Poor gas mileage! - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Poor gas mileage!

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by caddy96sts View Post
    To the best of my knowledge it never received any sort of emissions update. Unless it was done during another service and not noted. I am cleaning the MAF. I ordered the upstream 02 sensor. Do you think they both would need to be done or is the upstream sensor the only one relevant to gas mileage (assuming no CEL)?

Is there a easy way to check for boost leaks? This is my first turbocharged vehicle.

Thank you!
    Usually just the upstream. The downstream has a small impact, but if it's not swinging around wildly, I'd leave it.
    @XtremeRevolution sells a boost leak tester he developed for these cars.
    XtremeRevolution likes this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Beyond my tire thoughts, the only other thing I've run across on various makes is a thermostat that is opening too soon at too low a temperature.
    The engine, even though operating in closed loop, will tend to run rich in response to the coolant temperature.

Naturally, you are there, I am here, and there is no reader information. I would hesitate to just pitch the O2 without watching its responses, and you will require a reader for that.....or maybe one of these deals where you use your phone to scan.

Rob

caddy96sts is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Beyond my tire thoughts, the only other thing I've run across on various makes is a thermostat that is opening too soon at too low a temperature.
    The engine, even though operating in closed loop, will tend to run rich in response to the coolant temperature.

Naturally, you are there, I am here, and there is no reader information. I would hesitate to just pitch the O2 without watching its responses, and you will require a reader for that.....or maybe one of these deals where you use your phone to scan.

Rob
    I have the Bluetooth OBDII module with the Torque app. It has the vehicle running what I consider to be very hot, but apparently within the normal range for these engines... 215-225*. I can check out the app to see about O2 readouts but I wouldn't really know what I'm looking at anyway.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    I ordered a new upstream sensor. Would it be ok to just do that one for now to see if it helps? Or would I need to do the downstream as well? I understand the relationship between the two.

The second item you mention regarding the pin hole... I have no idea what you are referring to... is there a tutorial on this somewhere?
    Upstream is what controls air/fuel ratio.

Here is a link to one thread at Cruzetalk about the wastegate pivot pin and it has a link to a youtube video as well.
    https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-g...clearance.html

Driver's Ed
    So after about a week of driving with a new upstream o2 and cleaned MAF, I have noticed no changes in gas mileage or performance. I am looking into the boost leak kits now. Does anyone have any perspective on how often these leaks are being found?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Clean sensors, maybe replace O2 sensors (relatively cheap on these), and check for BOOST LEAKS - these are becoming pretty common as these things age. Especially around the throttle body hose.

Did this car ever have the emissions ECM update performed? That caused a fairly significant drop in mileage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The ECO MT never had the ECM update. It was limited to the automatics.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Administrator

I have the Bluetooth OBDII module with the Torque app. It has the vehicle running what I consider to be very hot, but apparently within the normal range for these engines... 215-225*. I can check out the app to see about O2 readouts but I wouldn't really know what I'm looking at anyway.
    Temperatures are normal for this car.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    The ECO MT never had the ECM update. It was limited to the automatics.
    Coulda sworn there was one for the later year manual transmission 1.4T's as well. Jerry Lewis mentioned something about it and his later Eco not getting the same gas mileage as an earlier one he had, but don't know if he has an account here.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    So I just used Xtreme's boost leak kit, which is awesome and dead simple btw. Immediately found a leak at the throttle body connection, which seems to be mostly if not entirely gone by increasing the torque on the hose clamp. However, I found another leak at what seems to be the valve cover. On the top / middle area of the valve cover between the two bolts there is a little bump out (see pics). If I place firm pressure with my hand right on that bump area it stops the hissing. I also see some oil residue down in the gasket area. Is this something I need to address? Can I try increasing the torque on the bolts, or do I need a new gasket, or valve cover?

Thank you!

Attachment 27102920190506_140042.jpg

Retired Moderator CHEVYCRUZE RS's Avatar
    Check or replace both o2 sensors ( up and downstream ) and clean
    your MAF sensor + intake manifold if you really wanna do it right, if you still have a problem then it’s something deeper unfortunately keep me posted on this!
    ZZPerformance.com
    Rotiform.com

1983 Fiat 124 Spyder
    1990 Corvette C4 ZR1
    2018 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71
    2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS
    2009 Chevy Savanna 1500
    2018 BMW 328x Diesel

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)