Fuel pump problems in 2012 cruze - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Fuel pump problems in 2012 cruze

Driver's Ed

Bad design

Quote Originally Posted by littlelamb View Post
    I just had this happen to me on my 2012 cruze the check engine light came on and then I got 6 codes all indicating that the fuel pump has failed. The car only has 29k miles is not driven often and this seems like a defect to me because at such a low mileage for this to happen seems like it has defective parts. Mechanics
    I have spoken to have said that this should not happen at 29K miles
    The tank has a support, that is spring loaded and it comes loose. Gets under sending unit float and shows you still have fuel, when in fact, the tank is empty. This is a BAD design and GM should cover this, under warranty or recall.

Good luck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Holdenoak View Post
    The tank has a support, that is spring loaded and it comes loose. Gets under sending unit float and shows you still have fuel, when in fact, the tank is empty. This is a BAD design and GM should cover this, under warranty or recall.

Good luck!
    I have to disagree with this statement. If it was a bad design we would have a lot more threads about failed fuel pumps.

GM has indeed extended specific warranties for the Gen 1 Cruze, covering the 1.4T engine's water pump, electric steering unit, and the main wiring harness negative battery cable. They did this because these became known issues and the warranty extensions were there to ensure customer didn't have to shell out money for manufacturing defects.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Driver's Ed
    Obermd made a comment, that sounds good and is worded nicely. This is a problem and after doing research today, most guys are taking the baffle out and just replacing the pump module (w/ sending unit). And we found out, most aren't even noticing the loose plastic piece in the tank. They just replace the pump and sending unit, then ship it. According to our friends at GM, it is happening a lot. Explaining this to people who don't actually turn a wrench, can be challenging.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

World Rally Champion Eddy Cruze's Avatar
    Obermd made a comment, that sounds good and is worded nicely. This is a problem and after doing research today, most guys are taking the baffle out and just replacing the pump module (w/ sending unit). And we found out, most aren't even noticing the loose plastic piece in the tank. They just replace the pump and sending unit, then ship it. According to our friends at GM, it is happening a lot. Explaining this to people who don't actually turn a wrench, can be challenging.
    In the 8 years+ of CRUZETALK not one member reports a bad Fuel pump, well one member. Another below mentioned upgrading the pump and one member needed a fuel pump relay. Unbelievably if you do a search with the forum searchbox not a single post on the subject. Who are these G.M. friends of yours that claim its happening a lot?
    Last edited by Eddy Cruze; 05-31-2019 at 12:48 AM.
    obermd likes this.

Driver's Ed
    Seriously? That's how this thread started. Several comments about fuel pump failing, premature. Can't believe I'm actually commenting here...

Administrator

Seriously? That's how this thread started. Several comments about fuel pump failing, premature. Can't believe I'm actually commenting here...
    This thread started with two posts by the same member - the first post didn't provide the ODBII codes. This is the FIRST thread talking about a failed fuel pump in the Cruze.

I just did a search on Cruze fuel pump failures and came up with three not counting the one here. According to GM Authority there were over 1.5 million Gen 1 Cruzes sold in the US and Canada. Given these numbers I would have to say the fuel pump and tank internals in the Chevy Cruze do not contain a design flaw. Four out of 1.5 million is a failure rate of 0.00027%. Knowing that not all failures are reported to the NHTSA this is still a very, very small percentage.

You're making a claim not backed by the actual numbers. If you have other, specific documented data, post it.
    Blasirl likes this.
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)

Administrator

Then this would be a failure of repair shops to do the job correctly. We see this all the time where the repair shop screws up a repair and the owner then has another, related failure and blames GM and not the shop that didn't do the job right.

Driver's Ed
    You know what would be helpful....is if you actually had some advice for what I'm speaking of. Do you even have a clue, about these spring loaded baffles? And I just did another quick search and found 17 different people, reporting premature fuel pump failures. It's ok is you don't agree with me, that's your option. Being in the business, I see A LOT of bad info on these talk forums. I don't think you're wrong, just limited. And you are right, if a mechanic doesn't let the customer know, that is wrong. Problem is, this baffle could very easily move, when dropping tank and get missed. New sending unit and pump are installed, car is shipped! If you can't understand how that could happen, you've never turned a wrench. And the industry is filled with inexperienced mechanics or what people like to call "technicians", that are real good at a specific area but do not have mechanical ability.

I have to get back to work now. Have a peachy day!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

4th Gear
    You coming in and bumping dead threads with the same info more than once comes across weird....I don't believe it's a defect that requires a recall, and I don't believe it's as common as you believe it is on the Cruze.

I've seen plenty of the spring loaded tank baffles come loose. Really common on the R/V body SUVs. I have replaced maybe 3 fuel pumps on a Gen1 Cruze since 2010, and I've only had to replace one tank I'm that time...The car ran over a metal fuel can....Irony?

The codes listed in the beginning of thread can all be caused by corrosion in the engine control.module due to a leaking thermostat electrical connector. I've replaced more ECM and wiring harness for that issue than I have fuel pumps for any reason on Cruzes.

And with the exception of the P025A, I've never seen any in tank cause of those codes.(on any GM vehicle) It's usually the fuel pump control module, (chassis control module) which are notoriously **** across multiple GM vehicles from the time they came out(2007 or so) til probably 2016.

There's no TSBs or any other service information I'm aware of related to these codes and in tank baffling, or to those baffles coming out of place in the Cruze.(there is for the previously mentioned R/V trucks)
    obermd likes this.

Driver's Ed
    There you go, some actual information. Thank you. And as far as weird response, to several threads, I just learned what a thread is and not entirely sure how these forums work, as this is my first time responding to one... Usually just read a few and get a laugh, for the most part. But occasionally, I read something worth my time.

Thanks again for being so awesome!!

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)