Am I being scammed? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Am I being scammed?

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    True.

GM's oil used to be semi-synthetic. Short of finding old GM oil, is there any semi-synthetic Dexos1 oils out there?

Plus, I think most quick change places only have a few selections "on tap". Pep Boys seem to have Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Mobil 1. As such, their only Dexos1 rated oil may be the full-synthetic.

I wouldn't call it a scam for a oil change place to say they have to run synthetic oil. Their expertise is on their service, not all the possible options for a specific car. I'd focus on the price.
    There used to be more before full synthetics have become more the norm. Still out there is a Quaker State semi-synthetic as well as valvoline's durablend. Looks like even some dyno oil has been approved for dexos1, though I couldn't recommend especially with the temps associated with our turbos.

https://www.gmdexos.com/

The fact is, the shop charged an insane amount for an oil change, on a Cruze, that takes 4.25 quarts of oil. Bulk filters and bulk oil I am guessing the shop might have $10 into the oil change. Pay the schmuck $12/hr doing the oil change, only took 15 minutes to do, so there's $3 for a total of $13 and then pure profit of $65 for the shop.

I personally use Mobil1 full synthetic. Oil costs me on sale w/ a rebate from mobil $11/5qt jug. Then another $5 for an AC Delco filter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf04 View Post
    There used to be more before full synthetics have become more the norm.
    I think part of it is the retailers pushing back. Oil makers have maybe quadrupled the shelf space they want over the past ~20 years. They've gone from having 3 or 4 weights of (dino) oil and added 3 or 4 weights of high-mileage, 3 or 4 synthetic, 3 or 4 dino-synthetic blends, 3 or 4 high-mileage synthetics, and a few other combinations to their offerings, thus taking way more aisle space which I suspect retailers see little extra return on.

There was a report in the past few years that showed that dino-synthetic blends offered no advantages over pure dino, and I think we're already seeing those fade away. In another few years, we may see nothing by synthetics.

Doug

-- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS
    -- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    Hidden Content

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
    I think part of it is the retailers pushing back. Oil makers have maybe quadrupled the shelf space they want over the past ~20 years. They've gone from having 3 or 4 weights of (dino) oil and added 3 or 4 weights of high-mileage, 3 or 4 synthetic, 3 or 4 dino-synthetic blends, 3 or 4 high-mileage synthetics, and a few other combinations to their offerings, thus taking way more aisle space which I suspect retailers see little extra return on.

There was a report in the past few years that showed that dino-synthetic blends offered no advantages over pure dino, and I think we're already seeing those fade away. In another few years, we may see nothing by synthetics.

Doug

I agree the amount of oil weights has become insane. Synthetic blends have always seemed like a snake oil because there was never any regulation on how much synthetic was added to the blend. No surprise there were studies done to show no improvements over dyno. It seemed more like an additive package to dyno oil than anything. I don't think dyno oil will ever go away though. Still need that market for classic cars and older engine designs.
    plano-doug likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Touring Champion
    It seemed more like an additive package to dyno oil than anything. I don't think dyno oil will ever go away though. Still need that market for classic cars and older engine designs.
    Dino oil. I think you got a bit carried away with the "dyno" from earlier, haha.

I actually run partial synthetic in my '81 Z28. But it is PennGrade 1 - has got an assload of zinc in there for the flat tappet cam.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Group B Rally Champion

I don't think dyno oil will ever go away though. Still need that market for classic cars and older engine designs.
    As long as the market it big enough to justify a separate product. As soon as the demand gets small enough that there's no real price difference, I'll bet it will go away. Nothing wrong with synthetic in a old machine.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

8. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)