Water Outlet Leak found at the end of the powertrain warranty
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Water Outlet Leak found at the end of the powertrain warranty

Farmer is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Water Outlet Leak found at the end of the powertrain warranty

The vehicle in question is a 2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4T w/ Manual Transmission - 100,068 miles

The water pump was fixed about 1week ago under warranty.

I noticed a small coolant leak coming from the water outlet soon after and took the vehicle to a local Tires plus garage to obtain a multi-point inspection specifically looking for oil and coolant leaks.

Tires plus documented the water outlet leak at 100,068 miles.

The vehicle was purchased @ 176 miles, so the powertrain warranty would be effective until 100,176.

It's the weekend now, and the vehicle will be over 100,176 by Monday, the earliest time to inquire about warranty coverage with a Chevy service department.

Anyone have insight on how the dealership will handle this?

I wouldn't be able to get an appointment until Thursday at the earliest.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

You exceed the mileage at your own peril.......it then becomes a 'Will the dealer make a request for warranty on your behaf'

There is no protocol.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    You exceed the mileage at your own peril.......it then becomes a 'Will the dealer make a request for warranty on your behaf'

There is no protocol.

Rob
    If you have a relationship with the dealer. A history of purchases, oil changes and other services - then your likelihood is good.

If you only made one purchase and no charge or warranty repairs your likelihood is low.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1996 Impala SS (21.5 years / 27,878 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

World Rally Champion Eddy Cruze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    The vehicle in question is a 2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4T w/ Manual Transmission - 100,068 miles

The water pump was fixed about 1week ago under warranty.

I noticed a small coolant leak coming from the water outlet soon after and took the vehicle to a local Tires plus garage to obtain a multi-point inspection specifically looking for oil and coolant leaks.

Tires plus documented the water outlet leak at 100,068 miles.

The vehicle was purchased @ 176 miles, so the powertrain warranty would be effective until 100,176.

It's the weekend now, and the vehicle will be over 100,176 by Monday, the earliest time to inquire about warranty coverage with a Chevy service department.

Anyone have insight on how the dealership will handle this?

I wouldn't be able to get an appointment until Thursday at the earliest.
    Clearly if you just had G.M. Water Pump work done under Warranty which I understand has been extended, the shop has to stand behind their work for a certain period of time. Assuming you have 'extra' mileage on your remaining warranty because the CRUZE wasn't sold with Zero miles is not how it works, although Service contracts purchased after the fact can extend your total miles using your exact example. The shop will probably charge you a diagnostic fee to inspect your car and either return it or apply it to non covered repairs if needed.

Banned

Repaired one problem created another, this story is getting way too old, gave up a long time ago taking my vehicles to a shop, not only do a terrible job, but charge you an arm and a leg. Any warranty work I had done on my Cruze, had to redo myself, because its me or my wife that would get stranded.

Also can't depend on one vehicle, your job and whole life depends on it, may think we live in a democracy but work for dictators, have to behave, dress, and be there where they want you to be, if not, you get canned.

Kind of shame they got away from neoprene hoses, brass, iron, and copper cooling system, plastic, aluminum, and O'rings, makes assembly easier for them, but we are sure paying the price.

Insurance companies are also against us, don't insure us, but the vehicles we own, using the argument I can only drive one at a time doesn't work, but ha, we will give you a 10% discount on your extra vehicles. We the people put up with this crap. We are the idiots.

In replacing the water pump, O'rings are disturbed already aged, brittle with 221*F temperatures, should have been replaced. But we are the idiots that purchased this crap, so have no one else to blame except ourselves.

Ten bolts hold this pump on with three different lengths, did they put the correct sized bolts in the right holes, can they even to this when pushed to death by the service manager? Did any of the bolt heads break off after 100K miles? What about cleaning off the old gasket?

GM actually wants eight bucks for an O'Ring? These cost less than a penny a piece! Put on well over 200K miles on several older GM vehicles with no water pump or coolant problems. Just saying at one time, they knew how to design a good system.
    jsusanka likes this.

Group B Rally Champion
    Where is the leak? if its the water outlet on the drivers side that leak has nothing to do with the waterpump work and would not be covered under the poiwertrain warranty anyway.

Administrator
    OP is correct that if his car had a recorded 176 miles at the time of first sale then the warranty extends to 100,176 miles.
    spacedout likes this.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    OP is correct that if his car had a recorded 176 miles at the time of first sale then the warranty extends to 100,176 miles.
    FWIW GM of Canada Limited starts all warranty at zero regardless of odometer reading at delivery.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:

Retired Fleet:

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    FWIW GM of Canada Limited starts all warranty at zero regardless of odometer reading at delivery.
    I'm actually surprised GM Canada hasn't been sued yet then for false advertising. If a car has been on the lot for a while and has racked up a few hundred miles of test drives that means the warranty isn't as long as claimed. In the US dealerships are required to report the mileage at initial sale to GM for addition to the warranty mileage.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    I'm actually surprised GM Canada hasn't been sued yet then for false advertising. If a car has been on the lot for a while and has racked up a few hundred miles of test drives that means the warranty isn't as long as claimed. In the US dealerships are required to report the mileage at initial sale to GM for addition to the warranty mileage.
    Canada tends to be a much less litigious society than the United States.

I've heard Canada described as America-light.

Although years ago I recall that GM Canada used to start warranties with the odometer reading on the in-service date. My 1999 was so. But my 2008 was not. So something changed between those dates. Probably a lawyer realizing that there was no legal requirement.
    obermd likes this.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:

Retired Fleet:

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now