Autocross/Tire Wear/Camber question...
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mechguy78
  • 1 Post By MP81
  • 2 Post By brian v
  • 1 Post By mechguy78

Thread: Autocross/Tire Wear/Camber question...

Driver's Ed

Autocross/Tire Wear/Camber question...

Hi all,

This weekend I took my Cruze to an autocross. The car was great as always. However...

This course setup included a skidpad (in both directions) and now I have some pretty ugly wear on the outside of my front tires. I bumped tire pressure up to 44psi hot in the front, and yet I was still rolling onto the tire "shoulder" and scrubbing rubber off pretty hard (the tires are BFG Sport comp 2, 225/50r17).

I plan on rotating the tires, but one of the TireRack techs present suggested adding 1-2° of negative camber to the fronts to help prevent this wear in upcoming events. So, questions:

I commute a lot, including about 4 1000mi road trips each year. Will adding front camber just ruin the inside of my front tires?

Can I even adjust the camber without lowering the car? Are there extra consequences with adjusting front camber but not rear camber?

If I do go forward with the camber adjustment, is installing camber bolts or elongating the strut holes easier? With camber bolts, I'll be able to adjust camber on the fly, correct?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Drag Racing Champion
    Adding camber will ruin the outside of your tires. Positive camber is top leaning out. Negative camber is top leaning in.

You'll need struts designed for camber adjustment. As there's no adjustment on stock struts. But, without a machine, you'll never be able to align it properly. And chances are you'll not only be eating up tires, you'll also be pulling. Camber pulls to most positive.

You're playing with pandoras box.

AS for your ugly tire wear on the outside. Your alignment changes as the steering wheel is turned. The tires lean out. Positive camber. Thus, outside tire wear.
    Main reason for tire rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by meoirosiosi View Post
    Hi all,

This weekend I took my Cruze to an autocross. The car was great as always. However...

This course setup included a skidpad (in both directions) and now I have some pretty ugly wear on the outside of my front tires. I bumped tire pressure up to 44psi hot in the front, and yet I was still rolling onto the tire "shoulder" and scrubbing rubber off pretty hard (the tires are BFG Sport comp 2, 225/50r17).

I plan on rotating the tires, but one of the TireRack techs present suggested adding 1-2° of negative camber to the fronts to help prevent this wear in upcoming events. So, questions:

I commute a lot, including about 4 1000mi road trips each year. Will adding front camber just ruin the inside of my front tires?

Can I even adjust the camber without lowering the car? Are there extra consequences with adjusting front camber but not rear camber?

If I do go forward with the camber adjustment, is installing camber bolts or elongating the strut holes easier? With camber bolts, I'll be able to adjust camber on the fly, correct?

Thanks
    Camber bolts would be the easier of the 2 to do.

As far as on the fly adjustments, you won’t know what adjustment you made in which direction without being on the alignment rack. The other issue you will run into is that when you adjust your camber, you will also be changing your toe as well, which could negatively affect your cars handling.
    plano-doug likes this.
    '14 Cruze 1LT 6MT - KNN CAI - MAGNAFLOW CBE - Verano belly pans - NGK BKR8IEX plugs @.030 - Amsoil fluids throughout

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    I have a brand new set of Eibach camber bolts if you are interested.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Touring Champion
    Pretty typical to roll the shoulder of your tires on an autocross, even with 1-2 degrees of negative camber, moreso the taller the sidewall you have. You have a 4.5" sidewall, so the shoulder of the tire is definitely going to roll near the limit.

Even my 225/40R18 Direzza ZIIs have a little shoulder wear on the corner - but it's within spec (there is an arrow on the sidewall showing where you should be rolling to). I'd expect a tire with a full inch more sidewall (your tire size) to roll a bit more. My 195/60R15 UHP All-seasons used to roll like crazy in autocross.
    brian v likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Resident Forum Drunkard

Cool

There is an instrument that can be placed on your rotor that has a liquid level sight . It is also adjustable to zero the sight . There are also digital angle levels that can and do give the operator an educated guess to a given value . Learn geometry and you will be able to adjust camber accurately .. caster camber plates or camber bolts will suffice for front camber adjustments . The rear camber can also be adjusted with a custom shim kit ... @MP81 has sound advice also , about sidewalls .

You will need a Digital angle level and a Camber guage !
    Last edited by brian v; 03-25-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    MP81 and Ncfutrell like this.
    Enduring ,Veteran Retired . Over 90 Jumps ..when you get to stop counting .

Knuckle Buster . !!!

Hidden Content . Lost , But Not Forgotten .

So Live your Life that the fear of Death can never enter your Heart .

Jan.2015 - MOTM - Feb /19/2011to 4/24/2015 cruzen , IT
    4/24/2015 Mustang.
    If you cannot Respect your Elders than Maybe you will learn to Respect your Betters ! this will save your Life when you think that you are just Grown enough to Take upon yourself to Bully another more mature MAN .

I build Cars and I have Surfed the Mavericks !

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mechguy78 View Post
    Camber bolts would be the easier of the 2 to do.

As far as on the fly adjustments, you won’t know what adjustment you made in which direction without being on the alignment rack. The other issue you will run into is that when you adjust your camber, you will also be changing your toe as well, which could negatively affect your cars handling.
    Camber bolts require struts setup for them. Basically a peice of plating on each side of the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    Camber bolts require struts setup for them. Basically a peice of plating on each side of the bolt.
    I have used a couple different types.

What at you are saying is correct for the type with the offset washers at one or both sides of the bolt. I have seen these in oem setups.

The other type utilizes a smaller diameter bolt with a cam in the middle that is the same size as the original strut bolts to provide the same adjustment. This type uses a washer with tabs that sit inside the bolt hole of the strut to keep the bolt centered allowing the cam in the middle to move things around as the bolt is turned. This is the style I installed when I lowered my previous car as I didn’t want any issues getting the alignment in spec afterwards.
    plano-doug likes this.
    '14 Cruze 1LT 6MT - KNN CAI - MAGNAFLOW CBE - Verano belly pans - NGK BKR8IEX plugs @.030 - Amsoil fluids throughout

11. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)