Ford GM Merger?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChevyGuy

Thread: Ford GM Merger?

ChevyGuy is online now [OP]
    Group B Rally Champion

Ford GM Merger?

Ford Authority:Analyst Claims Ford-GM Merger Is A Possibility

"24/7Wallst reckons that GM has a future as a stand-alone car company over the next decade, but Ford doesn’t. It bases this on the market cap of Ford declining 42 percent over the last five years, while GM is close to flat. A merger would also make it easier for Ford and GM to compete against the other big mergers like FCA and Renault as well as against Toyota and VW. A Ford and GM merger sounds unlikely to us, but stranger things have happened."
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Administrator

Personally I don't think GM has much of a chance either. Corporations that don't grow inevitably fail.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Super Moderator

Never happen unless laws are re-written relative to monopolies.

Rob

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Never happen unless laws are re-written relative to monopolies.

Rob
    But it's an international market. I don't know if regulators would get involved since Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, and many other makers are here, with Chinese firms on the horizon too.

Super Moderator

This (my monopoly thoughts) are why Fiat had to keep the Chrysler name.....hence, Fiat-Chrysler.....as explained to me.

As it was explained to me, had the Chrysler name been dropped, Ford and GM would become sub-monopolies and a whole boatload of weird restrictions would come into play.
    For that merger to occur, Fiat had to become a equal partner with Chrysler.

I don't profess to understand all the legal mumbo jumbo....just repeating as presented (short version) to me.

Rob

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    This (my monopoly thoughts) are why Fiat had to keep the Chrysler name.....hence, Fiat-Chrysler.....as explained to me.
    Now called FCA US, so the Chrysler name is gone from the company, although they still have a product line of that name.

I'm sure a merger would attract the attention of the anti-trust folks, but it's hard to claim there's no competition in the automotive products for consumers.

I couldn't find any details about the name change as part of the merger, but it does seem like the US Government was part of the restructuring. So the Chrysler name may have had to be kept for political reasons for them to play along. Getting them to loan $8B to "Fiat" would be a tough sell.

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Personally I don't think GM has much of a chance either. Corporations that don't grow inevitably fail.
    My impression is that the automotive market isn't expanding - at least by much. And the future suggests it will shrink. GM is at least positioned for the change. Ford, apparently, is not.

Something to consider, if Ford dies, I think someone will pick up the Mustang and F-series in an asset sale. Who? Whoever it is, is likely to create a challenge for GM.
    obermd likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    My impression is that the automotive market isn't expanding - at least by much. And the future suggests it will shrink.

And what shows up in my news feed, an article that suggest we're past "peak car".

This Is What Peak Car Looks Like

Keep in mind, they're talking about cities. Suburbs and rural are a different story.

The killer of course is if fully autonomous cars happen. Without driver labor, ride sharing will become cheap. Probably much cheaper than owning a car.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

Touring Champion
    Now called FCA US, so the Chrysler name is gone from the company, although they still have a product line of that name.
    And FCA stands for...Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. FCA is just the abbreviation, the Chrysler name is still there.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
    And FCA stands for...Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. FCA is just the abbreviation, the Chrysler name is still there.
    Yes, that's what it stands for, but its legal name is FCA US LLC. As such, I'm not sure "abbreviation" is the correct term for it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/16/...-llc-official/
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:

Touring Champion
    Yes, that's what it stands for, but its legal name is FCA US LLC. As such, I'm not sure "abbreviation" is the correct term for it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/16/...-llc-official/
    "Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V., often abbreviated as FCA, is an Italian-American multinational corporation and is the world’s eighth largest automaker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Chrysler_Automobiles

FCA LLC is the US subsidiary (formerly Chrysler Group LLC), FCA Italy is the European one (formerly Fiat Group Automobiles SpA) - but "Fiat Chrysler Automobiles" is in the logo, because that is the overall actual name: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V.

Last edited by MP81; 06-04-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)