2013 Chevy Cruze - 65k Miles - If you are thinking about buying a Chevy...
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 2013 Chevy Cruze - 65k Miles - If you are thinking about buying a Chevy...

Driver's Ed

Thumbs down 2013 Chevy Cruze - 65k Miles - If you are thinking about buying a Chevy...

tl;dr -
    My 5 year old Chevy Cruse w/ 65k highway miles and routine maintenance has a failing transmission, brake system and cooling system.
    Chevy essentially says to go fly a kite, you are on your on your own.

After trying all the Chevrolet channels, I have decided to air my grievances.

We have a blue 2013 Chevy Cruze Eco w/ just over 65k miles on it.
    All standard maintenance has been followed up to now.

To begin:
    In mid September, we got turn AC off, turn engine off, overheating messages from the car on the way to work.

Fill it with coolant at lunch (completely empty reservior).
    Within a day or 2, same problem pops up.

No Chevy dealership in Boulder (Boulder Valley Automotive Repair) so we took it to a mechanic that we could actually get the car to without overheating it.
    BVAR says that the thermostat and radiator hose are leaking. $500 repair.

Within a couple more days it becomes obvious that the car is still losing coolant.
    Take it back, more pressure tests and they conclude that the car isn't having any issues and drive it around for a day to watch the coolant level. No problems still.
    When they are driving it around they notice some problems that we had seen w/ the brakes just after the car starts up (tried to have diagnosed 1 year ago, dealer mechanics couldn't replicate the issue).
    Additionally he said that he felt the transmission had some slip and that we should check with the dealer for warranty related to both of these issues.

We get the car back, drive it for a week and watch the coolant drop below any visible level in the reservoir and have decided that the mechanic clearly was not capable of actually diagnosing the issue.
    So we brought it out to Century Chevrolet with the list that the other mechanic gave us as well as a description our recent experiences.
    Of course they charge us $200 to diagnose the vehicle and take 4 days to do it.

Century Chevrolet is nice enough to cover the warranty on the water pump (although they charge for the diagnosis and note no issues with the replacement "aftermarket" parts).
    Additionally, they claim that we should replace the transmission (a hair under $4k) and that the brakes don't work because a vacuum pump and switch are failed (note the previous inability to diagnose this exact thing, also $500).

We obviously don't have 4 grand today to put into a pretty new car, so we take the water pump repair and take it home to figure out whats next.
    Within less than a week, the car is again out of coolant so we prepare for our 4th trip to the shop for that issue.

After fixing the water pump, they do an overnight pressure test to see whats what.
    They claim that there was a little wiggle issue with the hose and believe that the car is good to go.
    Wiggling the hose was pro-bono (such a generous place).

Driving the 12 miles home, car makes it all the way.
    Pop the hood on return and there is an empty reservoir, coolant spraying out of some place near the reservoir/thermostat, as well as coolant all over the undercarriage of the vehicle.

Had to have the vehicle towed back to Century Chevrolet in Broomfield, now at the shop for the 5th time for coolant related issues.
    Century mechanics claim that the aftermarket parts used by the mechanics over at Boulder Valley Automotive Repair are to blame.

I gave the Chevy customer service channel a chance to right some wrongs, and the "Senior Advisor", Arneatha, took a week to call up on the case.
    At the end of the day, she says that there is no assistance due to the fact that we took it to a 3rd party mechanic using aftermarket (NAPA) parts.

They might consider assistance on the transmission but that we would have to pay for the teardown and diagnosis (again?) of the transmission.
    Still a good chance that after we teardown and diagnose the transmission, which will take forever and cost a lot, they still wouldn't help, so thanks Arneatha.
    And finally the brakes (which is a scary problem where the brake pedal can randomly go rock-hard and require a lot of force to press down and get and response), wouldn't be covered under power-train to begin with.
    Let me repeat that, Chevrolet does not cover the cars ability to stop under the vehicles warranty. Seems wrong to me, but w/e.
    Also, we tried to have that issue diagnosed under the powertrain 1 year previous and supposing they had found it then, they obviously still wouldn't have covered it.

