2014 CTD Error Code P21DD Emission Reductant Tank Heating System (urea)
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: 2014 CTD Error Code P21DD Emission Reductant Tank Heating System (urea)

cmsdock is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released

2014 CTD Error Code P21DD Emission Reductant Tank Heating System (urea)

Hey everyone been a while since I have posted here. Well I'm up to 80k in mileage on my cruze and my check engine light just came on. Since currently I'm 100 miles away from home I felt I little choice but to pay 20 bucks for the onstar protection plan to see what could be up with my cruze. (i know i need to get a OBD reader) Anyways Onstar informed that the code the error code that was transmitted to them is a P21DD Emission Reductant Tank Heating System (urea). Which from what I have heard on means something is wrong with my emission system. Can anyone provide any more detail in this error. I assume that I'm going to have pay to have a sensor or something to that matter replaced. Thanks for any guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cmsdock View Post
    Hey everyone been a while since I have posted here. Well I'm up to 80k in mileage on my cruze and my check engine light just came on. Since currently I'm 100 miles away from home I felt I little choice but to pay 20 bucks for the onstar protection plan to see what could be up with my cruze. (i know i need to get a OBD reader) Anyways Onstar informed that the code the error code that was transmitted to them is a P21DD Emission Reductant Tank Heating System (urea). Which from what I have heard on means something is wrong with my emission system. Can anyone provide any more detail in this error. I assume that I'm going to have pay to have a sensor or something to that matter replaced. Thanks for any guys!
    Not the same car, but probably the same code. Looks like your DEF tank heater or something in that area

Error code P21DD - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 202K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 7K (Gordon), 2004 Mercedes S430 4Matic 187K (Kevin) - Going to be the daily grinder for now, but I still love my Cruze!!

cmsdock is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    wonderful. I got an appointment at the dealership next Thursday. I just realized I have the repair manual for the my car as well. Ill take a look at when i get home this morning for work.
    KpaxFAQ likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    And here I thought I put a lot of miles on a car every year! I'm impressed with 80K on a 2014 ... and I was freaking out at putting on 60K in 20 months. Best of luck and hopefully it'll be covered under factory warranty if it's emissions based. Other than that, how are you liking the Diesel version? I just can't bring myself to spend the extra $ on the TD version when the Eco gets nearly the same or better mpg ... but then again, I've yet to drive a TD Cruze
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an un-armed person" Hidden Content
    2018 Chevy Volt ... quickly climbing past 100 mpg on the way to 250+
    2017 Camaro SS Convertible Indy 500 Official Festival Car (#84 of 101)
    2005 GMC Envoy XL Denali

2013 Chevy Volt... 58 mpg Lifetime (170k miles)
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6MT w/twins @ 678 ponies & 718 lb/ft to the wheels! Hidden Content

cmsdock is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    I dont think i will go back to owning a gasoline car/truck again. I look forward to driving it everyday to work. Diesel has over 100k on his CTD. Is the emission system covered under warranty? I don't look much in to it and figured I would have to shelling out some for it anyways. The shop is also going to update the cars software to fix the sticky feeling from the steering wheel when driving on the highway. I thought that the steering column had to be replaced.

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by spaycace View Post
    And here I thought I put a lot of miles on a car every year! I'm impressed with 80K on a 2014 ... and I was freaking out at putting on 60K in 20 months. Best of luck and hopefully it'll be covered under factory warranty if it's emissions based. Other than that, how are you liking the Diesel version? I just can't bring myself to spend the extra $ on the TD version when the Eco gets nearly the same or better mpg ... but then again, I've yet to drive a TD Cruze
    I have 114K miles on my diesel Cruze and I can wholeheartedly say it's worth the money. It is an amazing cars in many ways that can't be expressed simply by the MPG. If you are interested, a few weeks ago I did a writeup on this forum on what it's like to drive 100K on a CTD.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 202K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 7K (Gordon), 2004 Mercedes S430 4Matic 187K (Kevin) - Going to be the daily grinder for now, but I still love my Cruze!!

cmsdock is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Dealer diagnostic said the sensor was bad and the whole DEF tank needed to be replaced. $430.00 to have the thing replaced with labor. Anyone on here think that sounds right? I'll get my estimate here in little bit.

Reverend Red Bull
    The tank assembly is relatively expensive, so the price doesn't sound too far out of bounds. However, once you pull the trunk floor, the tank is in plain sight and it should just be a matter of a couple screws, a hose clamp or two and un-plugging/re-plugging electrical connectors, so if you have any experience with car repair, or even if you've repaired a desktop computer in the past, you might consider a DIY tank replacement, once you've verified that it's not possible to source the sensor without buying the whole tank assembly.
    KpaxFAQ likes this.

Retired Moderator

Please keep us posted on the part numbers. I don't see a sensor listed separately.

DIESEL AFTERTREATMENT SYSTEM for 2014 Chevrolet Cruze (Diesel)

cmsdock is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    stopped at the dealership this morning and got the part number they ordered. its 22978800 or number 15 on the illustration. I ordered it from another gm parts supplier for 155 including shipping. Saved me $71.00. This might be something I can replace myself if need be and if not it the dealership said its $130.00 to install. Also I got a BlueDrive OB2 scan tool for $99.00 from amazon. I cleared the code and so far it hasn't come back on it being so warm out I assume the error code might not come back until the cooler temperatures come back.
    http://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Blu...ds=blue+driver

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)