What Is Your Temperature Gauge Reading?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What Is Your Temperature Gauge Reading?

hodgisyj is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

What Is Your Temperature Gauge Reading?

Hi, just curious what people are seeing on their temperature gauge once warmed up and driving? Typically the needle should always be about 12:00 is the old school guideline. (or I guess 6:00 on these, right?) Mine seems to be stopping quite a bit short of that. about 8-7:00. (1/4 - 2/3) I want to get the most fuel economy I can out of this thing and I am worried that I am running cold. Diesels are most efficient (usually) at warmer temps. Also it seems to fluctuate quite a bit? Just wondered if these are cold blooded right from factory? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion
    My ‘14 Diesel always runs one mark to the left of center (cool side).

120F Arizona heat to 30F winter, always constant.
    boraz likes this.
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

World Rally Champion Eddy Cruze's Avatar
    My ‘14 Non Diesel always runs one mark to the left of center (cool side).

125F Cal/Ari/Nev heat to 30F winter, always constant.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Drag Racing Champion
    Get yourself a obd2 bluetooth plug and use the torque pro app to monitor temp to see what your running.

While some members already posted what their gauge shows. Not all gauges run at the middle position.

I've seen cars show lower or higher at standard operating temps.

Mine is always one mark left from center as well.
    2014 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel

Handbrake Released
    My gauge is also one click to the left. The temp on my scan gauge fluctuates between 188 & 215 once warmed up but the needle doesn't move.
    Hidden Content

2015 Chevy Cruze diesel
    2015 Chevy Malibu
    2012 Chevy Cruze LT
    2004 Pontiac Vibe

1st Gear
    What snowy and mkohan said. The temperature gauge is computer driven and doesn't give an accurate indication of actual engine temperature. It's basically and idiot light (not quite, but close). Just as they have said, mine runs on click to the cold side of center. It says in this position anwhere between 180F and 235F (the hotest mine has been). 225 is common on mine pulling I-70 over the Eisenhower, even in cooler weather. The only time mine moves off it's "normal" position is going downhill for a few miles, with the heater cranked up in cold weather. Then it will move towards the cold side. I've seen it drop to the 1\4 mark with coolant temperature around 145F in below zero weather. (The heater is pulling the heat out of the cooling system with the engine in fuel cut off). While I don't like this feature, it is very common anymore with car manufactures.
    2014 Cruze 2.0 Diesel

Hidden Content

hodgisyj is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Ok,,, thanks so much for the info. So it sounds like the needle is very inaccurate then? Cruzator you said that yours is reading just below center but actual temp is 180-235?! lol,,, I hope the fuel gauges are more accurate? That's terrifying! I do have an OBDII scanner and drove with the live data feature. The warmest the coolant temp got up to was 170. It warms up from a cold start quick enough, especially for a diesel. But to me it just doesn't seem to go hot enough to make max efficiency. Any ideas? It seems like I am running an old school cold thermostat. Also I watched the gauge again today,,, the needle moves by about 1/8 to 1/4 with throttle play. Is the temperature sending unit part of the thermostat housing? Or is it a seperate unit? thnx! hmm,,after reading this ,,,it almost sounds like I have a low coolant condition doesn't it? You would think it would trip a dash light if it were that low. Will check it tomorrow.
    Last edited by hodgisyj; 12-31-2018 at 12:40 AM.

1st Gear
    If you are only getting to 170 on the diesel, then you are running in the temperature where the gauge does move around due to being under temperature. Running that cool, I can see the gauge moving up and down with engine loads. My thermostat typically opens at 195 -197. It is very obvious on my CTS hooked to the OBDII, but not at all on the temp gauge. Occasionally the initial opening of the trip will be higher, but then it is very consistent. Mine will never run under 193, unless it is from going down hill, with the heater on in cold weather. IF you are only getting to 170, my guess is you have a thermostat issue and it should be replaced.

As far as the fuel gauge, it is ok. It does hit 0% on the OBDII scanner, (and empty of the gauge) when there is (from what I believe) a gallon to a gallon left. I am fine with that, as I do not want to run out, hoever, it does cause my displayed fuel mileage to be 2 to 4 MPG lower than actual calculated. I know there are other people on here that say there displayed fuel mileage is right on.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgisyj View Post
    Ok,,, thanks so much for the info. So it sounds like the needle is very inaccurate then? Cruzator you said that yours is reading just below center but actual temp is 180-235?! lol,,, I hope the fuel gauges are more accurate? That's terrifying! I do have an OBDII scanner and drove with the live data feature. The warmest the coolant temp got up to was 170. It warms up from a cold start quick enough, especially for a diesel. But to me it just doesn't seem to go hot enough to make max efficiency. Any ideas? It seems like I am running an old school cold thermostat. Also I watched the gauge again today,,, the needle moves by about 1/8 to 1/4 with throttle play. Is the temperature sending unit part of the thermostat housing? Or is it a seperate unit? thnx! hmm,,after reading this ,,,it almost sounds like I have a low coolant condition doesn't it? You would think it would trip a dash light if it were that low. Will check it tomorrow.
    Last edited by Cruzator; 12-31-2018 at 05:13 PM.
    2014 Cruze 2.0 Diesel

Hidden Content

1st Gear
    I looked on Rock Auto. OEM thermostat is supposed to start opening at 192. Sender is sold separate of any housing. Just clarification. You do have a 2.0 diesel, correct? I believe the 1.4 turbo gasoline engine has a computer controlled thermostat that comes with the housing.
    2014 Cruze 2.0 Diesel

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)