Indianapolis 500 Qualifications **Picture Heavy**
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis 500 Qualifications **Picture Heavy**

GMFanatic is offline [OP]

Indianapolis 500 Qualifications **Picture Heavy**

Today my forum college roommate and I attended qualifications for the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500. My roommate is from Cleveland and has never attended any event at IMS so I felt it to be my responsibility to show him the real deal. Here are some photos I took today; I apologize for the poor quality iPhone photos.

Our seats in the newly built Hulman Terrace Club

Our view from club seating

Photos from the garage

Newer Aston Martin Vanquish

Photos from the pits

Tony Kanaan with his family

The Borg-Warner trophy

Last but certainly not least, a picture I snagged of the man himself Mario Andretti

Banned

Not to be a spoil sport, so many regulations on these races, completely lost interest. Use to be innovation, better vehicles, better technology, now just a bunch of left turns.

Just glorifies the driver, but if they learn if his engine displacement is just 0.01 milliliters oversized, is disqualified.

Also just a sport for the super rich, never liked these guys, greedy, selfish, and users for the people that made him that way.

Resident Forum Drunkard
    But Nick these race cars are open wheel and doing 230 MPH in a 4 mile stretch of pavement on rubber tires and Penscke coilovers ..

Honda sure has come of age in Indiana ..
    Enduring ,Veteran Retired . Over 90 Jumps ..when you get to stop counting .

Knuckle Buster . !!!

Hidden Content . Lost , But Not Forgotten .

So Live your Life that the fear of Death can never enter your Heart .

Jan.2015 - MOTM - Feb /19/2011to 4/24/2015 cruzen , IT
    4/24/2015 Mustang.
    If you cannot Respect your Elders than Maybe you will learn to Respect your Betters ! this will save your Life when you think that you are just Grown enough to Take upon yourself to Bully another more mature MAN .

I build Cars and I have Surfed the Mavericks !

Group B Rally Champion

I visited there about this time years ago. The cars sound just like they do on TV - just much louder.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Banned

Ticket price range is anywhere for $40.00 to $6,500.00 to watch the race in person, either way, just a spectator with no say.

Same way with any professional sport, use to do this in my younger days, but came to that realization that not only didn't I have any say, really didn't benefit me in any way if my team won or lost.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Not to be a spoil sport, so many regulations on these races, completely lost interest. Use to be innovation, better vehicles, better technology, now just a bunch of left turns.

Just glorifies the driver, but if they learn if his engine displacement is just 0.01 milliliters oversized, is disqualified.

Also just a sport for the super rich, never liked these guys, greedy, selfish, and users for the people that made him that way.
    Nick, I am sorry to hear that your previous experiences have caused you to have a loss in interest, but for arguments sake I'll comment on a few of your points.

Your first comment about regulations and lack in innovation is some what of a moot point; also to tie into this is your comment about not ever having a say in anything that happens within the IRL. The Indianapolis 500 is titled "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing", "spectacle" meaning for a spectator who doesn't have any merit in suggestions for regulations. If you were a safety annalist who understood risk and the correlation of allowing that "innovation" to continue and the increased risk of deadly accidents for both the drivers and spectators, I'm sure the IRL would love to hire you.

The reason you've not seen massive speed increases at IMS is because of the nature of the track. Brian made a point that these cars are traveling at an average of 230 MPH. However what Nick said about 4 miles is incorrect; the total length of the Speedway is 2.5 miles. This is the reason you've not seen larger speed increases. With tire technology where it is and the ability to produce only so much down force they are already on the brink of absolute potential.

Consider this for a moment; in 1912 the average car speed was nearly 81 MPH. Today that average is well over 228 MPH. I think that is pretty impressive innovation while still maintaining safety for both the drivers and spectators alike.

This sport maybe for the super rich, but how else do you see them to afford massive cost associated with owning a race team? Not all drivers are greedy, pretentious or selfish. Nor or all the spectators at the track; I may have had a ticket that cost $1,800 but I can tell you the people in club seating were all very kind. I've met Alexander Rossi, James Hinchcliffe, Tony Kanaan, Mario Andretti, Ed Carpenter, Will Power and I can attest that if you present yourself as kind and inviting they will enjoy talking to you. I've sat and had an hour long discussion with Alexander Rossi and we both left with smiles on our faces.

This is my favorite saying "You'll always catch more bees with honey rather than vinegar".

If you want to have a say in regulations put yourself in the place to make those suggestions heard. Any if you expect to gain anything from your team or driver winning I suggest you put some money on the race.

The idea behind the Indianapolis 500 and the entire month of May is to experience the history, the culture, and the excitement that is The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.

6th Gear
    Awesome pics! I've always wanted to go to Indy, be it for the Indy 500 or the Brickyard 400. I'd just like to experience going to that track!
    -Terry
    Hidden Content
    2014 Cruze 1LT RS

Banned

So what use to be a 6 hour 15 minute race has now been reduced to a two hour ten minute race. But I sure hope my eightball comments didn't prevent the Indy from selling a $6,500.00 ticket.

Ha, make the same comments to Packer fans around here, they wanted over a thousand bucks for a ticket for a playoff game that was way high up in the grandstands behind one of the goal posts. But making comments like this tend to make me very unpopular.

Not all negative about racing, did give my grandkids a slot car racing set, but ended up adding small resistors in series with the controllers so the cars wouldn't fly off the track every two seconds.

Yes, racing is safer, not killing a driver every race like they use to.

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by GMFanatic View Post
    Your first comment about regulations and lack in innovation is some what of a moot point;
    Many years ago, read a book by Andy Granatelli who had a few choice comments about that. He tried to bring innovation, but they effectively outlawed his turbine car, 4 wheel drive, and side-by-side configuration. See, if his innovation won, then all the old chassis were instant museum pieces. Many owners couldn't afford that, so they blocked change.

Probably could say the same about NASCAR and carburetors. Can anyone name a modern car that's worth a darn that isn't fuel injected?
    Last edited by ChevyGuy; 05-22-2016 at 09:44 PM.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    Many years ago, read a book by Andy Granatelli who had a few choice comments about that. He tried to bring innovation, but they effectively outlawed his turbine car, 4 wheel drive, and side-by-side configuration. See, if his innovation won, then all the old chassis were instant museum pieces. Many owners couldn't afford that, so they blocked change.

Probably could say the same about NASCAR and carburetors. Can anyone name a modern car that's worth a darn that isn't fuel injected?
    I will absolutely agree with your point about turbine powered race cars. The type 56 was truly remarkable for it's time; and that is just it, I think it was too far ahead of it's time. The cars are currently running at 230 MPH powered by a twin-turbo V6 producing a maximum of 700 horsepower built either by Honda or Chevrolet. At this point in the progression it isn't necessarily engines that are holding back higher speeds. It's the current limitations in the track, tires and down force. I would have loved to have seen Mr. Jones run in 1967 or the Lotus run in 1968.

For a reference point for those who are lost:

This is the earlier car mentioned; STP-Paxton Turbocar driven by Parnelli Jones in 1967. This car was knocked out of the race due to a $6.00 transmission bearing.

This is the later turbine car designed by Lotus. Lotus Type 56 driven by Graham Hill. This car never finished the race due to a failed fuel pump.

Three of these car were brought to Indy, but only 1 competed.

I was at the track in 2014. Seeing the cars run was pretty incredible. This is not my video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2KVAay9P3Y

One a side note; NASCAR has had EFI since 2012.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)