Average city economy?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By froyofanatic
  • 1 Post By MP81
  • 1 Post By Farmerboy
  • 1 Post By TDCruze
  • 1 Post By froyofanatic

Thread: Average city economy?

Driver's Ed

Average city economy?

So I've seen several threads about excellent highway economy from the diesel Cruze's but I'm wondering what most drivers who do a majority of city driving are seeing in mileage? The '27' number is a bit concerning when other TDI models don't dip that much in the city so I'm wondering if its overly conservative (didnt they change the calculations anyway?) or if the car's mileage dips that badly in heavy traffic?

My commute to work is 18 miles- half city and half interstate going 70mph. This would be 80% of the car's mileage and I am wondering if the diesel Cruze is my best option. Coming from my Jetta, I'm already very partial to diesels but want to be objective about at least averaging mid to high 30s out of my work commute which is half stop light to stop light and half lead foot past slower drivers once I'm on the interstate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released froyofanatic's Avatar
    Nah my city number is pretty low but the highway number is **** high. The car runs a ton of turbo boost (27psi) so once you dip into the boost the mpg drops quickly. I'm still at ~40 overall despite a ton of hill driving.
    Rivergoer likes this.

Touring Champion
    Ours sees basically 95-100% city on a regular basis and gets mid-low 30s, in winter, using the remote start for a considerable amount of time, with my lead-footed wife driving.

I'm really not quite sure how they got the 27 number, to be honest. The worst number we've ever had was 28.6 MPG, back in February and was a tank where we had some extremely cold temps (below zero, ambient, in the mornings), one drive in some heavy snow and ~103 minutes of remote start usage.

With your mix, you should see high 30's, low 40's easy, especially if you aren't constantly burying the throttle.
    Rivergoer likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion
    ^^^^^Same here.

Around town and in traffic, my Gen 1 Cruze Turbo Diesel does far worse than my previous 09 TDI. On the other hand my Cruze consistently gets +10% better (than TDI) on the open highway.

With your 50/50 driving mix you could expect high 30’s with occasional low 40’s depending on conditions.

If you were to do 100% city driving in the Gen 1 CTD you’d potentially see a low 30’s tank.

To achieve the ‘27’ number mentioned I suspect you’d have to drive it like you stole it between every stop sign and traffic light...AND like @MP81 said...with winter fuel in high winds and nasty low temps with lots of cold remote start idling.
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

Quote Originally Posted by froyofanatic View Post
    The car runs a ton of turbo boost (27psi)
    Read the post carefully, nothing said about 27 mpg but 27 psi boost.
    Rivergoer likes this.
    '17 Cruze Hatchback 6 AT in Graphite Metallic
    '12 Cruze Eco 6MT traded with 148,000 mi. and A/C compressor and turbo gone

Off-Road Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerboy View Post
    Read the post carefully, nothing said about 27 mpg but 27 psi boost.
    True about Post #2.

I’m curious where @JettatoCruze read about CTD mileage dipping to “The ‘27’ number”? (Post #1)
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

EPA fuel mileage rating for the Gen 1 CTD is 27 city 44 highway. Guessing that is where the '27' number is coming from.

I didn't do a lot of only city driving with mine, but it was never anywhere near 40 MPG in the city. Usually low 30's.
    Heck I only did low 40's on the highway in mine most days, but I typically have far from ideal conditions for good highway MPG.

Depending on traffic and number of stop's. If you can keep the car rolling along it helps. Stop and go is the worst for any vehicle.

As long as it gets some highway time, you should not have to worry about DPF issues. It needs to get heated up to burn off good.
    Also, there is a delete kit for the Gen 1 if that is a concern.

I will say the Gen 2 is definitely better on both highway and city MPG. EPA rated at 31 city and 47 highway.
    Stop and go is still hard on fuel, but keeping the car at a roll the 9 speed keeps the RPM's super low and mileage is quite good.
    Rivergoer likes this.
    2018 Cruze Turbo Diesel 1.6L 9T50 LT
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel 2.0L AF40-6
    (Sold) 38.2MPG DIC Lifetime Average

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Handbrake Released froyofanatic's Avatar
    Edit: sorry, I didn't realize this was a gen1 discussion thread

The Gen 2 runs 27psi of boost AND gets 27city.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...our-salvation/
    Last edited by froyofanatic; 03-17-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    Rivergoer likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)