Ac not blowing cold, fans not running at a low speed, cheapo ac gauge reads in “alert - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ac not blowing cold, fans not running at a low speed, cheapo ac gauge reads in “alert

Pezgoon is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Yes, the whole stupid assembly has to be replaced. GM thinks it saves money making the whole parts assemblies as one part code/assembly...until the customer has to replace them.

It was controlled by pressures even on my 2012. High speed kicks in when the high-side pressure skyrockets (either as a result of a bad TXV, low speeds NOT working (common), or an improperly charged system).
    Txv?

Which is what I’m seeing now, system should be properly charged and there was no low speed at all, just constant on/off which I’m assuming when AC is on it should be on low speed unless more is needed.

Now the high speed just bounces on and off because the pressure is hitting the upper limit. I’m gonna check the fan terminal tonight but I’ve got a strong feeling it’s bad.

It’s funny, ACDelco sells the fan and resistor on their own as one piece, too bad they didn’t make it separate or atleast an aftermarket company sell one that can be spliced in like advance auto has for the cadillacs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

TXV
    Expansion valve

Now the high speed just bounces on and off because the pressure is hitting the upper limit. I’m gonna check the fan terminal tonight but I’ve got a strong feeling it’s bad.
    Yeah; my suspicion is that you'll see nothing being output until the high speed kicks on.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Pezgoon is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    TXV
    Expansion valve

Yeah; my suspicion is that you'll see nothing being output until the high speed kicks on.
    Ah okay I figured it was the expansion valve but had a different name on this car.

Well it is just testing the fan side connector, apparently it has a fuse in the assembly and the fuse will blow causing the fan to only have high speed, so by testing the resistor if you don’t see resistance on all the wires then the fuse failed (or the resistor failed) open.

I could probably test the other way to check if the relays are good or not too (looking for voltage) will do some testing and will report back

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Drag Racing Champion
    There needs to be a rule where people post an actual number instead of saying YELLOW, Red, or Green or UPPER LIMIT.

Upper limit of what???? Color????

JS

:-)

Pezgoon is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    You Need to know what the high pressure is for sure but the 2 choices are weak compressor or overcharged.
    The fan should have 3 speeds. Low, medium (rarely used), and high sounds like a jet about to take off.

If it's going high-off-high, the fan resistors go out often on these cars.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    If either of you could verify this or anyone on the forums can it would be amazing

Trying to get it unplugged sucked, the ground wire to the right holds tension on the plug and I could pull the thing out of the shroud but was able to work the plug out of it but anyways.

This is the connector, the other side is male spades so it’s tough to test with a multimeter but can be done, I circled what the spots are in relation to what the male spades actually are. If anyone could double check there’s and see if they get the same result (as long as theirs works as it should) that would be amazing because I didn’t get what I was expecting!

Black is the ground, I believe blue is the high speed (since it’s the biggest and had lowest resistance) red I think is medium and green was open (0)

If someone could double check and verify if green is supposed to be open or not would be amazing but I suspect that could be my issue, it may be running on medium on and off and not high but again I had nothing on green and I’m almost positive I should see something from what I read

Any help/info would be amazing!

Ps! Just to reiterate, you have to test the SHROUD SIDE plug (which is upside down) NOT the purple plug! Thanks

Edit: blue I had 0.4 ohms and red I had 0.8 ohms again 0 on green (I just double checked) I know that doesn’t give scale but it works haha
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pezgoon; 07-07-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Pezgoon is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    There needs to be a rule where people post an actual number instead of saying YELLOW, Red, or Green or UPPER LIMIT.

Upper limit of what???? Color????

JS

:-)
    What are you referring to?

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezgoon View Post
    This isn't meant to be rude so don't take it as such.

Your gauge has numbers. But none of you post numbers. You all post colors or whatever that mean absolutely nothing. Because those colors are in a wide range and can be anything.
    In your first post you posted Yellow Alert. What does Yellow Alert mean?????? In your most recent post. You post Upper Limit. Again. What does Upper Limit mean?????

There are 2 ports on a ac system. Hi pressure and Low pressure. Which side are you checking???? That gives you yellow alert and upper limit????? And what's the range of that YELLOW ALERT OR UPPER LIMIT.

There are numbers on the gauges. And there are 2 gauges. That SHOULD be getting used.

I was at autozone today and took pics. I can honestly say that i wouldn't be using the colors for diagnosing. If the problem is minor.

