Broken exhaust leading to Particulate Sensor and NOx2 codes? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Broken exhaust leading to Particulate Sensor and NOx2 codes?

MP81 is offline [OP]
    Touring Champion
    Yeah, when she goes to work out, it's maybe an hour or so after work, so the car isn't too cold, thankfully. But going to/from work, it definitely gets up to temp just fine.

I have to imagine this all was caused from the exhaust being wide open and corroding the **** out of the sensors...because exhaust bolts rust and break in less than 4 years and less than 72k miles...probably broke around 65k if I were to guess when I started hearing what I thought was a heat shield.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion

Guess I need to look at the bolts and maybe replace with something more corriosion resistant proactively
    2018 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Premier RS 11k
    2003 Buick Park Avenue 80k
    2004 Ford F-150 Reg Cab, 4.2L 45k
    2005 Mercedes E320 CDI 190k

2015 Chevrolet Cruze CTD 71k traded
    2004 Cadillac Deville DHS 90k SOLD
    2002 Ford F-150 extended cab 4.6L 133k. SOLD

Handbrake Released
    Interesting. I had P11D7 for the rear NoX sensor but it never caused a countdown. Would just come up every time I reset the CEL. Ordered a new one off rock auto and installed myself ($600+ is highway robbery for that!). Really not hard at all, same procedure to get to the fuel filter.

Also had a failed PM sensor, was replaced under warranty. Also never caused a countdown.

Thankfully I proactively swapped out those flange studs or else I would probably be in the same boat!

If I am reading correctly, you haven t replaced the NoX sensor and you probably should if it was exposed to any number of contaminates. I would also disconnect battery, can't hurt and maybe there are store values the pcm is getting confused with..
    2014 Cruze TD - Stock.

1997 Camaro LT1 - 355/CC503/LTs/ORY/Corsa

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

MP81 is offline [OP]
    Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyDiesel View Post
    Guess I need to look at the bolts and maybe replace with something more corriosion resistant proactively
    Absolutely. I was planning on it, but I was too late, it seems.

But I had no idea it was even running open after the SCR - it literally was not any bit louder.

Quote Originally Posted by LulzT1 View Post
    Interesting. I had P11D7 for the rear NoX sensor but it never caused a countdown. Would just come up every time I reset the CEL. Ordered a new one off rock auto and installed myself ($600+ is highway robbery for that!). Really not hard at all, same procedure to get to the fuel filter.

Also had a failed PM sensor, was replaced under warranty. Also never caused a countdown.

Thankfully I proactively swapped out those flange studs or else I would probably be in the same boat!

If I am reading correctly, you haven t replaced the NoX sensor and you probably should if it was exposed to any number of contaminates. I would also disconnect battery, can't hurt and maybe there are store values the pcm is getting confused with..
    Yep - I didn't think the NOx2 could cause a countdown, but apparently I was incorrect...

Yeah, no way I'd pay $660 to have them do what I'm fully capable of doing - the only reason I was even considering it was in the interest of time. But they made the choice for me!
    Last edited by MP81; 02-15-2018 at 08:51 PM.
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

1st Gear
    Something caught my eye a few posts ago so I figured I’d say something about it, but absolutely do NOT install a delete tune and leave the DPF in there. The car will never regen on that tune and it will load your dpf up with soot and fully block it, destroy it, and make your car run like crap, if at all. If you are installing a delete tune, you absolutely have to do the work to remove the dpf with it. Which honestly if I was in your situation, would be something I would have done already lol.

MP81 is offline [OP]
    Touring Champion
    Yes, that is a good point - and thanks for the reminder about that.

The next time it does something emissions related that isn't covered will probably be delete time.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

yeah @diesel replaced his exhaust studs with SS

i did as well, and replaced the gasket while i was at it, wasnt sure id be able to salvage it or not, it was cheap anyways.
    Hidden Content

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 140,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 350,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 320,000 km

MP81 is offline [OP]
    Touring Champion
    Since they just replaced the gasket, I'm going to clamp the two flanges down, and replace the hardware with stainless. Should keep everything good there, as it'll maintain clamp load while the bolt is swapped.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

MP81 is offline [OP]
    Touring Champion
    The new NOx2 sensor is supposed to be delivered tomorrow (would be delivered today if it were not for that inconveniently timed holiday...).

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the old sensor out...assuming I can, and I swap the sensor, will the countdown go away on its own?

I don't have any means to do the "NOX Sensor Reset" I saw on the invoice, nor do I have to time to go to the dealer, maybe aside from Wednesday morning (before we go drive 4 hours) to have them do it...
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

MP81 is offline [OP]
    Touring Champion
    Any info on whether or not some kind of reset is required after replacing the sensor? Or should the countdown go away, right then and there?

I spent at least a solid hour beating on my 22mm wrench with a 1lb deadblow (so much for the coating on my 22mm, guess I'll need a free replacement ), to what appears to be absolutely no impact.

I PB Blasted it 3 or 4 times, and then one last time after I called it quits. I'm borrowing my buddy's bottle torch. Hopefully that'll loosen the two up and I can get that stupid thing out. Otherwise it looks like we're renting a car for the trip (my tags will not be here in time for the Volt, and they expire...tomorrow). Because this stupid prone-to-repeat-failure of a sensor is not covered under special coverage.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)