2014 CTD Error Code P21DD Emission Reductant Tank Heating System (urea) - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: 2014 CTD Error Code P21DD Emission Reductant Tank Heating System (urea)

Retired Moderator

I wonder what that reservoir assembly is, since it's not shaped like the tank. It looks more like a canister.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 202K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 7K (Gordon), 2004 Mercedes S430 4Matic 187K (Kevin) - Going to be the daily grinder for now, but I still love my Cruze!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Reverend Red Bull
    From the diagram, it looks like it installs into the DEF tank the same way a fuel pump assembly would install through the top of a fuel tank. My guess would be that this canister drops into the tank and serves as the place from which the pump draws the fluid. In winter, the canister could contain liquid DEF while rest of the tank outside the reservoir is frozen, and the heater would thaw the DEF near the canister, which would flow in and provide enough fluid to keep DEF available in sub-12 degree temps when the DEF freezes. This would also explain why we might see strange DEF readings in those temps if the level sensor was part of or inside of that reservoir.
    diesel and KpaxFAQ like this.

cmsdock is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    received the part in the mail will be posting photos later on today. But yes it is a canister like shape. I might be able to do this swap but ill have to look at the instructions.
    diesel and KpaxFAQ like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    Hi all,

Just threw my first CEL, a P21DD code at 67K. I have reviewed the existing posts. I have a scheduled dealer maintenance for this Friday, 6/12. I did pay extra when I bought the car for the extended warranty. Can anyone identify which warranty covers the DEF system?

Not sure what I wrong with the DEF system, if its the heater or a sensor. I will be clearing the code tomorrow.

Has anyone replaced the heater?

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by joshpjost View Post
    Hi all,

Just threw my first CEL, a P21DD code at 67K. I have reviewed the existing posts. I have a scheduled dealer maintenance for this Friday, 6/12. I did pay extra when I bought the car for the extended warranty. Can anyone identify which warranty covers the DEF system?

Not sure what I wrong with the DEF system, if its the heater or a sensor. I will be clearing the code tomorrow.

Has anyone replaced the heater?
    Are you planning on clearing the code before you go to the dealer?
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 202K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 7K (Gordon), 2004 Mercedes S430 4Matic 187K (Kevin) - Going to be the daily grinder for now, but I still love my Cruze!!

Learning about my Cruze
    Yes sir. Curious to find out if it will reappear or if this was a rogue CEL.

Learning about my Cruze
    How would I find out if this type of repair is covered under warranty? is there a cross reference against part number and warranty available?

Learning about my Cruze
    Cleared the code this morning. CEL came back on in the afternoon.

Does the DEF system fall into the "emissions system" category for warranty? I hope not as it is not covered under my AWS platinum warranty... figures

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by joshpjost View Post
    Cleared the code this morning. CEL came back on in the afternoon.

Does the DEF system fall into the "emissions system" category for warranty? I hope not as it is not covered under my AWS platinum warranty... figures
    I don't have my owner's manual handy but I know it spells out the components that are covered.

Learning about my Cruze
    So, went to the dealer. They had to replace the redundant heater. Not covered under manufacturer's warranty, but it was covered under my extended warranty (third party). Just had to pay the $100 deductible.

no more than 2 hours after picking car up, CEL came on. Same code, P21DD.

Back to the shop.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)