You all will look at the green and say. OK. Ac looks good. So why isn't it working. Green has a range of 25 - 50. And people will argue with people trying to help.

25 - 30 isn't enough pressure to keep the compressor running. Although by today's standard. It probably will keep running. 38 - 50 is too much pressure. ON THE LOW SIDE. But hey. It's in the green. WELL, green goes way above and beyond the sweet spot for pressure.

Those of us that do ac on a routine basis. Don't use the cheap gauge and a can. We use professional gauges. And they don't come with colors. As noticed in the link.

https://www.harborfreight.com/ac-r13...set-62707.html

Basically, what I"m saying. Is your gauge comes with numbers. Numbers go a lot further in people trying to help you then saying YELLOW ALERT AND UPPER LIMIT. Numbers mean something. Colors and limits don't.

And for those of you needing the cheapest way to buy some gauges. You have the cheapo low side gauge. An obd2 bluetooth connector with torque app will give you the high side gauge.

As for your resistance question. Might start a new thread asking for resistance specs. Or look down the threads. The question has been asked and answered a few times for the gen1.
    I don't have that answer for you as I'm new to the cruze world and my car is new so I can't help you. @jblackburn . Do you know the resistance spec?
    Last edited by snowwy66; 07-07-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Pezgoon is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezgoon View Post
    This isn't meant to be rude so don't take it as such.

Your gauge has numbers. But none of you post numbers. You all post colors or whatever that mean absolutely nothing. Because those colors are in a wide range and can be anything.
    In your first post you posted Yellow Alert. What does Yellow Alert mean?????? In your most recent post. You post Upper Limit. Again. What does Upper Limit mean?????

There are 2 ports on a ac system. Hi pressure and Low pressure. Which side are you checking???? That gives you yellow alert and upper limit????? And what's the range of that YELLOW ALERT OR UPPER LIMIT.

There are numbers on the gauges. And there are 2 gauges. That SHOULD be getting used.

I was at autozone today and took pics. I can honestly say that i wouldn't be using the colors for diagnosing. If the problem is minor.

You all will look at the green and say. OK. Ac looks good. So why isn't it working. Green has a range of 25 - 50. And people will argue with people trying to help.

25 - 30 isn't enough pressure to keep the compressor running. Although by today's standard. It probably will keep running. 38 - 50 is too much pressure. ON THE LOW SIDE. But hey. It's in the green. WELL, green goes way above and beyond the sweet spot for pressure.

Those of us that do ac on a routine basis. Don't use the cheap gauge and a can. We use professional gauges. And they don't come with colors. As noticed in the link.

https://www.harborfreight.com/ac-r13...set-62707.html

Basically, what I"m saying. Is your gauge comes with numbers. Numbers go a lot further in people trying to help you then saying YELLOW ALERT AND UPPER LIMIT. Numbers mean something. Colors and limits don't.

And for those of you needing the cheapest way to buy some gauges. You have the cheapo low side gauge. An obd2 bluetooth connector with torque app will give you the high side gauge.

As for your resistance question. Might start a new thread asking for resistance specs. Or look down the threads. The question has been asked and answered a few times for the gen1.
    I don't have that answer for you as I'm new to the cruze world and my car is new so I can't help you. @jblackburn . Do you know the resistance spec?

Sorry haha the gauge I was using didn’t have numbers on it, second one I used did.

I actually ended up fixing it somehow?? I messed with all the relays by just pushing on them all and unplugging and replugging in the ones hat related to the cooling fan speeds. Not sure what did it but it works as it should now, pressure sits around 28 psi (green range was to 35 psi btw) so alittle on the low side I might throw some more in it.

I don’t deal with ac’s so I have no use for a better gauge than that, that is all low side stuff btw.

I do not know the resistance spec but will try and find it and will start a new thread if I can’t!
    snowwy66 likes this.

Drag Racing Champion
    I wouldn't use the low pressure as a gauge for determining charge. The high side is what you need to determine charge.

Reality is. You all are playing with fire without knowing what the high side reads. $10 for a obd2 connector and $5 for torque app is well worth the price of having to pay for repairs. And let's be realistic. This won't be the only time you play with your ac. There will be future cars. :-)

Glad you got it working.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

I wouldn't use the low pressure as a gauge for determining charge. The high side is what you need to determine charge.
    I second this - don't fill by low pressure side on one of these cars. You may inadvertently overfill.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)