1234 vehicles
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1234 vehicles

snowwy66 is online now [OP]
    Drag Racing Champion

R1234YF vehicles

Does anyone own one yet. How many charge ports are there. 1 or 2????

My son has a 15 dodge 1500 eco 3.0 v6. We only see one port. At the moment.

With the new regulations. It got me thinking. Maybe there's only one port.

The new regs no longer allow top offs. It must be drained, vacuumed, charged to 15%, vents tested for leaks and finished filling.

Still investigating his truck for another port but there's only one in plain sight.
    Last edited by snowwy66; 05-05-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    Does anyone own one yet. How many charge ports are there. 1 or 2????

My son has a 15 dodge 1500 eco 3.0 v6. We only see one port. At the moment.

With the new regulations. It got me thinking. Maybe there's only one port.

The new regs no longer allow top offs. It must be drained, vacuumed, charged to 15%, vents tested for leaks and finished filling.

Still investigating his truck for another port but there's only one in plain sight.
    Not familiar with regs on A/C systems.

I can confirm that my 2018 CTD has 2 ports as well as my 2016 Dodge Journey.
    1 on the high side and 1 on the low side. They are both R-1234yf vehicles.

From what I understand, this new refrigerant is supposed to be more environmentally friendly than R-134a.

Just like in 1992 when the switch was made from R-12 to R-134a.
    R-12 damaged the Ozone layer.
    R-134a is a greenhouse gas.
    R-1234yf apparently is relatively safe for the environment.
    snowwy66 likes this.
    2018 Cruze Turbo Diesel 1.6L 9T50 LT
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel 2.0L AF40-6
    (Sold) 38.2MPG DIC Lifetime Average

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TDCruze View Post
    Not familiar with regs on A/C systems.

I can confirm that my 2018 CTD has 2 ports as well as my 2016 Dodge Journey.
    1 on the high side and 1 on the low side. They are both R-1234yf vehicles.

From what I understand, this new refrigerant is supposed to be more environmentally friendly than R-134a.

Just like in 1992 when the switch was made from R-12 to R-134a.
    R-12 damaged the Ozone layer.
    R-134a is a greenhouse gas.
    R-1234yf apparently is relatively safe for the environment.
    Daimler is trying to prove that it's not safe. And they've been fighting the courts over it. And they're working on their own type of free. R744 I think it was.
    R1234 might not be around long if Daimler ever gets their way.

https://youtu.be/W-PvUouMrH4

Daimler is trying to prove that it's not safe. And they've been fighting the courts over it. And they're working on their own type of free. R744 I think it was.

https://youtu.be/W-PvUouMrH4

R-744 is simply CO2 or carbon dioxide. It would be very safe from an environmental and flammability stand point. It appears it's downfall, especially in automotive will be the very high operating pressure it requires to work. The components would have to be much heavier built and thus far more costly to build. It is also very inefficient in hot climates.
    It would also, consume more fuel I would think to pump at that higher pressure.

R-1234yf is classified as "mildly flammable", but seems not to be a significant risk under most circumstances.

There are some experimentation out that to mix other gasses/refrigerants with R-1234yf to reduce it's flammability further and still meet environmental regulations on greenhouse gas content.
    2018 Cruze Turbo Diesel 1.6L 9T50 LT
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel 2.0L AF40-6
    (Sold) 38.2MPG DIC Lifetime Average

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4th Gear
    There are low and high side service/diagnostic ports on every automotive AC system I am aware of.

Drag Racing Champion
    I'll have to figure it out as time goes on.

For now. He's just gonna have to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer or deal with crappy ac.

It's too expensive for us individuals to buy for just one vehicle at the moment. Freon alone is $700 for 10 lbs if it can be found anywhere locally.

Although Walmart appears to have 8 oz. Cans for $47. Plus shipping. Still need manifold gauges though and an adapter.
    Last edited by snowwy66; 05-06-2019 at 01:04 AM.

4th Gear

For now. He's just gonna have to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer or deal with crappy ac.

It's too expensive for us individuals to buy for just one vehicle at the moment. Freon alone is $700 for 10 lbs if it can be found anywhere locally.

Although Walmart appears to have 8 oz. Cans for $47. Plus shipping. Still need manifold gauges though and an adapter.
    Unless you've got an EPA 609(or similar) certificate you can't legally buy a 10lb bullet. I'd be very weary of any seller offering 1234 and not requiring a cert number. It's likely to be recycled at best, and potentially contaminated or empty at worst.

Touring Champion
    They're just trying to say it isn't safe (it is) so they can sell theirs.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Drag Racing Champion
    1234 is a flammable.

134 and 744 are not.

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma v e n View Post

Unless you've got an EPA 609(or similar) certificate you can't legally buy a 10lb bullet. I'd be very weary of any seller offering 1234 and not requiring a cert number. It's likely to be recycled at best, and potentially contaminated or empty at worst.
    Since I buy the 30 lb. cylinders.

Logic would dictate I'm RE-certified. 🙂
    Last edited by snowwy66; 05-06-2019 at 10:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)