P7 that's an OEM variant for some cars, and I can say that they were VERY LOUD on a Mercedes. The P7 Plus were surprisingly sure-footed on a Camry in a good 8" of snow, and @obermd liked his set a lot too on a Cruze, but I have no experience with the Altimax. They seem like a pretty good choice as well from the TireRack ratings.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    So I researched the crap out of Altimax rt 43 due to the price. only 320 for a set of 4 on amazon. Think the pirelli p7 plus would be better than them for 372 on amazon? Due to the results on tire rack review. I have to go with the altimax RT43's , as rain here is the most bad weather element. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romSurvey=true
    "Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus(Grand Touring All-Season, 225/50R17 94V)
    • What We Liked: Sets the bar for on-road comfort and refinement.
    • What We'd Improve: Needs a sizable improvement in wet traction.
    • Conclusion: The ideal touring tire, until it rains."

and the p7's stoping time is much higher. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=231

How are they in the rain. I think after seeing all the videos on tire rack, some on youtube, all the stats, and reading reviews on tire rack, , IT looks like the altimax 43 r the best for me. ty so much.

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetterin View Post
    General Altimax RT43's really smoothed out my ride.
    What psi do you run for the best ride? do you put it up to 44psi to get better fuel mileage? I have the fr710's at about 40 psi for fuel mileage even though its rougher.

Learning about my Cruze
    Crap , do I get the H, T , or V speed. Only different between H and V i noticed was this. H OR V says "Twin steel belts reinforced by two (**T HAS ONE) layers of spirally wrapped polyamide stabilize the tread area for good handling while a polyester cord body enhances ride quality.'" Plus tire rack rates t version as standard touring, and H or V as Grand touring. not sure if I should get H or V for the 6 dollar different , plus maybe stiffer ride in the V vs the H??

General Altimax RT43 Radial Tire - 215/60R16 95H

$89.73

General Altimax RT43 Radial Tire - 215/60R16 95V

$94.99

General AltiMAX RT43 Radial Tire - 215/60R16 95T

$79.00

which is best, I don't drive around corners at 100 mph and only slight corners at 75 mph on I76. I can do corners at 45-55 sometimes on tighter turns on these roads. Barely drive far, and mostly drive around town, and winding country roads (sometimes with quite a bit of speed at safe places) , with occasional 2.5 hour drives to Philadelphia.
    BASICALLY I DRIVE THE CRUZE LIKE A CADILLAC SOMETIMES AND A CAMARO OTHER TIMES. LOL
    I am thinking H rated??? What is on the car now, Firestone FR710s 95S
    From what you said here in an old post back in 2015, jblackburn

"
    Max speeds of the car are also limited to what speed-rated tires are on it.

Although I prefer V-rated myself, I generally stick to H-rated or above...for the reason alone that compared to the same brand/model of tire with nothing but the speed rating changed, they generally have firmer sidewall construction that does result in increased cornering ability without the car rolling over on the sidewall and collapsing into understeer quite as soon. Between a set of H-rated and V-rated Yokohama tires that were otherwise identical, I could definitely tell a difference.

That said, this is the first set of S/T-rated tires I've ever had (at least since I paid attention to such things), and this is a ridiculously comfortable car on bad roads. And I had a ridiculously floaty Camry and a Buick Century at one point."

so does having two instead of one layers of spirally wrapped polyamide stabilize the tread area benefit alot? And If i have been driving on S speed rating FR710s for 5 years , and had no problems do I really need anthing over the cheaper T's? Only thing is, H and V are Grand Touring, and T is Standard Touring at least on Tire rack. Do you recommend V for me?

Last edited by jstahliv; 09-02-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

I went for V because I corner like an idiot, often hitting the traction limit when I'm having fun. H rated will be a good balance of traction + ride quality as the sidewalls won't be quite as stiff.
    Blasirl likes this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Learning about my Cruze
    Well, H it is! thank you so much. I have learned so much! jblackburn, you truly are a blessing to this forum! So now it will be safer to enter corners a little faster over the FR710's with their s rating. After driving 5 years on them, I am excited to see how new tires will feel and hope its all good things.
    Last edited by jstahliv; 09-03-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Learning about my Cruze
    What psi do you recommend ? I had 40 psi in my fr710's for full mileage but for brand new tires i should do the recommended 35 right?

Learning about my Cruze
    The ALTIMAX RT43'S are amazing! The steering is so responsive, wasn't used to it. They seem better in every category than the FR710's. Going to ride them more today. Just got them on Yesterday and I would recommend!
    jblackburn likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)