2014 Cruze Diesel ride quality is terrible even after shocks/struts replaced
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmlo96

Thread: 2014 Cruze Diesel ride quality is terrible even after shocks/struts replaced

TheDog is online now [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze

Question 2014 Cruze Diesel ride quality is terrible even after shocks/struts replaced

Hi all

Our Cruze has 120K miles on it. It has been a wonderful car in many ways but it has unfortunately had a lot of body work (deer, tree falling on it etc). At this point the front struts have been replaced twice in less than a year... Once with mystery parts from a body shop as part of an insurance repair and now recently by a Chevrolet dealer. The rear shocks were replaces less than a year ago and frankly, that swap out didn't seem to change anything. The dealer who just did the front struts claims to have carefully inspected the entirety of the front suspension and says everything looked ok. We also replaced the strut mounts/bearings just in case and an alignment was done so it was a very expensive repair. It hasn't appreciably improved our situation.

The performance issue is kind of strange. On good smooth roads the ride is of course perfectly fine. There isn't a single thing that squeaks or rattles anywhere in the car which is amazing to me considering its age and hard life. Over normal crummy roads (lumpy patched asphalt, non crumbling dips and small lumps) the ride is not terrible. It's not supple or great but it also isn't bouncy, loud or upsetting to the cars trajectory. Parking lot speed bumps taken at the intended low speeds are fine. But over slightly sharper bumps (poorly done bridge joints, any seam between two pieces of pavement where there is more than a tiny vertical change in level, some sharper dips etc, some deeper manhole covers) the car SLAMS through the bumps with a very loud and disturbing whack that seems entirely out of proportion to the bump. Sometimes there can be 3 or 4 little bumps in a 1/2 mile section and 3 of them are normal jiggly car suspension doing its job bumps and one (which looks only a tiny bit worse) feels like you drove over a curb at 25 MPH. Not sure how to describe it any more accurately. I can tell you that there is no rattling worn out taxi cab type sounds going over speed bumps etc. I had a Malibu with sway bar issues and that made a distinctive sound which this car has never had.

I remember reading some snarky phrase that said something like... if you think your suspension problem is in the front, it's probably in the rear and if you are sure your problem is in the front, it's almost certainly in the rear..... Assuming that the really great dealer who has seen the car many times hasn't missed something in regular inspections of the front and given that the strut replacing dealer swears they road tested and inspected carefully and couldn't come up with anything other than struts to replace... Is it possible something is terribly wrong with the Z-Link or some other rear component and what would we even look for back there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Touring Champion
    Have you checked your front swaybar end links - or the ends?

That last statement, I'm not really sure where it came from - there are plenty of front suspension problems that clearly comes from the front.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Make sure the first shop did not put on quick struts. The parts are generally far inferior to the OEM parts. If the Chevrolet dealer used springs from a former quickstrut, that could certainly be an issue. I've worked with quickstruts before and the spring rate never seems to be right.

Also, have you changed tires recently? Cheap tires/tires with hard sidewalls could certainly cause this problem. Air pressure in the tires could also be a factor; however, unless you are significantly over inflated that should be a big issue.
    Blasirl likes this.
    Current- 2014 Red Hot Cruze 1LT RS 6M
    Past- 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatch

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    Thanks for the ideas. It goes back in Tuesday to our favorite and very trusted dealer. As I look up the part numbers I am very surprised to see that the strut assemblies they used don't appear to have springs in them, that is a separate part. Sigh. What a waste of money.

More to follow after Tuesday's visit.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

What tires do you have on it?
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    What tires do you have on it?
    The tires are the non Chevrolet specific Fuel Max tires from Goodyear. This is a seriously nasty slamming noise far beyond the range of adjustment from tires or tire pressures.

At this point I actually think I may have bad motor mounts. Dealer will investigate tomorrow.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by TheDog View Post
    The tires are the non Chevrolet specific Fuel Max tires from Goodyear. This is a seriously nasty slamming noise far beyond the range of adjustment from tires or tire pressures.

At this point I actually think I may have bad motor mounts. Dealer will investigate tomorrow.
    Maybe; I was thinking subframe mounts or some kinda bushing somewhere but they usually take far longer to degrade.

Some tires are seriously rock-hard pieces of crap though (looking at you, Bridgestone EL400).
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)