Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

White Smoke is it the PCV?

Tags
pcv smoke white
11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Kp7899 
#1 ·
Recently car hesitated while driving and has been consistently doing it. I lost power and started blowing white smoke. I have 140k miles. I recently checked sparked plugs and the wells were filled with oil. I replaced plugs and boot coil. I then replaced the valve cover gasket. Started up fine, no check engine lights, and doesnt over heat. If I let it idle it doesnt have any issues. After driving a mile or so it hesitates again and blows thick white smoke and loses power. If it was the gasket wouldn't it always blow white smoke even in idle? Been researching YouTube and forums and it all leads to that or the PCV valve. Trying to be optimistic here. I also have a leaking tube that comes from the coolant reservoir. Could that be the issue?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not to be a downer, and full disclosure, I'm only recently acquainted with the Cruze, but that sounds a heck of a lot like a blown head gasket. Are you getting any codes? What temp is the coolant at? If you have coolant coming out from the pressure relief hose, that indicates it is overheating or possibly overfilled when adding coolant. I might be misunderstanding however.

Regarding white smoke in an instance of a blown head gasket, I blew a head gasket in a Suzuki Forenza and it only had large amounts (plumes, if you will) of white smoke after running for a period of time. I'm assuming it took the gasket to get hot and swell before coolant was leaking into the combustion chamber. I didn't get codes at first..took a bit, but when I did it was misfires from multiple cylinders.

Is the smoke white or somewhat blueish? White smoke would be burning coolant or water (start looking towards your heating and cooling end), excessive gas/fuel from fuel delivery system could also cause white smoke. Blue smoke would more likely be burning oil (clogged PCV valve, worn valve guides, blow-by etc.).

#4 ·
Pcv tube, intake manifold, camshaft cover. All part of pcv valve. I suggest buy all new. oem gm parts. It'll fix the problem. As far as coolant, you'll address that as you go. Had the same problem recently. Not anymore. Car runs perfect now. You'll find leaks as you go like turbo inlet gaskets and things like that. The cruze requires attention constantly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.