Rough idle, rough acceleration - No MIL codes.
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rough idle, rough acceleration - No MIL codes.

cufarmer is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze

Unhappy Rough idle, rough acceleration - No MIL codes.

About a week ago, I felt a notable jerk mid-acceleration. Check engine light had come on earlier in the day. I've had my fair share of trips to the dealer for repairs and wasn't alarmed by a silly check engine light. Got to the house and checked codes and has P0171 and P0420. By this time, idle was now slightly rough.

I replaced my spark plugs on Saturday with Iridium replacements. Sunday, car ran like pooh! Severe jerking under acceleration (more like refusal to accelerate). Changed the the plugs back to original factory plugs and car became derivable (less pooh). Read forums (thanks for tips) and followed some leads.

Monday, picked up a valve cover at the dealer ($69.00) after noticing, or rather felt, blazing hot gases escaping the PCV valve's ambient air vent. Checked the previously removed new spark plugs for gap to discover they were nowhere near .025~.028. I set plugs aside for the time being and replaced the valve cover and cleared the codes.

Now, car runs like pooh, but smoother under very, very light acceleration. Mid to hard acceleration (as in gas pedal press) is still jerky with nonexistent velocity improvement. To accelerate, I have to keep throttle below 30-ish percent. This evening I changed the pugs after I gaped them to .026~.028.

What I have now is a car that runs poorly (being polite, poorly is an understatement) and with no check engine light or codes.

My Cruze: 2011 1LT, Ice Silver, Connectivity package, Allow wheels, 106,000 miles, 2nd set of tires, 12th oil change - always approved synthetic, and warranty is over!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Did you actually replace the PCV valve and cover? P0171 is frequently the PCV valve and cover.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Retired Moderator
    @ 106K you could have gotten that valve under power train assuming your car had more than 7 miles on it when you purchased it...
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

7k miles... ^^^^^^
    2012 cruze eco, mt, 98,000mi.

Retired Moderator
    The period starts when the new car is titled. Say the car sat up and was driven 44 miles before someone go it, the warranty would say 36,044 B2B 100,044 Power train and like 80,044 emissions in the system. My 03 Mazda 6 was purchased new with 170 miles on it.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

Off-Road Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by merc6 View Post
    the period starts when the new car is titled. Say the car sat up and was driven 44 miles before someone go it, the warranty would say 36,044 b2b 100,044 power train and like 80,044 emissions in the system. My 03 mazda 6 was purchased new with 170 miles on it.
    si cho es corec mi amigo!

cufarmer is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Yes, shiny new valve cover. Car had 9 miles on it at purchase. After changing valve cover, no more codes. But the sputtering and no acceleration continues. It's rough enough to trip the "service stabilitrak/traction control" message. I might pull negative cable and post results.

Driver's Ed
    My car has this exact problem at 34k. I am tuned however. Misfires like no other between 3 and 4k at part throttle. Once it's over 4k it'll go just fine. I've been able to get it to set a p0300 pending but no cel. Usually the computer will refuse to lock the torque converter and set the traction and stability control warning lights on after I drive it trying to get it to set a code.
    I've changed plugs, cleaned map and maf, everything short of replacing the coil pack. So it's on the suspect list until I can test or replace it.
    2012 Cruze 1LT RS
    1989 Taurus SHO

cufarmer is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Thanks everyone. Right, Imaperson. Any idea how to test this coil pack?

Administrator

I don't know how to test it but we had one member having rough idle and when they pulled their coil pack they found one of the coils was starting to corrode.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)