1 year after replacing my battery
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1 year after replacing my battery

sparkola is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze

1 year after replacing my battery

So I still had my old battery sitting on the garage floor since replacing it after it started to offer weak cranking amps when the Chicago winter weather set in last November. I've been watching some videos about restoring AGM batteries and saw that adding some distilled water to the slightly dried out cells and charging with a proper AGM charger it might bring back the battery. I purchased the latest Harbor freight 4amp digital battery charger, a gallon of distilled water and a Turkey baster to add the water. The charger went into a desulfation mode and after 2 days said the battery was charged. I hooked up my 100 amp load tester and what do ya know the battery took 10 successive load tests for 10 seconds each with a 10 second pause without ever dropping below the 800 CCA rating. ****! I could have saved myself the 200 bucks replacement cost of a new battery. They make the cell caps almost impossible to remove, but its worth the time to do it. I'm a little leary of how the active variable charging system treats the AGM battery and that a proper recharge from a proper battery charger and a slight topping off of water every now and again might help these batteries go a little longer.
    froyofanatic likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Nice, I never knew that, I thought they were sealed though and could be mounted upside down if thats what the owner wanted...?

sparkola is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    The caps are unscrewable with a screwdriver and a tool to tap on the screwdriver. When you look at how each plastic cap is manufactured it's clear that they made them so that they won't unscrew easily. Let's call it sort of tamper proof. Also I only added enough water to make the cells look moist. The point is not to turn this into a flooded battery but to return enough moisture to the cells to make them fully functional.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

sparkola is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    And yes because they are not flooded batteries they can be mounted in any direction

Super Moderator

Ahh, if the battery is sealed (all AGM batteries are sealed) then where did the electrolyte (water) go?
    froyofanatic likes this.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1996 Impala SS (21.5 years / 27,878 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

sparkola is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    The acid is still there. The water is gone. Sealed is a relative term. I imagine if it was truly sealed any time an overcharge would cause an explosion due to the rapidly expanding gases with no place to go. Anyway like I said I’ve only added enough water to rewet the cells as there is no free water to pour out after several charge/discharge cycles. Wish I would have done this last year. But now I’ve got a spare battery perhaps I can install it in my Argo 8x8 as a better power source for my winch and lights 😎

sparkola is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Come to think of it I have a survival knife that I bought when I was 12 (I’m 46 now) that has a fluid filled compass at the butt of the handle. That too is a “sealed” unit. The fluid disappeared decades ago so now the directional ball just bounces around in there dry.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sparkola View Post
    Come to think of it I have a survival knife that I bought when I was 12 (I’m 46 now) that has a fluid filled compass at the butt of the handle. That too is a “sealed” unit. The fluid disappeared decades ago so now the directional ball just bounces around in there dry.
    You do realize that a knife marketed to 12 year-olds in 1984 is not exactly built to the same design tolerances as an AGM battery assembled circa 2015 and intended to survive an automobile collision.
    IndyDiesel likes this.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1996 Impala SS (21.5 years / 27,878 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Handbrake Released froyofanatic's Avatar
    Interesting post. I just buy my batteries at CostCo as they come with a 3-year warranty. Killed my Avalanche battery on vacation...boom, free battery.

sparkola is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkola View Post
    You do realize that a knife marketed to 12 year-olds in 1984 is not exactly built to the same design tolerances as an AGM battery assembled circa 2015 and intended to survive an automobile collision.

LOL until two days ago the knife was still outperforming the battery 😜

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)