Windows 7 Upgrade 2020
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Windows 7 Upgrade 2020

Eddy Cruze is offline [OP]
    World Rally Champion Eddy Cruze's Avatar

Windows 7 Upgrade 2020

I woke up to read this good news from Microsoft, my Computer will stop working January 14th 2020. I love my Dell computer with its 17.3 Inch screen and back lit keyboard. Sure I opted out of the free at the time upgrade but did not expect to read this:

While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10. And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended.

5th Gear
    So, after ten year of updates, they won't update it any more.
    After which point, it will be just as insecure as it always was.
    Eddy Cruze likes this.
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

Group B Rally Champion

I'm guessing you're using a laptop since you could easily keep the screen and keyboard while changing the "CPU".

I was using a 7-year old HP 17" HP laptop that I had upgraded to Windows 10. I had over the years added more memory and a bigger hard drive. But the case was cracking by the hinges and it was giving me hints that it had reached "old age". So, when I saw a Black Friday deal, HP 17" with i3 for $400, I got it. Not only is it solid but it runs laps around my old laptop. I think it's the Optane disk caching.

So, you've got a choice: Keep an eye out for a good deal, upgrade to Windows 10 (most likely it will work), or switch to Linux (I'll have to do that with a "netbook" I have - it's got a weird video chip that isn't supported by Win10.)

But I would suggest trying to find the age of your existing machine. Putting a hard number to that might tilt your decision.
    Eddy Cruze likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    After which point, it will be just as insecure as it always was.
    Except now, the bad guys know about them.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Administrator

Windows 7 won't stop working. It just won't receive anymore updates. The threat environment today is far different from that of 10 years ago - Windows 7 simply can't keep up with todays threats. In addition, once you go past five to seven years on hardware the risk of component failure starts to skyrocket. I'd consider replacing the machine.
    Eddy Cruze and ChevyGuy like this.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Drag Racing Champion
    It's no different the other operating systems past. They all get discontinued

Xp was shut off years ago

I've never been able to get more then 3 years out of my computers. Laptops will last though but they hardly get used.

Formula One Champion
    XP is still the most stable
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

1st Gear
    And I'm reading this on an iMac.

Drag Racing Champion
    Xp is virtually unusable today. 10 can do more then xp ever did.

Eddy Cruze is offline [OP]
    World Rally Champion Eddy Cruze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    Xp is virtually unusable today. 10 can do more then xp ever did.
    XP was terrible and Vista wasn't good either. I just bought a Refurbished Touch Screen Back Lit Keyboard 2018 Acer Chromebook and despite the reviews about the 'stunning' screen it was dark, very disappointing, kept it for a day . Office Depot really didn't want to take it back yet their return policy clearly says they do. It was picked up yesterday and its back home in Phoenix today. Perhaps I will just buy something new. I'm surprised this Laptop has lasted 10 years, the heat is incredible and every now and then it just can't take it and turns off, signs of things to come no doubt? Thanks for the comments all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)