suspension quality degrading?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: suspension quality degrading?

Hazlitt777 is offline [OP]
    1st Gear

suspension quality degrading?

So I just completed a 600 mile round trip in Wisconsin in the winter. 70 miles an hour most of the way. Roads are rough during this time especially, so one needs to keep that in mind.

That being said, I asked myself, "Now that I've had this car for 4.5 years and have put 75,000 miles on it, the ride seems to be not as good. Feeling more like a buckboard."

Is there a time when the suspension should be "reworked" or the shocks replaced? Just wondering what others have experienced and if the suspension perhaps "sags" after 6 years.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

World Rally Champion Eddy Cruze's Avatar
    Now could be the time! Or it could be as simple as a piece of rubber that has worn or cracked after 6 years

Drag Racing Champion
    Shocks & struts wear out just like anything else.

At 75k miles. They're probably dead.

Of course, some have gone 200k miles and don't even notice that bouncy ride.
    Hazlitt777 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    Of course, some have gone 200k miles and don't even notice that bouncy ride.
    Yep - ours has 89k miles...on Michigan roads...and the suspension is completely fine. Even my Cavalier was fine (it rode like a truck, very stiff, but NOT bouncy) at 256k miles.
    snowwy66 likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
    Yep - ours has 89k miles...on Michigan roads...and the suspension is completely fine. Even my Cavalier was fine (it rode like a truck, very stiff, but NOT bouncy) at 256k miles.
    I bought my Cavaleir with 82k on the clock. First thing to go was the struts. I pulled them apart and they wouldn't even stand up. ZERO pressure.

I had a Horizon long before the Cavalier. It was a decent ride for the first 2 years. Then 1 day i took a corner on the highway and did a 360. Because the tires wouldn't kiss the ground. Worn out struts. It was after THAT experience I learned to pay more attention to the suspension system.

When shocks was the thing. People routinely replaced them. The strut comes out and it's a badly neglected item. Not many get replaced. I can't really say I blame them. A lot more work involved. Nowhere near as easy to replace over shocks.

How often should you replace your shocks and struts?
    Experts say that shocks and struts should be replaced every 50,000 to 100,000 miles. However, that's just a general recommendation. The life span of shocks and struts will depend on your driving patterns.

Is it dangerous to drive with bad struts?
    Driving with worn shocks or struts can result in more than just a bad ride—there are safety implications to consider. “Most drivers don't realize that driving with bad shocks or struts can actually increase your stopping distances, especially on wet or slippery roads,”

Symptoms of bad shocks or struts include:

• Badly cupped tires and/or noticeable tire shaking, wheel shimmy or vibration after hitting a bump.
    • Suspension bottoming on rough roads or when backing out of a driveway.
    • A bouncy ride.
    • Body sway or rocking when cornering or driving in strong crosswinds.
    Hazlitt777 likes this.

Touring Champion
    Yep, Cavalier sat up high, no bounce. Rode rough, but those struts were still working.

The front shocks in my Camaro came out fully compressed...and somehow weren't even connected up top (I didn't remove any of those bolts, washers or bushings and put them back on after).

I'm still puzzled over that one...
    sailurman and snowwy66 like this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Drag Racing Champion
    Sup with that missing stud on the right front? LOL

Driver's Ed
    In my case at 220,000 miles I started hitting bumps with a bag or thud. Since my struts were handling bounce & rebound fine nobody could figure it out. It took a really OLD timer to drive it 5 secs & he said it hitting bumps wayy too hard & to replace my struts. I read somewhere that a strut "cycles" at least 2,000 times a second on good roads & that theres more than one type of failure.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Mine were shot at 53k and noticeably so. Drove like crap compared to a brand new Cruze. Yep, time to change them.

Bilstein makes some great struts/shocks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Hazlitt777 likes this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hazlitt777 is offline [OP]
    1st Gear
    Well, I guess my car isn't new anymore. Hard to believe I've had it for almost five years.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)