Special Coverage #14311: Negative Battery Cable - Page 24
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Special Coverage #14311: Negative Battery Cable

Driver's Ed
    I recently purchased a 2015 Cruze sedan with 50,000 miles and I experienced the same symptoms described in this post. My VIN wasn't covered under this recall so I simply purchased the cable and bolt online and changed them myself. It only took about 5 minutes and it solved the problem. Apparently, there are more cars affected by this problem than they are willing to acknowledge.
    Rivergoer likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjones3109 View Post
    I recently purchased a 2015 Cruze sedan with 50,000 miles and I experienced the same symptoms described in this post. My VIN wasn't covered under this recall so I simply purchased the cable and bolt online and changed them myself. It only took about 5 minutes and it solved the problem. Apparently, there are more cars affected by this problem than they are willing to acknowledge.
    Good to know.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Driver's Ed
    check all fuses

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    My 2014 Cruze diesel (93k miles) just started having some of the electrical issues that are described early in this thread. I have no problem changing the negative battery cable myself. Thank you all for your hard work on figuring this issue out. Could someone provide the part number that I should order? Thanks in advance.
    Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by 89stingray454 View Post
    My 2014 Cruze diesel (93k miles) just started having some of the electrical issues that are described early in this thread. I have no problem changing the negative battery cable myself. Thank you all for your hard work on figuring this issue out. Could someone provide the part number that I should order? Thanks in advance.
    Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You should still be under warranty for this. However, I replaced mine at my expense because every time the issue happened I couldn't reproduce it at the dealer. The $25 it cost me was cheaper than the fuel to drive back and forth each time I tried to have them look at it.

2014 CTD I bought part #22754271 Runs about $20 online. You'll also need bolt #11561025 to connect the RVC negative cable to the terminal clamp (#3 in step 18 in link). However you could just buy the cable and take it to a local hardware store and find a bolt for 10 cents that would work.

Here is a link that gives a better description of the bulletin and the parts. And for me, I did not have to do any of the modifications listed. I just removed the old cable and replaced the new one using the existing hardware except for the new bolt. Just make sure you don't forget to run the cable through the plastic loop.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/1138/special-c...hevrolet-cruze
    Last edited by BDCCruze; 05-06-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    weimerrj and Rivergoer like this.

5th Gear
    If, like me, you have intermittent radio problems when starting - but everything else seems to work normally - this is likely the culprit. At least the RVC connection is. A temporary solution until you install the new cable is to remove the RVC cable, thoroughly clean the parts (eyelet, nut, and battery terminal) with a wire brush, and reinstall, firmly securing the nut. This seems to have corrected that problem.

I've also been experiencing a lack of dynamic alternator voltage. I believe this same RVC connection is the problem, as the BCM controls that. It seems to work better in the short time I've driven it (it got down to 13.6 volts) but I'll find out for sure Monday.

Also, the bolts required for the BCM on the new cable are M6-1.0 x 10mm flange bolts. About $1 for two at Home Depot.
    Rivergoer likes this.
    2012 Eco 6MT Blue Topaz Metallic (X2)
    2012 1LT RS 6MT Silver

5th Gear
    One more thing - if you have an instrument cluster backlighting LED that works intermittently, this might fix that problem too. My tach had a "bad" LED that dimmed the area around the "4". I haven't had that problem since replacing the ground cable.
    2012 Eco 6MT Blue Topaz Metallic (X2)
    2012 1LT RS 6MT Silver

10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)