At the end of the day, we have a car w/ 65k miles on in which needs about $4,700 worth of work done so that it stops normally, cools itself, and shifts correctly.

To anyone considering buying a Chevy, please reconsider.
    This is easily the worst vehicle experience I have ever dealt with.
    Dealership, car, mechanics, customer assistance. All absolutely failed here.

I will never purchase another vehicle from GM.

Thank you to all the people who made this possible:
    Boulder Valley Automotive Repair
    Century Chevrolet
    Arneatha, somewhere in Michigan with Chevy customer service.

You will all be getting my reviews on every medium I can find.
    Last edited by zschmifromCO; 10-24-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    ownerof2011cruze likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Lot of different people with a lot of different experiences, I've owned all GM vehicles my whole life and have had few issues in related to accidents or poor maintenance from previous owners.

My wife has owned all Japanese, and leased from new, and has had more issues. Which is not typical, however.

I preform all in covered repairs myself and have found the domestic vehicles are cheaper and easier to work on, maybe not as well thought out with some placement or design of parts though

I would not pay more for a Corolla/civic/Altima to then have to pay more to repair (maybe not as often, but you WILL need repairs)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    MP81 and gliderdriver like this.

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by zschmifromCO View Post
    To anyone considering buying a Chevy, please reconsider.
    Nope.

I have four and will keep buying them. I've previously had two others that have been wrecked (I'd still have either of them had they not met an unfortunate end), including a Cavalier with 258,000 miles that ripped a fire hydrant out of the ground and threw it five feat and **** near survived it.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Yeah, I get that.
    Very frustrating when you put it in GM certified mechanics hands and they keep handing you back a broken car though.
    Meanwhile the toyota 4runner with 175k on it shuttles us to and from the Chevy mechanics.

I think that the car is one thing, the awful service and refusal to stand by the car they made is another.

They are on their third attempt to repair a system that never should have failed in the first place- looks to me like people all over these forums have had issues with the cooling system.
    We have been lucky on 3 occasions not to be stranded outright by Chevrolet not recalling the vehicles and correcting the water pump issues.

I absolutely recognize that it would not be standard for an experience like mine.
    On the other hand, if it is so rare, the company should be trying to figure out what is wrong with the car they made and maybe attempt to rectify the issue.

Just know that if you do have problems, you are on your own.
    Last edited by zschmifromCO; 10-24-2018 at 02:21 PM.

2nd Gear
    sorry, but your poor choice in mechanic shops and lack of vehicle repair knowledge has no influence on me buying another Chevrolet vehicle, which I will First shop RAPED you on the $500 fix and chevy now has no reason to fix that for free. Good, used, transmissions go for a 5-600...have a good shop swap it or rebuild it elsewhere, simple.

Driver's Ed
    No one asked Chevy to fix anything for free.
    However they did tell me the problem was fixed twice. And the problem got worse each time they touched the vehicle.

We didn't know where the coolant was going when we gave them the car, but it was spraying all over the engine compartment by the time they were done with it.

Rip me all you want, a decent vehicle needs nothing but routine maintenance at this point in its life.
    A failing transmission at 65k should be important to somebody.

And it may not be relevant to you, but to someone thinking about buying a Chevy new, because they don't want to be dealing with a car that falls apart, it probably would be.
    Last edited by zschmifromCO; 10-24-2018 at 02:47 PM.

World Rally Champion Eddy Cruze's Avatar
    No one asked Chevy to fix anything for free.
    However they did tell me the problem was fixed twice. And the problem got worse each time they touched the vehicle.

We didn't know where the coolant was going when we gave them the car, but it was spraying all over the engine compartment by the time they were done with it.

