OOPS - Destroyed fill plug on transmission - Page 5
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: OOPS - Destroyed fill plug on transmission

3rd Gear
    Another option, don't remove it at all... Let me explain. The VW DSG transmission does not have a fill plug. It has a snorkel drain plug arrangement similar to this transmission. To fill that transmission there is an adapter to push fluid in from the drain plug with snorkel, on this car that would be the small center fill level plug inside the larger drain plug. You could make a tool with tubing and do same. Then you would not need to deal with the fill plug ever. Just a thought. Hope it helps. Also the dremmel slot seems a good idea, but getting in there with even a dremmel would be difficult. Concur on concern for a weld that close to sensitive ECU, right next to battery.. that could be a serious problem.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    2x 2018 Cruze TD (1- Manual, 1- Auto), 2017 Cruze TD Auto, 2015 Cruze TD, 2009 Dodge Ram Cummins, former 2012 VW Jetta TDI

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    First thing I would try is to re jb weld another bit in there and use a breaker bar and apply slow, even force. As soon as I saw you say that you used an impact I knew it was going to blow that jb weld to pieces.

Jb welding a nut to the top of the plug will probably not work. That is a very small contact area compared to having the bit inside the jb weld and it will probably just twist the nut right off.

Now I can tell you, I've been a welder for a while now and if you can weld a nut to the top of that thing, it WILL come out. If you can't weld, you will have to take it to someone who can. They can turn the wire speed down and melt that thing solid to the plug and it will come out. I've done this hundreds of times. The problem here won't be the voltage as said before. Welders really don't run at very high voltages. The welder will probably be running around 20-22v to do this and as long as the ground is kept close and the battery is disconnected, you won't have any issues. If you wanted to be really safe you could unplug anything you see in the engine bay. The thing that would make me nervous about welding a nut to this plug is the heat. To get a nut welded on there solid enough to twist that plug out, it will get very hot. This would be my last option. It will work, but I would definitely use it as a last resort.
    Last edited by justin13703; 10-31-2016 at 09:22 PM.
    Chris Tobin and MRO1791 like this.

diesel is offline [OP]
    World Rally Champion

Thanks again for all the insight. I will keep y'all posted as I progress through all the drama. Body shop first, then DEF quality issue next. Then this one. When it rains, it pours, lol!
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 202K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 7K (Gordon), 2004 Mercedes S430 4Matic 187K (Kevin) - Going to be the daily grinder for now, but I still love my Cruze!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

BOOOOST!
    @diesel, Ouch! Sorry to hear. I've been away from the forum for quite awhile and came back to see this. I have flushed mine once more since I wrote the guide and I don't remember what size I used the second time, I just kept trying until I found the torx that fit snug. It was a bear to crack it loose the second time though and I specifically barely snugged it up the first time.

I usually copper never seize everything I touch but worry about any getting into the transmission so I avoided it.

Like others said JB Weld should work but no impact. Keep in mind if your car is outside in the lower temperatures at night it will take more time to fully cure. If it were me, I'd probably glue the bit right in there and use a pipe wrench on the socket extensions to bust it out if a regular ratchet isn't giving you enough torque.

Hope I didn't give out bad info on the size! Whatever I used was the proper fit and tight, unless I just made a typo on size.
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel

diesel is offline [OP]
    World Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by KpaxFAQ View Post
    @diesel, Ouch! Sorry to hear. I've been away from the forum for quite awhile and came back to see this. I have flushed mine once more since I wrote the guide and I don't remember what size I used the second time, I just kept trying until I found the torx that fit snug. It was a bear to crack it loose the second time though and I specifically barely snugged it up the first time.

I usually copper never seize everything I touch but worry about any getting into the transmission so I avoided it.

Like others said JB Weld should work but no impact. Keep in mind if your car is outside in the lower temperatures at night it will take more time to fully cure. If it were me, I'd probably glue the bit right in there and use a pipe wrench on the socket extensions to bust it out if a regular ratchet isn't giving you enough torque.

Hope I didn't give out bad info on the size! Whatever I used was the proper fit and tight, unless I just made a typo on size.
    Hey, yes it's been a while! Anyway, I have my car at the dealer now and I passed it off to them. Too frustrating for me. I just hope they don't knock dirt or something down in there. I think I'd be better off to maybe give it another whack. If they haven't started on it, I can probably tell them to hold off. Interesting your note about it being extra difficult to get out the second time.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 202K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 7K (Gordon), 2004 Mercedes S430 4Matic 187K (Kevin) - Going to be the daily grinder for now, but I still love my Cruze!!

diesel is offline [OP]
    World Rally Champion

I just had the dealer do this. Not sure how they got it out, but I got a nice shiny new plug in there!

Driver's Ed
    I recently did the 3 fills and 2 dumps to my transmission. What I can say is and what I think contributes to so many stripped fill plugs is, when you put an extension or 10 on to get the ratchet high enough to twist.... the torx bit is not in the head straight. The hole is actually drilled at an angle that is towards the firewall(leaning towards the rear of the car). What I did was put a swivel mid way up(halfway from fill plug to getting the ratchet out from behind the engine). I then had a friend hold the extension/swivel with a lean on it so the torx bit was square into the plug. It was quite the pull to bust it loose, but we got it

hopefully that makes sense and saves some people the headache.
    diesel and KpaxFAQ like this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - fleece deleted, pac module, 10" JL Sub
    2015 Sierra Denali Diesel - motorops delete, lowered 2", 20x9 Mavericks
    1972 Chevrolet Chevelle - 1000rwhp

diesel is offline [OP]
    World Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by lsone View Post
    I recently did the 3 fills and 2 dumps to my transmission. What I can say is and what I think contributes to so many stripped fill plugs is, when you put an extension or 10 on to get the ratchet high enough to twist.... the torx bit is not in the head straight. The hole is actually drilled at an angle that is towards the firewall(leaning towards the rear of the car). What I did was put a swivel mid way up(halfway from fill plug to getting the ratchet out from behind the engine). I then had a friend hold the extension/swivel with a lean on it so the torx bit was square into the plug. It was quite the pull to bust it loose, but we got it

hopefully that makes sense and saves some people the headache.
    What size bit did you use? Was it the factory fill plug?

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    what size bit did you use? Was it the factory fill plug?
    t55, factory plug. The oil that came out was brown. Looked like ****.

Amsoil signature ATF went in.
    diesel likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - fleece deleted, pac module, 10" JL Sub
    2015 Sierra Denali Diesel - motorops delete, lowered 2", 20x9 Mavericks
    1972 Chevrolet Chevelle - 1000rwhp

Learning about my Cruze
    How much tranny fluid does it take?

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast