Car audio guys, how do you do it?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Car audio guys, how do you do it?

sciphi is offline [OP]
    Retired Moderator

Car audio guys, how do you do it?

To all the car audio buffs out there, how do you all keep at it? After installing a new radio in our Honda (needed Bluetooth), I swear that is the last radio I install! Wiring up the harness was a PITA, and so was all the interior trim removal, even with the right tools. You all must have the patience of saints and nimbler fingers than me. Oh well, file that under the heading of been there done that.

Seriously, how do all of you keep doing that? (Asking halfway tongue in cheek!)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Hidden Content
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Resident Forum Drunkard
    we like IT we love IT we need more of IT​ !
    Enduring ,Veteran Retired . Over 90 Jumps ..when you get to stop counting .

Knuckle Buster . !!!

Hidden Content . Lost , But Not Forgotten .

So Live your Life that the fear of Death can never enter your Heart .

Jan.2015 - MOTM - Feb /19/2011to 4/24/2015 cruzen , IT
    4/24/2015 Mustang.
    If you cannot Respect your Elders than Maybe you will learn to Respect your Betters ! this will save your Life when you think that you are just Grown enough to Take upon yourself to Bully another more mature MAN .

I build Cars and I have Surfed the Mavericks !

Off-Road Champion
    same reason I keep turning wreches, plus I make money when I do it...

Driver's Ed
    I detest taking interior apart. I'd much rather pay someone for an install than suffer through broken clips and destroyed plastic parts because i wanted to save a few hundred dollars. Honestly, i think i look forward to a colonoscopy more than car audio installs.

Administrator

Realistically, if you do a job right the first time, you won't have to do it again later. You pull the trim when it's warm out so the plastic won't crack as easily. You run high quality shielded RCAs, run good wiring, and run an oversized power cable. Past that point, every next improvement is minimal. You don't have to keep taking apart panels to upgrade, except maybe your front doors to upgrade those door speakers. I took apart the entire trunk as I'm working on my new project, but the wiring will still be there, which is 75% of the work to be honest with you. I won't be opening the dash either.
    Order PCV Fix Kits, Leak Test Kits, & Big 3 Kits at: Hidden Content
    Link::Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

sciphi is offline [OP]
    Retired Moderator

I made sure to do it right the first time. It was enough of a pain where I did not want to even think of having to re-do things. No half baking it, which is likely why it took so long.

XtremeRevolution likes this.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Hidden Content
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

MjC
    ive removed some of the trim to install my sub, well 1 month later, i still havent reinstalled them or hid the wires yet.
    2012 Summit White LT1

Banned

Ha, 88 Supra was a fun project, striped out the entire interior, but was only 50 years old at the time. 04 wasn't too bad, used all screws, wanted a fully reversible installation. Helps to have sheet metal tools, made a panel out of 1/8" aluminum to match the existing holes under the package tray, and the holes in the amplifiers. Have all profession crimping tools, electronic knowledge, and had to pull the dash on this one. But was only 64 years old.

Giving the Cruze second thoughts, air bags to deal with, all plastic snap in panels, this is a hot day project, but have used space heaters and a heat gun when things have got to be done. 74 years old now, neuropathology problems. But getting better, did completely rewire a boat four years ago with just my left hand, right hand was dead. But could use my wrist to help guide. Figured my left hand remained idle all these years, time to put it to work.

Did bring along a CD to test the radio on a 2LT, figured I could get use to it, but still thinking about it. Do have a test CD. a pro sound level meter, and a distortion meter. But won't dare try that, ha, leave well enough alone, those numbers may disturb me.

What a long winter, 3' of snow on the ground, very cold outside, getting restless for spring, maybe if it ever gets here, will give you guys a break from me.

Lyrical Wordsmith
    We all have things we are good at. I am good at taking off body pieces from the car, painting, engine work with the right instructions. But lord knows if you try to get me to wire ANYTHING, even something as simple as a FOG LIGHT, i will spend a week under the car screaming at terminals.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by iKermit View Post
    We all have things we are good at. I am good at taking off body pieces from the car, painting, engine work with the right instructions. But lord knows if you try to get me to wire ANYTHING, even something as simple as a FOG LIGHT, i will spend a week under the car screaming at terminals.
    This is what I envision you doing when looking at a wiring diagram.

Order PCV Fix Kits, Leak Test Kits, & Big 3 Kits at: Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)