Rip me all you want, a decent vehicle needs nothing but routine maintenance at this point in its life.
    A failing transmission at 65k should be important to somebody.
    Sorry for your problems but at this point I don't believe you are due any further remedy from G.M. once the factory warranty has run its course. All this stress and grief could have been lessened if you had insured yourself with a supplemental 3rd party Service Contract.
    Last edited by Eddy Cruze; 10-24-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Cruze View Post
    Sorry for your problems but at this point I don't believe you are due any further remedy from G.M. once the factory warranty has run its course. All this stress and grief could have been lessened if you had insured yourself with a supplemental 3rd party Service Contract.
    Thanks, yours is a reasonable reply.

Original point stays, a vehicle shouldn't need this type of work done at 65k.
    If they are all so decent and this car is an outlier, then they should have no problem helping out a customer that buys new cars from them, whose car is essentially totaled by the cost of their own recommended repairs.

Your brakes should work, your cooling system should work, and your transmission should work.
    This is the experience of someone who bought a car brand new from Chevy.

Thanks, yours is a reasonable reply.

Original point stays, a vehicle shouldn't need this type of work done at 65k.
    If they are all so decent and this car is an outlier, then they should have no problem helping out a customer that buys new cars from them, whose car is essentially totaled by the cost of their own recommended repairs.

Your brakes should work, your cooling system should work, and your transmission should work.
    This is the experience of someone who bought a car brand new from Chevy.
    They are all reasonable replies, nicely, I feel you're expectations are unreasonable for chevy. They will not stay in n business if they give everyone with complaints something for free. They make warranted information explicit, they do not know your vehicle, or what it's been through or maintenance it has missed on, so they cannot just "help out" a customer.

Your brakes need maintenance. Your coolant system needs maintenance, your transmission needs maintenance. So to your original point, you can only speak on your experience and because you're not happy that a particular shop you keep returning to (for some reason) cannot fix your particular car with your particular history, where more others feel very differently because of similar and different experiences, that does not mean one should not buy another chevy. There are consumers of every make and model that have had similar experiences to yours.

Eddy Cruze likes this.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_Country View Post
    They are all reasonable replies, nicely, I feel you're expectations are unreasonable for chevy. They will not stay in n business if they give everyone with complaints something for free. They make warranted information explicit, they do not know your vehicle, or what it's been through or maintenance it has missed on, so they cannot just "help out" a customer.

Your brakes need maintenance. Your coolant system needs maintenance, your transmission needs maintenance. So to your original point, you can only speak on your experience and because you're not happy that a particular shop you keep returning to (for some reason) cannot fix your particular car with your particular history, where more others feel very differently because of similar and different experiences, that does not mean one should not buy another chevy. There are consumers of every make and model that have had similar experiences to yours.

Yours also is reasonable.
    Although this is the second mechanic shop, not the first, and it is a Chevy dealership, which must be representative of the company.
    Additionally, it is the 3rd time it has been to this second mechanic/Chevy dealership in as many weeks.
    If the problem was so simple as some of the people who have replied think, wouldn't you think that any one of these "certified" mechanics would have figured it out?

Needing maintenance and outright failure are 2 very different things.
    Chevy didn't recommend I "maintain" my transmission, they call its condition severe and recommend "replacement".
    If when you talk about maintenance, you actually just mean that you should have to replace your transmission every 5 years, then sure.
    If your brakes failed on you in a parking lot, I assume you would have a different grasp on the problem.
    Chevy actually did have to recall the 2011 and 2012 because of the issue that my car is dealing with.
    Absolutely hazardous if you don't know its coming and the NHTSA clearly agrees with me on that one.
    https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...or-brake-issue

Once again, no one asked for anything for free and in fact, they do know the maintenance, that is all available through their own records.

Statistically speaking, this car has had far more issues than it should and I would assume that anyone who has an experience like mine would never go back to the brand in question.
    I should hope that my car is an extreme outlier.

I have had several other vehicles, of different makes and models, of varying ages and qualities.
    Not one has had issues like this one. Even with twice the miles, over far longer durations.
    karmatourer likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)