'13 Eco - Transmission Bearing Failure
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '13 Eco - Transmission Bearing Failure

LS1LOL is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released

Hi guys, haven't posted here in a while. Having some issues with the cruze. '13 Eco M6,128.5k miles. Transmission bearings are whining pretty good. Would like some advice as to what options are out there for replacing the transmission. Seems like buying a used one is possibly a time bomb as these failures are basically factory defects. From what I understand, this issue was fixed in 14, but finding a used 14 transmission for an eco is likely not an easy task. Any tips for what to do for finding a replacement?

Also, the replacement itself. I'm fairly handy myself and likely will tackle this transmission replacement myself with a couple of buddies hopefully on a weekend. Any tips for getting it in and out? I breezed thru a walk thru and it looked like a nightmare...dropping the subframe and stuff. Someone else was saying pulling the motor and transmission is likely the easiest option. Is that also true? What other parts should I consider replacing? Clutch has never slipped on me once. In that walk thru he mentions replacing the slave and throw out bearing...i may consider that depending on cost but those also have never been an issue. Any wisdom here is also appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Tyler

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

LS1LOL is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released

Hi guys, haven't posted here in a while. Having some issues with the cruze. '13 Eco M6,128.5k miles. Transmission bearings are whining pretty good. Would like some advice as to what options are out there for replacing the transmission. Seems like buying a used one is possibly a time bomb as these failures are basically factory defects. From what I understand, this issue was fixed in 14, but finding a used 14 transmission for an eco is likely not an easy task. Any tips for what to do for finding a replacement?

Also, the replacement itself. I'm fairly handy myself and likely will tackle this transmission replacement myself with a couple of buddies hopefully on a weekend. Any tips for getting it in and out? I breezed thru a walk thru and it looked like a nightmare...dropping the subframe and stuff. Someone else was saying pulling the motor and transmission is likely the easiest option. Is that also true? What other parts should I consider replacing? Clutch has never slipped on me once. In that walk thru he mentions replacing the slave and throw out bearing...i may consider that depending on cost but those also have never been an issue. Any wisdom here is also appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Tyler

LS1LOL is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released

'13 Eco - Wheel Speed Sensor Issue

Hi guys, 13 cruze eco M6. ABS/Stabili-trak lights come on. Scan it with my buddies scanner. Open circuit passenger side rear wheel. Test the sensor, no resistance/continuity. Check the drivers side, has resistance. So I replace the speed sensor. Light comes back on. Now it's saying that the circuit is 'not plausible' C0050-5A. We played around with the crimp terminals and stuff, still no luck. My buddy recommended I replace the wheel bearing (keep in mind this has the drum rear brakes on it). Is this a semi common issue? Is that going to solve the issue? Not sure what else it could be? Thanks for any help! -Tyler

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    Have you checked the wiring between the sensor and computer? Maybe broken wire somewhere? Check for resistance/continuity and compare with other wheel sensor wiring?
    Hidden Content 2013 Cruze Eco Manual

Hidden Content 2004 Grand Prix GT2

LS1LOL is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Mods, I was really hoping to keep the speed sensor issue separate from the transmission issue...any chance to keep the two posts segregated?
    2013 M6 Cruze Eco

Administrator
    Did you change the fluid, and fill up to 2.5 quarts?

I'd just find a used 2014+ transmission and swap that in.
    Order PCV Fix Kits, Leak Test Kits, & Big 3 Kits at: Hidden Content
    Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

LS1LOL is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Transmission maintenance was rather meticulous IMO. At probably 15K miles I swapped the fluid for Amsoil syncromesh @ 2.5 quarts, and again at 35K(ish). Ithen put in the Amsoil GL fluid at 65K(ish_, and again at 100K (ish). Now I am having the bearing whine. Seems like it is probably the common 5/6 bearing failure. The noise seems to be coming from the top of the transmission.

I will see if I can find a decent used 14+ Eco transmission at a junkyard or something, but everything I have found online so far is rather pricey for what it actually is. Just wondering if I should put a new clutch in, slave, throwout bearing, etc while I am at it.

EDIT: I actually did one additional fluid swap so I added that interval to the list.
    Last edited by LS1LOL; 11-13-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    2013 M6 Cruze Eco

Quote Originally Posted by LS1LOL View Post
    Transmission maintenance was rather meticulous IMO. At probably 15K miles I swapped the fluid for Amsoil syncromesh @ 2.5 quarts, and again at 35K(ish). Ithen put in the Amsoil GL fluid at 65K(ish_, and again at 100K (ish). Now I am having the bearing whine. Seems like it is probably the common 5/6 bearing failure. The noise seems to be coming from the top of the transmission.

I will see if I can find a decent used 14+ Eco transmission at a junkyard or something, but everything I have found online so far is rather pricey for what it actually is. Just wondering if I should put a new clutch in, slave, throwout bearing, etc while I am at it.

EDIT: I actually did one additional fluid swap so I added that interval to the list.
    if I t were me I would be replacing the clutch kit and slave cylinder/ throwout bearing while I was in there, but I guess that would also depend on how much you are driving the car.

A high milage driver like myself would end up going back in to do the clutch in a few months whereas a low milage driver may make it a year or more before having to do so. All depends on how the car is being driven.
    '14 Cruze 1LT 6MT - KNN CAI - MAGNAFLOW CBE - Verano belly pans - NGK BKR8IEX plugs @.030 - Amsoil fluids throughout

5th Gear
    Given the mileage of the vehicle, I would replace those parts. It would be a real PITA to have to pull it all apart again later if you had to replace a part later down the road.
    Hidden Content 2013 Cruze Eco Manual

Hidden Content 2004 Grand Prix GT2

LS1LOL is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Do you guys have any places I could look at for buying a good condition transmission (even new or remanufactured)? Trying to weigh out the cost difference for just a junkyard transmission vs all new components...

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now