DIY Delete Air Intake Resonator (Pic heavy)
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mikeeitup
  • 1 Post By XtremeRevolution

Thread: DIY Delete Air Intake Resonator (Pic heavy)

mikeeitup is online now [OP]

DIY Delete Air Intake Resonator (Pic heavy)

I did the Resonator Bypass but found that my intake started making a vibration sound. We all know that GM spent a lot of time and money making our intakes and that aftermarket ones aren't as good as we once thought they were. So if you want to hear your intake a little more and get around that pesky resonator while still utilizing the full potential of your intake from front to end, this is for you. There is another "How to" on bypassing it, but you might be getting some hot engine air from it as the box does not create a perfect seal. You also might want the air coming in from the front of your car where the "snorkel" is so alls you gotta do is hack up for resonator. By no means am I an expert and this might have been a terrible thing to do to my car but only time will tell and other experts from our forum. Let me know what you think! I have much to learn.

Here is what you need:
    Dremel /saw
    Sander
    Some sort of glue
    A 1 1/2inch PVC Cap
    A rubber cap with clamp

First step is to follow normal Instructions to get to your resonator and remove it. Here is a link to how people get to it during installation of their Injen intakes: https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-ho...e-install.html

Once that is out here is what your intake looks like:

Cut that sucker right in half with a dremel or saw using the seam that is shown along it's side:

You can now sand the edges where you just cut or not depending how much of a perfectionist you are. In this pic you will notice the tube sticking into where the resonator guts where. This is what is gonna need to be plugged airtight for you to have the sound/performance of no resonator:

Take the rubber cap and using a marker, make a line where the top of the cap is. This is where you will cut:

Cut it and sand it down to a perfect straight tube that is a lot shorter:

Clean up the resonator that you have left and grab your 1 1/2inch PVC cap. Cut the cap here:

Place the rubber cap over your PVC cap remains and draw a line indexing where to cut/sand down to so that the PVC cap will fit inside your rubber cap. The purpose of the PVC cap is to cover the tube end. The rubber and glue will make the plug airtight, but the rubber could get sucked into the intake under the turbos power 18+psi. The PVC prevents this from happening. This is the PVC plug sanded down so it will fit inside the rubber plug but not into the tube no matter what:

Put your glue or cement or JB weld onto the bottom of the PVC cap and put that onto your tube to cover it:

Cover the inside of your rubber cap with glue and jam that thing down into of your PVC cap and tube. Then screw it tight and hold it down for a few minutes:

This is the plug installed. Looking in from the intakes other end. The blue/green is the glue on the bottom of the PVC cap:

You are done when it is dry. Reinstall it back into your car and secure it all down:

A view from the engine bay with the filter box removed:

THAT'S ALL FOR NOW FOLKS. I will be reporting back with any information that I learn from it. Let me know what you think. Hit me with questions and criticism. I wanted to learn and experiment by taking a resonator bypass to the next level. I MIGHT be dropping a K&N filter in the box or something else soon.

~Mike
    Last edited by mikeeitup; 11-01-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Pictures did not initially work.
    CruzzieQ likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Well that's a new way to do it. I like it! Bypassing the resonator while keeping the stock plumbing. This is a good option for those who want a bit more sound but don't want to compromise the general design of the stock intake. Thanks for putting this together.
    mikeeitup likes this.
    Order PCV Fix Kits, Leak Test Kits, & Big 3 Kits at: Hidden Content
    Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Learning about my Cruze mcwilly14's Avatar
    any results yet?
    Hidden Content
    Modifications:
    10% Window Tint All Around
    55W 6000k Fogs
    OPT7 35W HID Low Beam 8000k (Updating Soon to OPT7 AC 55W 8000K)
    Carbon Fiber Door Handles
    Trifecta Elite Tune
    ZZP Intake
    Complete Bypass Intake Resonator
    Upcoming in January: ZZP Racedownpipe, ZZP Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, and Elbach Pro-Kit.

Interior:
    1080P Dashcam
    PLX Gauge
    Boost Gauge

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I can't see your photos

5th Gear
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

mikeeitup is online now [OP]
    Hey all I ended up installing an INJEN full CAI about a year later. Sorry for the delay. Yeah I posted this before PB decided to shake people down so the pics are probably dead.
    ~Mike~

Driver's Ed
    I can see the pics just fine. Great job!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)