Oil Leak - Level Sensor?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Oil Leak - Level Sensor?

BDCCruze is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released

Oil Leak - Level Sensor?

I thought I read about this before here but I cannot find it.

Almost directly above the oil drain bolt, there is a C clip with a sensor plug in. Not sure what that is but looks like possibly a oil level sensor. It appears to be leaking from there, is that a known issue on these? Is it covered by the PT warranty? I cleaned everything off and will drive it to see if the oil comes back.

If I have to fix it myself, does the pan need to come down?

*EDIT*

I found this site showing the C Clip (#1) that I believe is leaking.

https://www.repairprocedures.com/ser...2_2346973.html
    Last edited by BDCCruze; 11-24-2018 at 03:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    Any oil leak I beleive is covered under the powertrain warranty.

FYI: That is an E-clip

Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Super Moderator

Yes, the pan comes down for replacement. The part includes the actual level sensor bolted to the pan bottom as well as the tube and connector you are referencing.
    Yes,it would be a powertrain covered repair.

Rob

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Reverend Red Bull
    I found this and posted a thread about it a year or so ago.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...l-drivers.html

I didn't feel like dropping the pan, so I just sprayed it off with brake cleaner and coated the area surrounding the sensor with RTV to seal off the leak. I've got the sensor sitting on the shelf if I ever feel like dropping the pan to replace it, but I went the past summer without ever working up the motivation. Maybe next summer.
    Last edited by revjpeterson; 11-27-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    BDCCruze likes this.

BDCCruze is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Checked it again today and it certainly is leaking. Going to take it in tomorrow. Only around 2k miles left on PT warranty

Quote Originally Posted by revjpeterson View Post
    I found this and posted a thread about it a year or so ago.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...l-drivers.html

I didn't feel like dropping the pan, so I just sprayed it off with brake cleaner and coated the area surrounding the sensor with RTV to seal off the leak. I've got the sensor sitting on the shelf if I ever feel like dropping the pan to replace it, but I went the past summer without ever working up the motivation. Maybe next summer.
    Yeah, that's the thread I was talking about. Did you ever check to see if it was a PT item?

What's interesting here is that the dealer had the pan dropped last year to fix a significant oil leak from the pan gasket failing, which was covered by PT. Based on your thread I always had it in the back of my mind that something with that sensor would go wrong due to fiddling with it when the pan came down. Kinda irritated they didn't replace the seal when they had the pan dropped.

In general, I'm getting really fed up with this car. I can see why they are going to stop making them. I've only owned it a bit over 2 years now and it's been in the shop at least 6 or 7 times for warranty work.
    Last edited by BDCCruze; 12-09-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Off-Road Champion
    @BDCCruze does your leak leave drops on the ground?

Every oil change, I’ve noticed oil down the side of the pan and sprayed aft, coating what I believe is the DEF metering injector ahead of the SCR. But I never have any oil actually leaking onto the driveway.

I’ve just been wiping everything clean each OCI and chalking it off as the “leaky Chevy” thing. I agree it’s frustrating, perhaps I’ll try Rev’s fix if it ever gets to messing up the pavement.
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

BDCCruze is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergoer View Post
    @BDCCruze does your leak leave drops on the ground?

Every oil change, I’ve noticed oil down the side of the pan and sprayed aft, coating what I believe is the DEF metering injector ahead of the SCR. But I never have any oil actually leaking onto the driveway.

I’ve just been wiping everything clean each OCI and chalking it off as the “leaky Chevy” thing. I agree it’s frustrating, perhaps I’ll try Rev’s fix if it ever gets to messing up the pavement.
    No, it's not dripping that bad. But there is oil droplets on the sensor and also on some of the bolts underneath it. I suspect most blows off as it's driving down the road. It is a slow drip for sure but I am surprised how much oil there is considering I've only put around 1k miles on it since I cleaned it.
    Rivergoer likes this.

BDCCruze is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    I received an update from the dealer. They said this sensor IS covered by power train warranty IF it is leaking bad enough to drip. If it is only seeping out, it is not considered a leak by GM and therefor not covered. The problem is because this sensor is mounted horizontally, it cannot drip, only drain down the pan.
    Rivergoer likes this.

Off-Road Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BDCCruze View Post
    I received an update from the dealer. They said this sensor IS covered by power train warranty IF it is leaking bad enough to drip. If it is only seeping out, it is not considered a leak by GM and therefor not covered. The problem is because this sensor is mounted horizontally, it cannot drip, only drain down the pan.
    Did they give you a quote on cost to fix it?

On a somewhat related note, I discovered the source of my oil leak today. All along I thought it was the oil sensor or perhaps the pan gasket.

Did the OZ ‘tune’ today, after removing the DPF it was obvious the oil was coming from the dipstick tube rubber grommet seal at the front of the engine (hidden behind the DPF).

F639102F-162A-4F3F-9AC9-A8FBF33DA12D.jpg E807FC64-3990-45DB-AB8E-A5FAEB80F6CB.jpg

Didn’t want to wait for the part so I cleaned it up and gooped on some Hi-Temp RTV. If the MacGyver fix fails, I’ll order the part and do it later.
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

BDCCruze is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    No, I didn't ask for a quote. I just bought some of that oil contact compatible RTV sealant and used that, as the Rev suggest. Cost about 6 bucks at wally world. Since I already had the oil pan gasket redone under warranty I was not going to pay to have it down again. Plus, I'm sure it would be very expensive.

One thing I noticed could be done on this is I think if you were to pull that E Clip down, you could bend the ears out just a smidge and clip that sensor back in to create more pressure on the seal. Might be worth to try if someone else has this problem.

I think what happens is because that sensor is plastic, it starts to get weak and probably pulls back a little, more pressure is needed to hold it in place.

If anyone else has to work on this, just remember to leave the sensor connected so that the internal piece doesn't drop into the oil pan.
    Last edited by BDCCruze; 12-16-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    revjpeterson and Rivergoer like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)