Latest Reports Say The Chevrolet Sonic Is In Fact Going Away
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Latest Reports Say The Chevrolet Sonic Is In Fact Going Away

Latest Reports Say The Chevrolet Sonic Is In Fact Going Away

The choices narrow further...……….but I'm still brand loyal.
    Latest Reports Say The Chevrolet Sonic Is In Fact Going Away | GM Authority
    2018 Satin Steel Metallic Cruze Diesel LT A9 w/Driver Confidence,Sun & Sound Package and Leather Package
    Weathertech front,rear & trunk,legal tint.
    John

Administrator

The Sonic is built in the same plant as the Bolt and as Bolt demand increases GM has been shifting production away from the Sonic and to the Bolt.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Touring Champion
    Yup, up at Orion Assembly, only about 30 min away from me. Doesn't surprise me in the least. Small cars like the Sonic are the opposite of the gigantic vehicles people are convinced they need to own.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
    Yup, up at Orion Assembly, only about 30 min away from me. Doesn't surprise me in the least. Small cars like the Sonic are the opposite of the gigantic vehicles people are convinced they need to own.
    Yeah, people are retarded!

Group B Rally Champion

Regardless of fuel price, smaller cars make sense for those who live in a crowded area. I'm not sure how well an all-electric car would do in that market, since the same folks may not have access to a home charger. They'd have to use public charging stations.
    obermd likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    Regardless of fuel price, smaller cars make sense for those who live in a crowded area. I'm not sure how well an all-electric car would do in that market, since the same folks may not have access to a home charger. They'd have to use public charging stations.
    We had a '13 Fiat 500 Lounge for the weekend from work, and we took a trip down to Chicago. The car itself was pretty bad, especially merging acceleration with the non-turbo 1.4L, but I will tell ya - street parking at my wife's grandparent's house a block away from Midway was so incredibly easy because tiny car.

Yeah, something like a Bolt would be great, dimension wise, but you'd really need to be able to charge while at work to make it work, if you don't have a garage.
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    These stupid subcompact SUVs are filling that niche now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    These stupid subcompact SUVs are filling that niche now.
    How would you like to:

A) Pay More
    B) Go Slower
    C) Handle Worse
    D) Get Worse Fuel Economy

Yes to all? Here's your subcompact CUV!

Why anyone would choose a Trax over a Sonic, or, worse yet, an EcoSport (make sure you pronounce that "Echo" Sport, not to be confused with the "Eeko" Boost engine, because that makes sense Ford) over a Festiva is beyond me...but they do, and it's horrible.
    obermd and jblackburn like this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
    How would you like to:

A) Pay More
    B) Go Slower
    C) Handle Worse
    D) Get Worse Fuel Economy

Yes to all? Here's your subcompact CUV!

Why anyone would choose a Trax over a Sonic, or, worse yet, an EcoSport (make sure you pronounce that "Echo" Sport, not to be confused with the "Eeko" Boost engine, because that makes sense Ford) over a Festiva is beyond me...but they do, and it's horrible.
    Well, I may be in a position to respond to the questions since I own two Trax's.....a 2017 and 2018, both awd Premiers.
    My wife drives the 2017, I drive the 2018 which replaced my 2015 2wd Trax.
    The 2015 replaced my 2012 Cruze which operated flawlessly during my ownership.

I chose the 2015 because I wanted something with a bit more interior room than my Cruze. I really would have preferred a small wagon but, for whatever reason, no such animal from Chevrolet. I gave serious consideration to a Sonic RS hatch but the interior dimensions are still a bit on the tight side.

As I write this, keep in mind I have several performance cars as well as a full size Silverado, but none of them were purchased to be daily drivers.......as a result, I can scratch my performance car and larger hauling needs without much difficulty.

I am always in this never ending quest to find the right daily driver......something I can let the salt gods eat up (joys of snow belt living).
    At the same time, I ain't getting any younger and, although I can hop in and out of my two Miata's without fanfare, ease of entry and exit on the daily becomes a consideration.
    Also, a back seat that full size humans can sit in without feeling as though they are in 'purgatory' is a consideration since my acquaintances tend be, uh, older as well. Lastly, a (or two) baby seats for the grandkids (wife's car) may have to go back there from time to time.

Pay more: yes, a bit, but these are awd and we know additional hardware costs........my 2wd 2015 wasn't but about a grand more than the Sonic I was toying with.....I figured this as the cost of space.

Go slower: No doubt.....Same engine as the Cruze, several hundred pounds heavier with an additional gearbox but frankly, not as bad as one would think. And, truthfully, in the urbanized area I operate in, the stoplight gran prix is sort of a non issue. Again, I can scratch my itch with other cars in my fleet.

Handles worse: Keeping the above in mind, it handles better than I ever anticipated but I'm not planning on a run at the auto x.

Worse fuel economy: Just like my Cruze, very throttle dependent, same as any turbo......economy or power, not economy and power. Takes oats to feed the ponies.
    However, both of the Trax's (17 and 18) are floating in the 28/29 mpg range which I think is remarkable for all the weight and hardware this little engine is dealing with.

My highway trip mpg is often in the 33/34 range.......I think that is amazing since the aero's aren't much different than a brick. The 2015 2wd would highway just under 36, so you can see the additional gearboxes effect.

My own opinion about Chevrolet dropping the Cruze and Sonic: I think they are insane. IMO, electric cars are a great secondary vehicle for around town blasting, but.

1. Regardless of range, recharging takes too long. The superchargers (DC quick charge) are down to 20 minutes for 80% charge. I cannot imagine anyone finding a 20 minute fuel (recharge) stop acceptable for 80% range.
    The above assumes there is a supercharger available as you pull in to recharge (unlikely imo).

2. I do not believe this country has enough infrastructure to support a large population of cars recharging......not when certain parts of the country already experience 'brownouts' due to inadequate infrastructure and current producing capability.
    Also, once electric companies do start bringing the capabilities online you can count on your electric bill being adjusted.....meaning your home electric bill.

I am amazed that GM is eliminating the Volt.....imo the perfect answer at this point in time.....a car that is electric for around town and yet can be used as a gas burner for cross country trips.
    If anything, I think they should be expanding on that type of vehicle.....but, who am I?

Rob

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I cannot imagine anyone finding a 20 minute fuel (recharge) stop acceptable for 80% range.
    As a dedicated stop, I agree. But it might make sense if the stop is also a destination - such as a shopping mall or roadside attraction. If you gotta wait, you might as well enjoy the wait.

I also agree we're really not ready for a mass shift in energy consumption.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)