Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

77.5 MPG Forum Challenge!

30K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  jeffreyc 
#1 ·
I thought it might be fun to see who can get the highest MPG on the 25 Mile loop. I didn't do anything crazy - I was on the PA turnpike. Never dropped below 58 MPH. Drafted a van driving 62 for a few miles and coasted whenever possible. I could not believe I was able to hit 77.5 MPG! I have verified the car's computer via manual calculation numerous times and find it to actually be pessimistic. So, let's see your best numbers! Vehicle Car Speedometer Odometer Auto part

See less See more
#4 ·
Need to do a full tank thing. Anyone can get 77 MPG going down a hill with a tailwind.

I'm not throwing a shot at your credibility, just saying to make this kind of challenge accurate it needs to be like 500 miles or something.

Also, the PA Turnpike and NYS Thruway are not fair. They have superior grading (maximum of 3%) and road surfacing for higher fuel economy numbers. I've never averaged under 35 MPG on the NYS Thruway going 70 mph in my 2011 Automatic. The road is just that smooth (try to hear tires hitting the road.. you wont)!

#5 ·
My numbers aren't quire as impressive on the 500 mile loop, but I have never driven 500 contiguous highway miles. On the 50 mile loop I got 61, but I had a bunch of uphill to balance out the downhill. Still, I am wondering if someone can post 100? I don't care if it's downhill with a tailwind :)

#7 ·
I have found that exceeding 50 on the highway is the norm, and I have noticed the numbers improve now that the engine is well on its way to being broken in.

#8 ·
I have 4k on ours and with the Cruise set at 78 we average 43-44mpg on the DIC over 275 Miles with an AVG speed of 73. Ours seems to be a little picky to get in the 50's I have to go about 62-65 mph to get in the 50's Hopefully when she loosens up a little it will get better, but for the lifetime of the car were sitting right at 43 MPG over 4500 miles.

#9 ·
I filled up today after 506 miles. Here are the numbers I received:

First Click off of the Pump: 52.9 MPG
DIC: 51.3 MPG
Final Pump Fill: 49.5 MPG

If I had filled my previous tank all the way up I would have been close to, if not over 700 miles on a gas burner, even at the "final fill" number. I'd love to see some of the diesel drivers reporting back 800 mile tanks since your highway range is officially 718 miles.

#11 ·
Hey all, now that we have some new people on the forum, I wanted to see if there were any takers for my 25 mile challenge?

#17 ·
My best is 50 MPG, but in always trying to beat it.
It took me a minute to realize that you had an Eco, because I was going to marvel that someone had more miles than me lol

#15 ·
airbornedave - the 2012 ECO cannot show anything above 50.0 on that display. To see numbers above 50 you need to switch the car to metric and then use 235.2/(L/100km) = MPG.

#25 ·
Actually, I have verified several times that mine is slightly pessimistic.

#23 ·
After a fill up a good 25 or 31 mile score is important because it's the start of a fresh tank.. I like to try and keep the 31 mile score in the mid 50's or 60's.. If you can do that the other 2 scores will take care of themselves.. A few bad 25 mile scores will pull your average down before you know it

#24 ·
Very, very true. I have discovered that if my first 100 miles on a tank are low the entire tank will be low. I think the first 25 miles are critical for tank to tank fuel economy. Many people don't realize they accelerate harder when their gas tank is full.

#27 ·
I suspect it's psychological. My son says he never fills his tank full because he's discovered that he accelerates harder and stops harder for the top quarter of the tank.

#28 ·
OK - here are the numbers for my 2012 ECO MT. All are above 50 MPG on the game display so I had to convert from L/100KM.

25 miles (3.0 L/100KM) => 78.4 MPG
50 miles (3.5 L/100KM) => 67.2 MPG
500 miles (4.4 L/100KM) => 53.5 MPG

I have discovered that my game display, unlike the Trip odometers, is very close to pump measurements.

#29 ·
What did your 25 and 50 mile loop consist of?

#34 ·
I never saw your post with pics - you have a link?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.