Am I being scammed?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Am I being scammed?

Driver's Ed

Am I being scammed?

I don't know much about cars and I think it's actually costing me.
    I usually take my car to get an oil change at Pep boy's because with my last car it was super cheap. it only cost me $19 at that time, BUT now that I got this cruze they are charging me $78 + tax for an oil change.

the employee told me its because they use a special high mileage synthetic oil made just for a Cruze and that the car itself takes a special filter that's cartridge shaped and cost over $20.

is this a real thing or am I being scammed?
    I know my local Chevy dealership charges about the same amount for one but they charge that for any vehicle even if its a normal filter and oil. I never go to the certified dealership for anything because they charge you for that certification in their service almost as much as buying another used car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Drag Racing Champion
    My Hyundai used to cost $40.

The Cruze costs $100 now. And because it's full synthetic required. A synthetic filter is also needed. It's a scam right now but as the older oil cars disappear. Synthetic filters will be the new norm.

$40 was no big deal to have a shop do it. Didn't save me any money from doing it myself. And I didn't have to dispose the oil. $100 is a bit much.

Now, I have a 5 gallon bucket and change my own oil.
    Last edited by snowwy66; 05-29-2019 at 12:04 PM.

I go to the dealer to get it done. Local Uncle Ed's Oil Change wanted $110 for a change, dealership does it for $50.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Touring Champion
    My Volt, which uses Dexos1, just like a Cruze, cost me $30 for an oil change at the dealer. $15 after the mail-in-rebate.

They don't use some kind of Cruze-only oil, just full-synthetic oil. And the cartridge filter, while slightly more expensive than a standard can filter, is not THAT expensive. They're like...$8, instead of $4.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by dragnmastralex View Post
    ...the employee told me its because they use a special high mileage synthetic oil made just for a Cruze and that the car itself takes a special filter that's cartridge shaped and cost over $20.
    Well, they're certainly embellishing things. It needs a particular synthetic oil, Dexos1, about $25 for a 5-qt bottle of Valvoline 5W-30 at Walmart. The filter, PF2257G, common to many of the various Cruze motors, is about 7 bucks, maybe a little less.

That's 32 dollars plus tax. Allowing for tax and regional variations, call it 40 bucks for the retail price of the parts and materials. So I'd say $78+tax is high. But it's not astronomically high. I found a $45-70 range on Angie's List. So Pep Boys is 8 bucks above that.

With this knowledge, you might haggle with them and see if they'll come down a bit. Or you can take the car somewhere else such as Valvoline Instant Oil Change or similar. Before you go, Google for a coupon. I quickly found $10 off for VIOC.

HTH.

Doug

Last edited by plano-doug; 05-29-2019 at 01:44 PM.
    -- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS
    -- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    Hidden Content

Formula One Champion
    I recommend the WIX or the new Amsoil filter
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Super Moderator
    Well the dealership I bought my car from offers lifetime oil change and tire rotation. When negotiating the price of my car, they tried to take that away for the price I was holding out for .....$300 Told them, do it myself anyway who cares. My only problem is the location of the dealership for this "free service." down in Kentucky But they can have it done in @ 25 min so WTH..... Yet to get my first free one done. in @ 2000 miles.
    Pat T. Patman
    '15 Cruze LT/Limited my DD
    '13 Cruze LT/RS (6-sp) • '14 Cruze LT son's DD
    '12 Cruze Eco • '11 Cruze LS(First Cruze)
    '07 Civic • '02 Olds Alero GLS 4dr 5 spd
    '99 Olds Cutlass
    '96 Beretta, Eagle Summit, 92 Achieva SC (First New Car) and 1957 MGA Father's car I restored.
    Hidden Content

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasirl View Post
    I recommend the WIX or the new Amsoil filter
    When I was trying to find a synthetic filter. Was told basically fram and wix are the only manufacturers. They're just rebadged for everybody else. Napa brand and what not.

I was told that by all parts stores. O Reilly was the only store that had it. As much as I hate doing business with them.

Handbrake Released
    You got scammed.

Also you don't need a "synthetic filter" to run synthetic oil. Also, the Cruze does NOT need a synthetic oil, it needs a Dexos1 rated oil. This oil comes in semi-synthetic by some brands and GMs oil. Granted most Dexos1 oils are full synthetic. But, just because the oil is a full synthetic does not mean it is Dexos1 rated either. An example, Mobil1 High Mileage is NOT Dexos1 rated.
    plano-doug likes this.

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf04 View Post
    Also, the Cruze does NOT need a synthetic oil, it needs a Dexos1 rated oil.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf04 View Post
    This oil comes in semi-synthetic by some brands and GMs oil.
    GM's oil used to be semi-synthetic. Short of finding old GM oil, is there any semi-synthetic Dexos1 oils out there?

Plus, I think most quick change places only have a few selections "on tap". Pep Boys seem to have Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Mobil 1. As such, their only Dexos1 rated oil may be the full-synthetic.

I wouldn't call it a scam for a oil change place to say they have to run synthetic oil. Their expertise is on their service, not all the possible options for a specific car. I'd focus on the price.
    obermd likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)