How to: Swap Your Eco Single Tone Horn for the Regular Horn
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By BowtieGuy

Thread: How to: Swap Your Eco Single Tone Horn for the Regular Horn

BowtieGuy is online now [OP]

How to: Swap Your Eco Single Tone Horn for the Regular Horn

Overview:

All Cruze Ecos come with a wimpy stock single tone horn. All other Cruzen get a much louder dual tone horn. One thing I noticed was that people rarely seemed to acknowledge my existence when using the stock Eco horn. So I decided to swap to the regular Cruze dual tone horn. This is a direct plug and play swap.

Tools Recommended:

- T20 Torx bit
    - Body panel/trim push pin removal tool (a flat head screw driver and trim tools work)
    - 13mm deep well socket
    - Phillips screwdriver, if needed

Parts Required:

- 94526131 Cruze dual tone horn

Procedure:

1.) You have two ways of doing this, You can either go up through the bottom behind the bumper as shown below, or remove the front bumper cover. I went the former route in order to avoid breaking the annoying tabs on the bumper cover during removal. I also have long, lanky arms and hands so I was able to maneuver between the bumper cover and the front end to remove the old single tone horn and install the dual tone horn.

2.) If you want to remove the front bumper cover and make things a little easier on yourself (or if you have big hands/arms/fingers) I used this video to remove the bottom air deflector, and it shows removal of the front bumper cover as well as the final location of the dual tone horns on the driver's side:

https://youtu.be/yckJz_Gs16Q

3.) If you are like me and want to avoid pulling the front bumper cover and have some patience, I will now go through how I swapped the horns without pulling the front bumper cover. You may also consider removing the driver's side wheel well cover too.

- Remove the front air deflector that is attached to the front bumper. The video I linked in step 2 shows how to do this very well. You will need the push pin tool and the T20 torx bit for this step.

- The following picture is looking at the driver's side fog light. You want to remove the front temperature sensor from the fog light trim which is the slot located to the right of the driver's side fog light when looking from the front of the vehicle (the video in step 2 also demonstrates how to remove it). I didn't bother unplugging it, just move it out of the way for now. In addition, you will need to unplug the driver's side fog light harness, if equipped. This is the gray wiring shown below.
    Step 1.jpg

- After unplugging the harness to the fog light and removing the temperature sensor from the front trim, you are ready to remove the fog light, if equipped. There are 3 screws total, with one being on the far side of the fog light as indicated by the three circles in the image below. As I said before, this is where long, lanky and thin arms/hand/fingers comes into play. It is a tight fit to maneuver in this space. The screws require a Philips screwdriver. I used a short Philips bit with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and 1/4 in socket for clearance.
    Step 2.jpg

- If you haven't given up yet and just removed the front bumper cover, the rest is easy. Without the fog light out of the way, you can now reach up and access the horn. There will be a wiring harness that plugs into the assembly near the bottom. Unplug the harness from the horn assembly. If you look up above the horn assembly, there will be a 13 mm nut holding the horn assembly in place. I used a 3/8 inch ratchet with an extension and 13mm deep well socket to get to it. Once again, it will be a tight fit. The horn is shown by the dust cover in the following image.
    Step 3.jpg

- Now that the horn is removed, here is a comparison of the Eco single tone horn to the regular Cruze dual tone horn. The Eco single tone horn is on the left, with the regular Cruze two tone horn on the right.
    horn comparison.jpg

- I removed the dust guard from my original Eco horn and put it on the uncovered horn on the dual horn set for increased protection of the new horns (only comes with 1 guard stock). Depress the two rear clips and the guard will slide off the front. You can now install it on the new dual tone horn.
    horn comparison2.jpg

- Now place the new dual tone horns in the stock location. They will fit onto the bolt and slot. The end of the video in step 2 shows the location and orientation of the dual tone horns. When tightening down the 13 mm nut, the torque value is only 13 ft-lbs (156 in-lbs), so you don't need to wrench down very hard to get it on.

- The rest is the reverse of removal. Plug in the new horn harness into the slot on the horn assembly(you may want to test operation at this point). Install the driver's side fog light and 3 screws, if equipped. Install the outside temperature sensor in the fog light trim by popping it through the back. Plug in the driver's side fog light harness. Reinstall the front air deflector to the bumper.

4.) After it's all buttoned back up, you are done! Below is a sound comparison of the stock Eco horn first, and the dual tone horn second. My wife was in the house during this time and commented that the dual tone setup was much louder.

https://youtu.be/5KuElYfEXSk
    Last edited by BowtieGuy; 04-02-2016 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Fixed attachments
    spacedout, Merc6 and dhpnet like this.
    Hidden Content 2013 Cruze Eco Manual

Hidden Content 2004 Grand Prix GT2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

None of your pictures came through.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

BowtieGuy is online now [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    None of your pictures came through.
    Yeah, I noticed after I had posted but didn't get a chance to come back and fix it until now. Should be good now.
    Hidden Content 2013 Cruze Eco Manual

Hidden Content 2004 Grand Prix GT2

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Great write up. Thanks. I have always hated my horn!

Driver's Ed
    I completed this mod over the weekend, choosing to leave the bumper on. It was a huge pain in the you know what, but somehow I managed! Thanks for the write up!

Group B Rally Champion
    I recently traded my 1LT cruze for a LTZ sonic, Who would have guessed I would end up with the weak, pathetic ECO single tone horn.... GRRR. Looking into it though it seems I can also do this mod for plug and play upgrade.

Dear GM if I wanted a toyota horn I would have bought a toyota. I honked at a deer in the road the other day, with the cruze dual tone horn it would have ran away scared... **** thing turned and laughed at me with this single tone horn!!!!

Handbrake Released quailallstar's Avatar
    Great DIY. Looking to also do this on my Gen 2 soon. Assuming the horn is in the same location.
    2018 Chevy Cruze RS Hatchback
    1.6l CDTI
    ECOTEC Diesel - der "flüster diesel" (B16DTH)
    Red Hot Exterior / Kalahari & Jet Black Leather Interior
    --> Hidden Content GM<--

Did this on my 2014 Eco today, ended up taking the bumper cover off which wasn’t too difficult. New horn is much nicer sounding and much louder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)