Cruze Diesel DPF EGR SCR Delete Review and Thoughts
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Cruze Diesel DPF EGR SCR Delete Review and Thoughts

Driver's Ed

Cruze Diesel DPF EGR SCR Delete Review and Thoughts

14 Cruze TD. Hit 100k miles and decided i was sick and tired of taking the car back in to dealer for emissions related check engine lights. So i removed my dpf and egr, tuned the car with race tune from oz tuner. then i still didnt like the exhaust note, so i deleted the scr as well. overall performance is very good. its literally like a different car. the low rpm (1000 - 2100) remains about the same, but 2100rpm + has so much more power. i used to prefer manual slap shift when trying to get the most out of the car, but now i just leave it in drive and it takes off. if you pull out and just ease a little more than 1/4 throttle you are likely to chirp the tires. granted, its no race car, but that torque is unbelievable and its extremely fun to drive.

so here are some of the questions i had before i did my mod, to which i could find no answers at the time. also some info i think could be useful after my first 1500 miles with tune.

1. Does the Race tune get rid of the 124 MPH speed governor. - NO, it does not

2. Does the fuel economy get better? -NO, at least not for me. It could be just the winter fuel, but i have had SUBSTANTIAL loss of fuel economy. im lucky to average 35mph on highway at 55 mph cruise control. 25 mpg on country roads.

3. Do you have to physically remove the egr from the vehicle and install backing plate, or can you just unplug it. -I just unplugged mine, and with the tune, had no issues with drivability or cel.

4. Does the mod+tune get rid of the lag coming from a stop? - YES!! i hated that stupid huge lag that my cruze td had, come to a stop sign and hit the throttle and 2 seconds later you start moving. With this tune, there is barely any lag at all. you hit that throttle, youre moving.

5. Does the tune change any of the transmissions programming? - I believe it does, i have noticed a fair difference in the way the trans shits and behaves at times. All for the better, IMO. Also i do not have the delay/slamming into gear issue ive stated in previous threads.

Other Thoughts:

Forewarning...After the tune and complete straight pipe, this car puts off a hefty diesel exhaust smell. some people may not enjoy it, but i do!

The car seems to have its good and bad days. I dont quite understand it yet, but sometimes i get on the throttle and that car just GOES. Other times i get on the throttle and it still goes, but feels slightly hindered from what it did earlier that day. then later on itll be right back on track. nothing that is concerning to me as an 'issue,' just seems like it has its days.

The cars exhaust note sounds awesome, IMO. Its no where close to being "ridiculously loud," i feel its the perfect level. Its loud enough to make gear heads turn to see what's passing by, but not loud enough that you're "that guy" starting your car and driving thru the neighborhood at night.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them below. Id love to help with whatever i can. I made some videos of the delete and install as well as some driving and 0-80 videos. Check em out!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOUWpK7l01U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybsxR7r18sI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrmeJ-dXXgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKm4t4eP8eo&t=50s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X8ym9kXqDs&t=840s

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Thanks for the videos, there’s not many deleted sound clips/acceleration runs out there.

As far as the mileage, most people that do the delete report a drastic increase in mileage. Like easily 60+mpg averages on the highway. The fact that it never does a regen will save a huge amount of fuel. I would chalk it up to the fact that it’s winter and winter fuel affects fuel economy. You should be getting waaaay more than 35mpg on the highway in a deleted diesel.
    MRO1791 likes this.

Handbrake Released
    Great job, Thanks
    Hidden Content

2015 Chevy Cruze diesel
    2015 Chevy Malibu
    2012 Chevy Cruze LT
    2004 Pontiac Vibe

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    There’s a bump in mpg, but not huge. The big mpg numbers come more from how and where you drive than from the delete.

Learning about my Cruze
    Got 135K on my '14 CTD. I'll be doing the delete tune as soon as this winter is over! Thanks for this info.

Anyone in the northeast perform the delete tune? I'm located in Massachusetts

Driver's Ed
    Update on mpg...... i must have had a bad batch of fuel or something. because now i get 40-55 mpg average. and ive never been the type thats 'light on the throttle'

Learning about my Cruze
    Do you know if you can revert to factory standard firmware or is it irreversible after your flash it?

Handbrake Released
    When you put the new tune in it the first thing is to copy the stock tune and pull it out. All the sensors are used in the new down pipe so in theory everything should go back into its original location in the old hardware and work with the reloaded stock tune.

Personally I wouldn't want to drive a car that that had been done to considering how difficult they can be when everything is stock that seems like you're really asking for trouble.
    jakenkaiser likes this.

Driver's Ed
    Do these tunes come with a DEF delete also? I never see it mentioned at all. It was always part of the tuning when I did my Duramax.

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
    Do these tunes come with a DEF delete also? I never see it mentioned at all. It was always part of the tuning when I did my Duramax.
    Yes DPF/EGR/SCR/DEF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)